PDA

View Full Version : Black Country Quantum: likes and dislikes?

SnicklefritzG
Jul. 8, 2012, 12:00 PM
I'm considering the BC Quantum as a jumping saddle. I'm curious who else here has tried them and what you liked or disliked about the saddle either in terms of the leather quality or how it actually rode.

I have one on trial and it seems to fit my horse well according to my trainer. I've had only 2 rides in it so far so I haven't formed a complete opinion for myself yet.

SaddleFitterVA
Jul. 8, 2012, 12:03 PM
I had one for a while, and I never could feel like I was in the saddle, I was always on the saddle, and as a result, it was a very unstable saddle for me. When I fell off 3x in 6 or so weeks, off of two different horses, in that saddle (my normal rate of falls averages 1x per 500 rides...or about once a year), I sold it.

SnicklefritzG
Jul. 8, 2012, 12:45 PM
When you say you could never feel like you were "in" the saddle, what do you mean exactly? I felt like this in a synthetic A/P saddle I used to ride in but could never figure out what exactly was happening.

Bensmom
Jul. 8, 2012, 01:27 PM
I absolute adore the BC Quantum -- I have two. I have a wide tree with the regular leather, and a MN tree with the suede/roughout seat and knee roll.

With my newest one, I feel very much like I sit down and around my horse. I haven't found anything I don't like about either one, though I wish the newer one had the extra forward flap that the one for my narrow horses has, but I bought it used and everything else about the saddle was perfect, so I'm ok with the regular flap.

I knew, though, with both of them, as soon as I sat in them, that they were the right saddle. Tried the ricochet, which technically fit the horse ok (she didn't seem *as* happy in it) but I just didn't feel at "home" in it.

Anything else specifically you want to know? My older one is wearing quite well -- it hasn't been used hard, really, but the young girl who rides in it mostly wasn't doing anything care-wise with it until recently, when she got busted for not cleaning/conditioning it regularly, and it has held up quite well anyway. :)

Debbie
Jul. 8, 2012, 02:48 PM
I've got one that I love. I've foxhunted in it in really crappy conditions and always felt very secure. In fact, I think I've fallen from it once in the six years I've had it and riding a huge variety of horses. (Please don't let me have just jinxed myself.)

Shamefully I don't take great care of it. There is some discoloring of the leather at the top and rear of both flaps, but I'd more blame that on my lack of care than the quality of the leather.

Mine is xxw but with a thinline mattes pad I've had on many different body types. I'm looking at a TB as my next horse and that may convince to finally get a narrower one, but I'm all about it being a Quantum when the time comes.

FoxChaser
Jul. 8, 2012, 03:39 PM
I have one that I bought used- love it! My only concern is that I'm eventually going to have to have the seat replaced. It is wearing under my thighs where the seat meets the flap :( Other than that, I adore my saddle.

Outyougo
Jul. 8, 2012, 06:56 PM
i have one I like.

i REALLY liked it when test ridng a Draft Cross with a mighty nasty buck. Indeed I love my saddle..the horse not so much..kept the saddle passed on horse!

My current horse horse is a big TB rather particular about his saddes..likes this saddle when he definatly dis-liked a few of the fancier brands.

Excellent quality for price. I much prefer riding in a wool flocked over foam--that is just me.

cleozowner
Jul. 8, 2012, 08:28 PM
I have the Maelstrom (calf version of Quantum), and when I'm riding in it I don't notice it at all. To me that means I'm not fighting my saddle to keep my position. My horse likes it, too!

SnicklefritzG
Jul. 8, 2012, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone.

How does the leather on the regular version hold up?

My experience with other saddles I've looked at - mainly calfskin - is that they are really soft and break in easily except that after a year or so of very regular use they look a lot older than they really are. Even more so if they are light colored and have marks from boots and stirrup leathers.

How is the quantum in that regard?

FoxChaser
Jul. 9, 2012, 06:49 AM
See my comment re: the seat. Otherwise, it's great!

Tucked_Away
Jul. 9, 2012, 07:20 AM
Love mine (which is the regular leather, seems to be wearing well so far but I've only had it ~18 months, so not really a long-term test) and it's gotten rave reviews from everyone else who's ridden in it, too. Enough support and security when I want it (previous saddle was a barely-there old Collegiate) but never feels in the way or restrictive, and it works very well for my horse. Mine does have a wider twist, which could potentially make it a no-go for some folks, but doesn't bother me. It's the comfiest saddle I've ever ridden in -- just feels very "at home" to me.

fanfayre
Jul. 9, 2012, 11:57 AM
Bought mine (used) 2 weeks ago. The first thing I did with it was ride 2 x/c courses (my young horse's first EVER!) and I felt very secure in it. I love how squishy the seat is. Mine I found out is 4 years old, but looks brand new. Just the regular Quantum, but the leather seems very sturdy.

Fancy That
Jul. 9, 2012, 06:40 PM
Black Country makes GREAT saddles! I tried a XW QuantumX (freedom tree) on my very very wide Morgan.

It didn't suit me at all - but that was just my personal preference and build.

I ended up with an XW County Innovation XTR and that felt like HOME the moment I sat in it :)

PS - here's a photo of the one I had on trial
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk150/elaineshickman/Tack%20and%20Equipment/IMG00320-20110723-1121.jpg

And with me in it. For me, the calf block hit my leg wrong, and the seat felt a little like sitting on a 2 x 4. The seat was WIDE and SOFT (where your butt goes), but I felt something not right under my sit bones. We all have very different conformation so saddles feel different to everyone.

Carried Away
Jul. 10, 2012, 09:16 AM
I love everything about mine! I bought it lightly used from Trumbull Mountain and it fits my difficult to fit horse very well. It's really comfortable and I haven't noticed any wearing or problems with the leather. My favorite part is how the flaps just seem to hug my legs and the blocks are in exactly the right place so I feel very secure. Good luck!

KateKat
Jul. 10, 2012, 02:51 PM
same experience as Fancy That. I REALLY wanted to like this saddle, due to the price point and rave reviews. But unfortunately it felt like I was straddling a board with the way it hit my legs/seat bones.

I thought the leather was very nice. Would have definitely held up well to daily useage. Not as pretty as the french saddles, but very workman like and not horrible on the eyes ;)

FolsomBlues
Jul. 11, 2012, 02:57 PM
I have the BC Ricochet and love it. I custom ordered mine with the buffalo leather on seat and flaps and then the doe skin on the knee and thigh blocks. I love mine. It keeps me in place and has held up great. I've had it for several years now. I ordered mine custom from Caroline Wilde (she lives in the UK and works directly with BC so it was less expensive) and it was everything I wanted.

vxf111
Jul. 11, 2012, 11:05 PM
Love mine. It's hard to find a dislike. I was a little annoyed because the removeable internal blocks are made from different pieces of leather and don't exactly match. It took longer than I was quoted to get it made. Otherwise-- I can't say a bad thing about it. Excellent bang for the buck.

Ainsley688
Jul. 12, 2012, 04:08 PM
I had one, and it was a very high quality saddle. The leather was gorgeous, and SO soft! It just didn't fit the horse at all, and it didn't really fit me. The flaps were just a tad too forward, and the seat a bit too wide. Whoever bought it off of me should be on their hands and knees thanking me, they got it for such a disgusting deal. I REALLY needed rent money, and hay, lol.

I won the lottery for used saddle shopping, and now have a County Stabilizer, with a wide tree, skid row panels, in the XTR leather, AND in the color I wanted. Did I mention I found it used? ONLINE!? And it fits my previously-impossible-to-fit mare.