PDA

View Full Version : Shoeing the baby event horse

Bensmom
Jul. 8, 2012, 03:49 PM
It is perhaps time for the Princess Baby Event Horse to get her first set of shoes and I'd like to gather some wisdom.

Every other horse I have had so far that has competed in anything, in any way, has had really crappy feet and has had to have not only four shoes, but often four shoes, some of which have specially built support for special issues.

The Princess, however, has pretty good feet in general. But, I have noticed that with fly stomping and whatnot that at just three weeks from her last trim, she's got hoof wall cracking and breaking off.

Additionally, she is having some hind end issues for which she is seeing the chiro tomorrow.

So, on to my question -- if I have her first shoes put on Wednesday when the farrier is here to shoe the other two that have shoes, would you start with just front shoes, so that she can get "used" to them, or would you go ahead and shoe all around (which will be the end goal) with the idea that where she will need support to maintain the adjustment she gets tomorrow will be behind?

I know lots of people event and train without shoes, but what I am specifically curious about is whether on a baby horse it is necessary to shoe only in front for a couple of resets before moving to a full set of shoes.

Thanks!

Libby

enjoytheride
Jul. 8, 2012, 04:29 PM
I think I would start with just front shoes since it is cheaper and she's not in heavy work, then you can decide if she needs hind shoes later.

deltawave
Jul. 8, 2012, 04:38 PM
If she's wonky in her hind end and you want to see if shoes will help, I'd stick on four and see how she feels. Shoes can always come off. :)

I prefer shoes all around if a horse is galloping, so I have the option of using studs. It's possible to do very low level stuff barefoot, but here in the land of hard, dry summers my horses' hooves do not hold up barefoot unless they're practically idle. Winter is for pulling shoes, summer is for having the horses ready and able to go out and work without worrying about their feet. :)

Highflyer
Jul. 8, 2012, 05:13 PM
I usually start with just fronts, since if you don't have hinds you don't need studs-- easier and cheaper all around :) Especially if you're just worrying about stomping flies-- that usually is mostly a problem with fronts.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 8, 2012, 07:19 PM
but what I am specifically curious about is whether on a baby horse it is necessary to shoe only in front for a couple of resets before moving to a full set of shoes.

Thanks!

Libby

Talk to your farrier....but if she's having some hind end issues...I'd shoe all around. Just boot her up for a little while after her new shoes...especially bell boots.

Bensmom
Jul. 8, 2012, 10:06 PM
Thank you guys!

I am leaning toward all around as DW and BFNE suggest, mostly because she is weak behind. I really, really, really hate the fact that my area is so dadgum flat. She needs a long gentle hill that we could do some trot work on to really help her get stronger behind.

I'm going to look really hard at the balance of her hinds tomorrow -- Ben had some similar soreness issues at one point, and that is when we discovered how hard he was wearing the outsides of his hind feet. We were able to make some adjustments and he then all his chiro adjustments held for much longer.

She is just getting started, so I want to do whatever I can to prevent hock/stifle trouble in her future :)

I am so excited about getting her out and about -- we just have so much do to fitness wise, for BOTH of us! :yes: :)

PNWjumper
Jul. 9, 2012, 02:23 AM
I did just fronts on my baby when I started him under saddle. We struggled with some hind end wonkiness that I addressed mostly via chiro and conditioning. We put hind shoes on him when I started him up this season (as a 4yo), and what a huge difference they made. I'm kicking myself for not putting hinds on him from day one. I agree with DW and BFNE, and DW is right that you can always pull them if you don't like them.