PDA

View Full Version : How would you deal with this?

showidaho
Jul. 8, 2012, 09:03 AM
I have been away from my home for 10 days at a horse show. I came back late last night and was looking through my mail...I found a handwritten note from a feed sales manager in the pile and quickly called the woman who does all of the chores while I am gone. She said she found the note in the barn when she came back to do evening chores (she feeds lunch at noon and comes back at four)...

It's a handwritten note, with my name at the top, saying:

" Stopped in next door and saw your place. I see you are feeding Sentinel Sr so I left you some coupons. We have a product that can replace your Triple Crown Senior so that you can feed only Blue Seal products. Please call me if you have any questions. Your horses look great and we would love to supply all of your feed."

This is fine...HOWEVER...My farm in PRIVATE. Nobody was there and the ONLY way she could know what I was feeding was to snoop through my feed room, to which the door is always closed. She left me her card. I do not know her. I find it intrusive and inappropriate for her to invite herself into my barn and snoop through my feed room. Am I overreacting? I am considering calling her. Should I just let it go? We have a gated entrance, which was open at the time, but we also have private signs everywhere. What would you do?

tangledweb
Jul. 8, 2012, 09:47 AM
No empty bags visible in trash? No feed delivery that day? Definitely no other way to find out what you feed?

Unless she definitely opened a door to snoop in the feedroom I would not find it more intrusive than any other door to door sales and would ignore it but remember to never buy from them.

BellaLuna
Jul. 8, 2012, 09:57 AM
Yeah, that would bug me. A lot.

I also have a private farm and the thought of someone strolling onto it and examining my property would feel like they simply walked into my home. And opened my closets.

I guess as a sales rep, if you deal with big boarding barns it might not seem so intrusive.

Not sure if I would pitch a fit or simply pitch the note.

bizbachfan
Jul. 8, 2012, 10:04 AM
I would probably not even give it a second thought especially if your gate was open. However on the other hand if it really bothers you call the person. Ask them how they know what you feed. Or just let the person know your barn is private and visitors are not allowed.

GaitedGloryRider
Jul. 8, 2012, 10:07 AM
I think I'd call her up and ask her about it.

Yeah, maybe she saw some bags in the garbage or something (is that even a possibility?)

But then again, she may very well have rummaged through your feed room (and who knows what else finding the right room?)

If the latter is the case, I'd be inclined to let her know how inappropriate that is. Even at a big barn (never mind a small, private one) it's inappropriate. At the big stable I work at I've got explicit instructions to (jokingly of course) "shoot anyone caught in the feed rooms that doesn't belong there". We get solicitations from feed suppliers about once a month, never have any of them been so brazen as to enter our feed rooms without permission.

saddleup
Jul. 8, 2012, 10:43 AM
I would be furious. Sorry, but my place is private and she was trespassing. Call her, tell her in no uncertain terms to stay the heck off your property. Then I'd write a very firm letter to the district manager/supervisor of her company and let them know you find that unacceptable. A real paper letter, not just an email. That should get someone's attention.

SharonA
Jul. 8, 2012, 10:50 AM
If I received that note, I'd just think she was a salesperson who had gotten my feedlist from my feed store/past buying history, and was just making the rounds of her territory leaving a similar note at every barn. If the gate was open, she would have had no way of knowing that you weren't there, and in the sales world, would have felt it was okay to come in and when finding the barn empty, leave a note.

I get notes in my mailbox, often very sweet, saying things like, "I see how hard you work, and how much time you spend playing with your kids and taking care of the house and yard. Let me help you treat yourself to skincare product xyz to pamper yourself...." etc. It is tempting to say, "Oh, she 'gets' me!" and call her up and be BFFs with her. But these lovely notes are from a woman I don't know, who drives around town and does a reverse address search to get your name, and then puts the note in every house that has a swingset/toys/minivan visible. :-) She's just covering all the bases and hoping she gets a couple hits. I don't mind. She's trying to earn a living and not causing me or mine any harm.

But I also like TC Senior, and don't think I'd switch. :-)

goodhors
Jul. 8, 2012, 12:45 PM
I would go visit the local police station WITH her note, asking if anything can be done about this. Is it illegal, what she did? What steps can you do for better security beyond posting No Trespassing signs for those "walk-in folks". I would also call the Feed Company she represents, and report her for bad business practices. Her note COULD have been left on your door, not ever needing to enter the barn. Knowing your brand of feed because she checked the feed room is scary.

