PDA

View Full Version : need recs for seeding wooded area

Chachie
Jul. 8, 2012, 12:50 PM
I'm clearing about half an acre to use as temporary paddock while we are here. While we would love to have more, right now it isn't possible so we are going to use what we are able to. It will be big enough for the boys to play in and stretch out. There are some old very large trees where I'm clearing that will stay but I'm clearing out the brush.

I know it's a small amount and I will have to stay on top of its maintenance but I don't mind. I like hard work :) I'm clearing this land with nothing but some clippers and a rake - no bush hog for me lol Yes. I am crazy. I'm a horsewoman after all. ;)

I'm wondering if I can seed this area so the boys can have some grazing grass and if I can, what type of seed can I use? It will be shady and not much sun will come through. I'm in the foothills of the Appalachains in Ohio so we will have to use something good for our little area of nowhere.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

birdsong
Jul. 8, 2012, 01:06 PM
OK I'll bite....
I'm a crazy horsewomen too and can be found often in the bushes with said clippers and rake...well sometimes a small chainsaw too.

First, grass seed will need sun to grow well.
Second, the horses hoof on that small of an area will not permit grass to survive.

And I know all of this because....;)

Guilherme
Jul. 8, 2012, 02:11 PM
I'm clearing about half an acre to use as temporary paddock while we are here. While we would love to have more, right now it isn't possible so we are going to use what we are able to. It will be big enough for the boys to play in and stretch out. There are some old very large trees where I'm clearing that will stay but I'm clearing out the brush.

I know it's a small amount and I will have to stay on top of its maintenance but I don't mind. I like hard work :) I'm clearing this land with nothing but some clippers and a rake - no bush hog for me lol Yes. I am crazy. I'm a horsewoman after all. ;)

I'm wondering if I can seed this area so the boys can have some grazing grass and if I can, what type of seed can I use? It will be shady and not much sun will come through. I'm in the foothills of the Appalachains in Ohio so we will have to use something good for our little area of nowhere.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Contact your County Extension Agent. Just what you choose can be very dependent on where you are. It's free (you already paid for it in your taxes). Take advantage of their professional knowledge!!! :)

G.

katarine
Jul. 8, 2012, 03:08 PM
On a half acre with horses there won't be any grass. And they will girdle some of those trees. It's ok- just manage erosion and manure removal...