PDA

View Full Version : Grass in gravel driveway

redhorse5
Jul. 8, 2012, 12:08 PM
I've been trying to use Roundup in the gravel driveway to remove weeds. I spray it but it does not seem to be very effective and then the weeds just come back.

I've been mixing it according to directions. Do I need to make it a bit more concentrated. I'm spraying it a couple of times a week and still can't seem to clear it up and we've been having very little rain.

Any suggestions?

sk_pacer
Jul. 8, 2012, 12:19 PM
Try a soil sterilant - they pretty much stay put and kill grass and weeds for several years.

Guilherme
Jul. 8, 2012, 12:22 PM
Try a soil sterilant - they pretty much stay put and kill grass and weeds for several years.

This.

RoundUp only kills the current plant; it does not prevent regrowth of new plants.

G.

redhorse5
Jul. 8, 2012, 12:28 PM
I just read about it and it looks pretty scary. Does it really migrate into your lawn and kill trees? How far away from the lawn does it need to be to prevent this. Have you used one of these products and not had these problems?

mht
Jul. 8, 2012, 12:42 PM
know any farmers that have 'real' roundup? get some of that. guaranteed to work, especially if you mix it like my husband does.;)

Alagirl
Jul. 8, 2012, 12:47 PM
hit it with a blow torch. you don't have to burn the plant, a short hit does the trick, you don't even have to wilt it.

In Germany you can get these babies with a long wand, kind of like a metal detector so you can just walk your driveway. German people like their driveway neat and tidy! ;)
http://www.hausgartenaccessoires.info/2012/02/20/unkrautvernichter/

You can also pour agricultural vinegar on the weeds. That's at a 10% concentration vs 3 or 4 of what we have in the kitchen.

Asian stores sell essence, that is highly concentrated vinegar, for cooking use you dilute it.
http://www.amazon.com/Surig-Vinegar-Essence-14-oz/dp/B000NY6QJC

http://www.amazon.com/BRADFIELD-INDUSTRIES-INC-HORTICULTURAL-VINEGAR/dp/B0007LTTKO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_gro_3
http://www.amazon.com/Maestro-Gro-20-Vinegar/dp/B0052E9BH2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_gro_5

just what popped up real quicklike...

sk_pacer
Jul. 8, 2012, 02:24 PM
I've never had any trouble with soil sterilants. If you treat only the offending area, there isn't a whole lot else that will be touched. I treat my driveway every 5ish years, just run a line down the area I want to keep grass/weed free and it never goes anywhere else. I have never hurt the crop that is 15 feet south or the hay that is less than that distance north. When I lived in the city, I used sterilant on my sidewalk and it never migrated to the lawn, the flowers or shrubs. Just like any other chemical, or even the so called green specialties, you have to follow directions and use common sense. Directions will tell you how far to stay away from non-target plants and will also give you application rates.

redhorse5
Jul. 8, 2012, 02:34 PM
Thanks, SKP

Foxtrot's
Jul. 8, 2012, 02:39 PM
More and more places are banning the use of herbicide/insecticides for cosmetic purposes - gives me pause to think of what we do to our planet.

Then I think of what the big corporations/mines are doing and think my teeny little contributions probably don't make much difference - then I flop back to think that every little bit helps. Like turning off a little low energy light when the whole town is lit up by huge office blocks with lights on all night.

sk_pacer
Jul. 8, 2012, 03:20 PM
I DO try to be careful with what I use, and only bring out the big guns to control noxious weeds, that I, as a landowner, am obligated to do. Said obnoxious weeds that show up on my lane are barnyard grass (non-native, invasive) sour dock (invasive) something locally called goose grass (non-native invasive), tansy mustard (non-native, invasive), kochia weed (non-native, invasive) and several others that fall into those categories. It's going to be a cold day in hell when I go rogue 1/10 of a mile driveway and the gravelled area around the house and try to yank up stuff with roots that go all the way to China.

Foxtrot's
Jul. 8, 2012, 08:19 PM
Glad to hear it - did not mean to imply - we have the giant hogweed and probably even more noxious weeds than freezing Saskatchewan. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

BarnField
Jul. 8, 2012, 08:23 PM
Tractor + box scraper (box blade)

dani0303
Jul. 8, 2012, 08:26 PM
I have had great results with a product called Landmaster. It is a mixture of 2-4D and Roundup. We sell LOTS of it at work (I work at a farm store) and everyone raves about it.

Just a PSA from a farm store employee- Do NOT mix it more concentrated than the directs suggest (usually 2-4oz per gallon). For some reason, mixing it with a higher concentration basically turns in into a fertilizer and the weeds will not die and in fact grow to be more numerous.

LauraKY
Jul. 8, 2012, 09:26 PM
Just a PSA from a farm store employee- Do NOT mix it more concentrated than the directs suggest (usually 2-4oz per gallon). For some reason, mixing it with a higher concentration basically turns in into a fertilizer and the weeds will not die and in fact grow to be more numerous.

I believe someone is pulling your leg. Different concentrations are required for different weeds and brush. The directions on the label include mixing instructions for 1% to 10% concentrations.