She went WAY beyond the line, and I would be very angry she had invaded my space. Checking your feed room is total invasion of private property and you are LUCKY she wasn't the local thieves cleaning out your tack room! Might be a "wake-up call to YOU" and how things are kept at your place. Certainly you need some investment to upgrade your security! Even if you only lock stuff up when you are gone, that is more than what this lady found.

At least you need a gate that has to be opened or climbed over, to enter the perimeter of the barn. Gate can be locked. Yeah, adds to YOUR handling things to go out there. Gate could be helpful if a horse got loose from the barn or paddocks, by keeping horse contained near the barn instead of free to leave by way of the open driveway.

showidaho
Jul. 8, 2012, 01:34 PM
If I received that note, I'd just think she was a salesperson who had gotten my feedlist from my feed store/past buying history, and was just making the rounds of her territory leaving a similar note at every barn. If the gate was open, she would have had no way of knowing that you weren't there, and in the sales world, would have felt it was okay to come in and when finding the barn empty, leave a note.

I get notes in my mailbox, often very sweet, saying things like, "I see how hard you work, and how much time you spend playing with your kids and taking care of the house and yard. Let me help you treat yourself to skincare product xyz to pamper yourself...." etc. It is tempting to say, "Oh, she 'gets' me!" and call her up and be BFFs with her. But these lovely notes are from a woman I don't know, who drives around town and does a reverse address search to get your name, and then puts the note in every house that has a swingset/toys/minivan visible. :-) She's just covering all the bases and hoping she gets a couple hits. I don't mind. She's trying to earn a living and not causing me or mine any harm.

But I also like TC Senior, and don't think I'd switch. :-)

So the gate to the property was CLOSED. She would have to leave her car, slip through the fence, walk down to the barn and then open the feed room door. Thank goodness I lock the tackroom! To see the trash she would have to open the door to the feed room...And I don't deal with sales reps - I buy my feed from a local feed store and they don't have my address. A note in the mailbox wouldn't both me at all...This...I'm bothered. I realize she's trying to make a living and I really like her products. However, this seemed more like trespassing than anything else. I think she got my name off of my meticulously labeled grooming shelf...So, it looks like some people are really bothered, others less so.

nashfad
Jul. 8, 2012, 04:04 PM
You should be bothered. You have been violated. Saddleup hit the nail on the head.

Frank B
Jul. 8, 2012, 04:44 PM
Report the incident to the police/sheriff and to the feed manufacturer.

You'll be doing the manufacturer a favor because of the ill will this intrusive person will generate.

LauraKY
Jul. 8, 2012, 04:53 PM
I'd be bothered...really bothered actually. It's one thing to ring the bell on my front door. It's another to open the gate to the barn and check out my feed room.

Start with complaining to the feed store.

showidaho
Jul. 8, 2012, 06:08 PM
Ok. I'm going to call the woman first and see what she says...Thanks for your input!

goodhors
Jul. 8, 2012, 06:56 PM
Sorry, you should NOT get involved with her by personal contact. She will tell you something, true or not is your own guess.

You don't want to "deal with it" in this situation.

That would include contacting the police, making a report. Contacting her home feed company to PROTEST LOUDLY her intrusion into your farm, OVER the locked gate!! However if you can't be bothered, that is your CHOICE. Even "doing nothing" is a choice you make. You have had your "wake up visit" and don't really plan to do anything about it. So any further issues that develop are on your own head, because you made a CHOICE to do little or nothing about her. She may be harmless, or not. Time will tell.

I have a strong feeling you will come to regret this choice later, but it will be one of those "too little, too late" situations. I sure hope to be proven wrong.

dotneko
Jul. 8, 2012, 07:24 PM
How do you know your next-door-neighbor did not say - go over to sue's farm, I am sure she would be interested in hearing about your grain?
I have a big barn, so this kind of thing happens all the time.
I also have been guilty of sending salesmen across the street to another barn if I think it is something they can use.

Foxtrot's
Jul. 8, 2012, 08:17 PM
I would not like it, but would ask a few qustions before squashing the fly with a mallet.

