PDA

View Full Version : First egg!

Arrows Endure
Jul. 8, 2012, 08:42 PM
I just had to share with SOMEONE!

I went in to take care of my chickens, and lo and behold, I found an egg!! My chickies are all about five months old now and I've been waiting anxiously for that first egg. It's little, it's brown, and I'm kind of leaning towards one of my Silver Grey Dorkings laying it because over the last week, they suddenly have bright red faces and combs. Now, we just need to get the Buff Orpingtons to catch up, and I get lots of fresh eggs. Yay!

Guess what I'm having for breakfast in the morning?

Calvincrowe
Jul. 8, 2012, 08:54 PM
Isn't that the most exciting find, ever!? I hate to disappoint you, however, but most pullet eggs (those first, tiny, adorable ones) are all white, no yolk:no:. You'll have to wait until they get a bit bigger before they amount to a real egg.

I have 8 Buff Orps who are 5 weeks old right now. They are outside in their new pen enjoying fresh air, grass and big adventures beyond the giant cardboard box!:lol:

bathsheba8542
Jul. 8, 2012, 09:35 PM
Congratulations! I remember the first time I found an egg in our coop; I saved it and all the shells from the first dozen or so (yes, I'm a little chicken-nutty). Couldn't think about eating it - it's like that first dollar in a new business. : )

cnvh
Jul. 10, 2012, 02:03 PM
Heehee, congratulations!!

Our pullet eggs have almost always been regular eggs, yolk and all, just wee tiny.

Bacardi1
Jul. 10, 2012, 02:39 PM
Congratulations!!! Aren't those first few eggs - albeit small - just great?

And I second the fact that my young girls never produced all-white eggs. That's something that can pop up now & again regardless of the age of the bird.