PDA

View Full Version : Need help in finding right size trailer!

Katyusha
Jul. 9, 2012, 09:26 AM
I have a 17h draft x, who, at the top of his ears measure 6'11 (with head slightly elevated.)

He will not load into a 7'2 height trailer, but will load easily into a 7'6 trailer. 7'6 trailers are hard to find, so is 7'4 tall enough? Is there a formula as to how much head room he can be comfortable with? He's got really long ears, so I need to consider that. All I know, is that if he feels the space is too small, he will not load, and I won't make him.

In your opinions, is 7'4 tall enough? I've found a couple of 7'4 trailers I can buy, but if it wasn't big enough, I'd be really bummed.

I appreciate any feedback!!

Jim_in_PA
Jul. 9, 2012, 11:34 AM
If you're looking at newer trailers, many of them are standard at 7'6" interior height these days. Older trailers seem to tend "shorter" based on what I've seen as I start to contemplate a purchase of my own. What you want is what has often been called "extra tall/extra wide".

Katyusha
Jul. 9, 2012, 12:05 PM
If you're looking at newer trailers, many of them are standard at 7'6" interior height these days. Older trailers seem to tend "shorter" based on what I've seen as I start to contemplate a purchase of my own. What you want is what has often been called "extra tall/extra wide".

And therein lies the problem - I'm looking for used, not new :)

countrygal
Jul. 9, 2012, 10:06 PM
A lot of straight load trailers are 7'6" interior height. Coming from someone who owns a giraffe horse, trust me it's worth the wait to get a taller trailer!

goodhors
Jul. 10, 2012, 12:24 AM
I would put the purchase of a trailer dependent on your letting horse try it on. You have to take him to trailer, see if he loads. Then after standing inside, he gets out, does a circle and gets back inside with no issue.

Once, he probably will to load to please you, tries out the fit. Unload so he can think of his experience. Next request to load, he can refuse if he doesn't like it. You will also want to check the width, drafters tend to be more full-bodied than non-draft horses. I want some extra room for my horses to be able to move sideways a little in transit. Of course he should have some length room also, not tight from chest to tail bar, so he can move that way as well. Trailer should not fit like a lycra Slinky!!

Best to try on the trailer, before putting down your money and learning he doesn't like it. Horse people KNOW other horse people are crazy, but will cooperate if they can make a sale!!

I never had any refuse to load when their ears touch the ceiling. We have "the little barn" with a short doorway and low loft floor over the stalls. If horse ears touch anything above them, horse just lowers their head. Bumping their head is their choice, they KNOW where the ceiling is! We keep the young horses in that barn, in tie stalls, and they learn a lot! Makes them easier to bridle, work on mouths, load in any trailers!! Ours are tall, 17H, but not quite the bulk of a draft or draft cross. They wear head bumpers when being hauled, in case someone throws their head up for balance in transit. They have plenty of ceiling room, but have LONG necks to lift head with. They are not built up-headed like draft types either. The big ears are their early warning that solid ceiling is above, so STOP lifting head. I think the stock trailer we use most, is 7ft tall.

JB
Jul. 10, 2012, 08:53 AM
Where are you? I know of a really nice Trail-et Westwind for sale here in NC - super trailer, 7'6" tall.

I have a pretty wide 17h WB and this is plenty wide for him. Now, he's not 4' wide ;) but he takes a 60" long girth, if that helps.

You have to think about resale value too - less than 7'6" gets harder to sell in many cases.

Katyusha
Jul. 10, 2012, 11:27 AM
Where are you? I know of a really nice Trail-et Westwind for sale here in NC - super trailer, 7'6" tall.

I have a pretty wide 17h WB and this is plenty wide for him. Now, he's not 4' wide ;) but he takes a 60" long girth, if that helps.

You have to think about resale value too - less than 7'6" gets harder to sell in many cases.

I'm looking at a Kingston trailer that's 7'5 - and it's actually a little wider than the trailer he will gladly load in...so I don't think one inch will make a difference. Hopefully, the Kingston works!

AKB
Jul. 11, 2012, 06:30 AM
Our Sundowner is 7'6". It carried my neighbor's 18h horse without a proble. My 1600 lb horse fits in and has plenty of room.

Phaxxton
Jul. 11, 2012, 02:36 PM
A lot of straight load trailers are 7'6" interior height. Coming from someone who owns a giraffe horse, trust me it's worth the wait to get a taller trailer!

Agreed on both counts.

I bought my 4-Star trailer used, and it is 7'8". I LOVE the height of it. Definitely don't settle for a size you aren't completely satisfied with.

starborne
Jul. 15, 2012, 12:18 AM
You have a PM.