SharonA
Jul. 8, 2012, 08:47 PM
Apologies, OP; I had understood the original post as the gate was open.

If the gate was closed and she still came in, that would have been trespassing. It was just if the gate was open, I could see her pulling in with the perfectly well-meaning hope of speaking with someone who was around. I thought her note was pretty nice, actually. She just offered to be of help, told you your horses looked great, left you some coupons, and went on her way. I'd be fine with that, myself! :-) I might even welcome such a visit, if the sales pitch was low-key and she did't take up too much time. But, to each their own!

shakeytails
Jul. 8, 2012, 08:50 PM
I wouldn't be too happy about it. I won't walk into a PUBLIC stable if I don't see someone in the barn, and certainly not a private barn. If the gate were open, I could understand someone driving down the driveway and hollering into the barn to see if anyone was there. If not, then the courteous thing to do would be to leave and come back at another time, or leave a note on a doorway OUTSIDE the barn proper. I'd probably call the feed store and ask what the deal is- opening a feed room door (snooping!) is totally unacceptable.

mvp
Jul. 8, 2012, 09:19 PM
Ok. I'm going to call the woman first and see what she says...Thanks for your input!

That's the reasonable thing to do.

*Ask* how she learned what you feed.

If you feel she was snooping, let her know that that was unwelcome.

If she doesn't immediately apologize, then you can go "up the chain of command".... all the way to the cops I suppose. But I wouldn't start there. She's trying to make a living and if she blew it this once but will stop in the future, you did your part.

2DogsFarm
Jul. 9, 2012, 11:47 AM
I would not like it, but would ask a few qustions before squashing the fly with a mallet.
^
This

Yikes - a lot of paranoia on this topic.

I too would not be happy if someone visited my farm in my absence, but before going all postal/filing police reports,etc., I'd call this rep and ask how she determined what I was feeding.

Depending on her answer, I'd then politely inform her I was not happy with her method (WHATEVER IT WAS!)and would be writing to her Regional Manager to advise them.
Maybe she thinks this "Folksy" approach will work. Maybe it has for her in the past.
Now she will know it was not the correct approach for this customer and possibly not a great idea overall.

At Hoosier Horse Fair in Indy this April I had a feed rep as much as tell me my horses would be a lot healthier if I switched to her product.
Um, NTYVM, I came for the advertised free hay analysis. Period.
Even though I just needed to walk away, I found it irritating to be preached to by someone wet behind the ears who had not seen my horses and obviously just wanted to sell product.
BTW: my hay tested just fine.

Trixie
Jul. 9, 2012, 11:56 AM
I would be angry. I would contact and tell her that's unacceptable, and then follow up with a phone call and written note to her superiors.

If the note was found in the barn, that means that she entered your closed gate and went into your barn. Sorry - NO. That's incredibly invasive.

trubandloki
Jul. 9, 2012, 12:02 PM
I guess I misunderstood the original post too, I read it that the gate was open during the day.

I think calling the police is going over board. It is a salesperson trying to make a living.
I think about all the things I have filled out over the years (contests, etc) that state what brand of feeds I use. Getting that information is pretty darn easy. Even the feed store knows. It does not require someone to go snooping around your feed room.

If you truly do not like that this person left you a note call her up and tell her so.

AliO
Jul. 9, 2012, 01:04 PM
I know how you feel! A few weeks ago, while i was in the shower i heard a knock on my door. When i went to the door it was a kid,about 15 years old, looking for his dog. At first i felt sorry for him, until i realized he had to open my gate (that is chained but not locked when in home) and come down my 1/4 mile driveway to get to my house. There is a private property/no trespassing sign on said gate, and very well could've been a pit bull, a doberman, and a French Mastiff on the other side. Not to mention my horses were out front, what if they would've charged the gate?

As innocent as this kid was, it was REALLY stupid for him to cross that gate, and it really bothered me.

I would be very upset that this woman came on your property, and scooped through your barn. I would imagine she has horses, and as innocent as she probably saw it, how would she feel if some stranger came snooping through her barn? Id say something to her. I don't know where you live, but where i live, its legal to shoot someone for being on your property without permission.

Crockpot
Jul. 9, 2012, 01:04 PM
Unless there was a no trespassing sign on your gate, don't see how it would be a police matter for someone to drive in your yard or go in your barn looking for you. SHe should not have looked in your feedroom(if that is what happened- maybe neighbor told her) but still don't see this as a police matter. But then I've noticed what I would consider overreactions before on these sort of threads so perhaps it is cultural.

I'd probably ignore it or at most contact her with my concerns so she knows her methods are not effective but would not bother to involve the police.

gottagrey
Jul. 9, 2012, 01:36 PM
I would call her because you don't know how she got the information - as others have mentioned it's possible she got the info from another feed company - some of them do share info; she could have assumed you were using a popular competitor's feed. She could have driven by the farm on several occasions and spotted feed bags in the trash for pick up/ she could've chatted it up with one of your neighbors friends and they shared the info w/ her - or who knows vet or even farrier...I wouldn't call the police or contact her company until you've spoken w/ the person and asked her about it. When you get the answer you will know how to respond. I too would find it extremely off-putting but I wouldn't want to get the woman in trouble w/ the law or her job, possibly fired over it.

Phaxxton
Jul. 9, 2012, 01:53 PM
I'm not saying the woman did or didn't trespass... but it can still be trespassing if the gate is open. An open or closed gate is not the difference between trespassing or not trespassing on private property, and neither is a "No Trespassing" sign. You can trespass on property with no gates, fencing, or signs at all!

OP, if it really bothers you, I would go ahead and call the woman back. Ask her how she got the information and politely inform her that you don't welcome uninvited visitors or solicitors to your property at any time.

ETA - I completely understand why you feel so violated, though. I would, too. I once had someone contact me through my web site to advertise his hay for sale. I did not respond because I had no interest and wasn't happy to receive unsolicited offers. The day after he sent the email, I got a phone call at the # on my web site. It was a gentleman saying he had emailed me about hay for sale and was sitting in my driveway with some for me to look at. Even though he probably meant no harm, it was one of those "The call is coming from inside the house" feelings at that moment. I looked out my window, and there was a panel van in my driveway. Thankfully he didn't open my gate and drive up to my house (thanks probably in large part to my barking Doberman).

I was sufficiently freaked out. I calmly told him I wasn't interested and asked him to leave my property. He pulled into my neighbor's driveway several times (my neighbors who don't even have horses) and back into my driveway once or twice. I called my friend who works for the Sheriff's Dept and also called the police non-emergency number just ask if they would drive by a few times. Nothing came of it, but it was still a little odd to me. I mean, who goes around selling hay door-to-door in a panel van? I was put off by it to say the least!

My Two Cents
Jul. 9, 2012, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't care if the sales person went to the door, knocked, no one home, left. But to go into someone's barn is trespassing and is certainly crossing the line. It would be interesting to know how they knew what you were feeding.

jcotton
Jul. 9, 2012, 08:20 PM
Put up game/surveillance cameras and watch what happens when you are home and not at home. Also put up "Smile You are on camera" signs -whether it is real or not.

mbm
Jul. 9, 2012, 08:31 PM
i would say the woman is doing her job - and if she is a sales person that is what they do!

you need to post "no solicitation " on your gate.

cutter99
Jul. 9, 2012, 09:15 PM
I am actually a feed saleperson. I personally will not go through a closed gate or onto a property that is posted, but that is me. I have also never felt right "snooping" around someone's farm, even if it is open and not posted. I know that I would not appreciate if someone came on to my farm under those conditions. I leave a bag of samples in a very obvious place, usually on a door knob or handle where animals, includung farm dogs, cannot get at them. I always leave my card as well. I usually do not go to houses as I feel that is interrupting the owner's "down time".

That being said, I have worked for two of the top ten animal nutrition companies, and am well aware how aggressive some salespeople can be. I have been on ride alongs with other sales people and am sometimes apalled at what lengths they will go to find out what someone is feeding and where it is coming from. I know that some of this is personality and some of it is the pressure to always sell more.

I make between 30 to 50 farm calls per week and have taken pride to not violate potential customers and can say that in 13 years of doing this, I've had two negative reactions.

If it were me, I would call the sales rep and politely ask for details and then tell her you did not appreciate her actions and why. If you do not get the response you are looking for, I would then contact the company she works for and explain to her manager what the issue is and why. I'm not sure management always understands what actually goes on out in the real world.

The horse world is shrinking and everyone is looking for growth. Don't be surprised to see more aggressive sales people out there!

JanM
Jul. 10, 2012, 07:17 AM
I agree with JCotton about the cameras (even signs and fake cameras), and ramping up the No Trespassing, No Soliciting signs. And then I would do what Cutter99 suggested about contacting the rep and asking how she got your information about what you're feeding. If she did go through the barn, or refuses to answer how she knew what you're feeding then I would go higher up the chain, and definitely point out that you will prosecute if there are any further violations of your property, and that you will tell every person you know about how they sell their product while breaking the law.

TheJenners
Jul. 10, 2012, 07:44 AM
If I were happy with what I fed, I'd toss the note. If I was interested in the product she sold, I might call her or just Google (or come on here) and see what other people thought of it.

I would definitely ask my neighbor about it. After that, I think there is maybe a 40 percent chance I'd call her and ask how she got her information. I wouldn't be too pissed off with her though, because like someone said, the horse world is shrinking and everyone is in everyone else's manure pile. You wouldn't want to get known as the "did you hear about So-n-so and how she flipped out on the poor feed rep???" in town.

showidaho
Jul. 10, 2012, 08:10 AM
I called her. She didn't answer her phone, but did respond to my polite email asking if she might have a few minutes to chat. She said she wanted to see my facility and my setup before recommending a feed system so she let herself in through my closed gate. She admitted that, in hindsight, it was an egregious error in judgement. She was quite nice and, I think, genuinely apologetic. I was quite nice about it, but firm in my request that she honor the signs and privacy. She agreed. I am glad I talked to her and didn't just toss the note. We both came out ahead. Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

showidaho
Jul. 10, 2012, 08:13 AM
If I were happy with what I fed, I'd toss the note. If I was interested in the product she sold, I might call her or just Google (or come on here) and see what other people thought of it.

I would definitely ask my neighbor about it. After that, I think there is maybe a 40 percent chance I'd call her and ask how she got her information. I wouldn't be too pissed off with her though, because like someone said, the horse world is shrinking and everyone is in everyone else's manure pile. You wouldn't want to get known as the "did you hear about So-n-so and how she flipped out on the poor feed rep???" in town.

While I appreciate how the horse world is shrinking and that I don't want a tarnish on my rep, well, I would rather be known as a so-n-so than allow people to roam about my farm. ;) I suppose being known as the town so-n-so would perhaps help me keep my farm private? :lol:

Trixie
Jul. 10, 2012, 09:34 AM
i would say the woman is doing her job - and if she is a sales person that is what they do!

Um, NO, this is NOT doing her job and it is NOT what they do.

This is called "trespassing" and it's illegal.

This saleswoman and her "job" are not above the law.

Kafue
Jul. 10, 2012, 09:47 AM
Save yourself some time in frustration and try to forget about it. Under Canadian law you can do nothing much about people wandering on your property. Even if somebody is trespassing with obvious crime in mind if you physically challenge them or your dog bites them YOU will be in trouble. Sad but true. I recently heard from a young police officer that even if somebody walks into your house through an unlocked door they cannot be charged unless they actually broke in. We border a fairly busy park and I can't tell you how many folk wander into my property on a weekend. We've found people trying to touch the horses, picnicng and even picking fruit off our fruit trees. It is very frustrating. I have installed security cameras at the barn and i do keep my tack room locked all the time unless I am at the barn.

mbm
Jul. 10, 2012, 10:11 AM
Um, NO, this is NOT doing her job and it is NOT what they do.

This is called "trespassing" and it's illegal.

This saleswoman and her "job" are not above the law.

the way i read the OP the gate was open.

knowing many sales reps, they are aggressive and will walk in even if there are no trespassing signs. the No solicitation sign usually will stop them.

if the gate was closed, then perhaps it is different.

riffling thru people stuff is not cool, unless of course it is on a public road (aka garbage) then there isnt much you can do about it.

personally i would keep my gate locked, and post sings as above.

Trixie
Jul. 10, 2012, 10:34 AM
the way i read the OP the gate was open.

knowing many sales reps, they are aggressive and will walk in even if there are no trespassing signs

That is still NOT acceptable. What part of this is hard? You don't walk into someone's barn uninvited. You have no "right" to be on (or in) their property just because you're selling something.

And also, post 9 says the gate was closed.

HydroPHILE
Jul. 10, 2012, 10:42 AM
I found a handwritten note from a feed sales manager in the pile and quickly called the woman who does all of the chores while I am gone. She said she found the note in the barn when she came back to do evening chores (she feeds lunch at noon and comes back at four)...

" Stopped in next door and saw your place...Please call me if you have any questions. Your horses look great and we would love to supply all of your feed."

This is fine...HOWEVER...My farm in PRIVATE. Nobody was there....We have a gated entrance, which was open at the time, but we also have private signs everywhere. What would you do?

Just some highlights from the OP. The person that does your chores said she found it "in the barn." Where in the barn? On the door? On the outside door? On a corkboard?

You just said above that your gate was open at the time, but no one was around.

This is the scenario I have in my head...

Feed Salesperson gets a list of persons in the area feeding a certain type of feed and decides to make cold calls. I am sure the list doesn't say "private farm" or "public farm" so they don't really know. A lot of public places have "Private" signs posted, for what it's worth.

She drove onto your property, saw that the gate was open (by your own admission above, later refuted) and decided to drive to the barn to see if anyone was around that she could talk to about feed sales.

She walked into the barn, "hello? Anyone here?" and walked around looking for someone to throw her sales pitch to, saw empty bags or whatever of the feed you currently feed, and decided since no one was around that she would just leave a note for whomever.

This is called a "cold call."

If you do not want salespersons making random cold calls at your farm, I would recommend posting a "No Soliciting" sign up somewhere and keeping your gate closed and locked when no one is at your farm.

Going to the police? Filing a police report? How about calling up the individual's supervisor and asking how their salespeople find out what an individual is feeding their horse if it isn't their feed? And go from there.

She had a sales list and was making her rounds and saw a farm with an open gate. Yes, I realize it says gate to property was closed in Post #9, but could the chore person say that because you're thoroughly annoyed and mad? Maybe. Could this person HAVE wandered onto your property? Perhaps. Maybe your farm is listed as a public facility in her sales list/territory list?

I would get answers from supervisors first before jumping to any conclusions.

However, others are right: sometimes cold call salespersons can be aggressive. They have walked into our warehouse at my place of employment before and snooped around before the Warehouse Manager has seen them. OR he doesn't see them at all, and they come up to the office and are stupid enough to make a comment like, "I looked in your warehouse, and....." Know where that gets them? Not a police report. Not the police called. It gets them a "please leave" and an immediate call to their supervisor.

mbm
Jul. 10, 2012, 10:45 AM
Just some highlights from the OP. The person that does your chores said she found it "in the barn." Where in the barn? On the door? On the outside door? On a corkboard?

You just said above that your gate was open at the time, but no one was around.

This is the scenario I have in my head...

Feed Salesperson gets a list of persons in the area feeding a certain type of feed and decides to make cold calls. I am sure the list doesn't say "private farm" or "public farm" so they don't really know. A lot of public places have "Private" signs posted, for what it's worth.

She drove onto your property, saw that the gate was open (by your own admission above,) and decided to drive to the barn to see if anyone was around that she could talk to about feed sales.

She walked into the barn, "hello? Anyone here?" and walked around looking for someone to throw her sales pitch to, saw empty bags or whatever of the feed you currently feed, and decided since no one was around that she would just leave a note for whomever.

This is called a "cold call."

If you do not want salespersons making random cold calls at your farm, I would recommend posting a "No Soliciting" sign up somewhere and keeping your gate closed and locked when no one is at your farm.

Going to the police? Filing a police report? Sending a scathing letter to her superiors? Really?

She had a sales list and was making her rounds and saw a farm with an open gate .... again... bolded above from the OP's post.

exactly!

eta she may not of even needed to "snoop" for feed bags - she would of had a list of calls to make of certain brand feed consumers... she would of known already what type of feed you buy! if you search for feed on google , her company may even of bought the info from google ;)

HydroPHILE
Jul. 10, 2012, 10:46 AM
exactly!

eta she may not of even needed to "snoop" for feed bags - she would of had a list of calls to make of certain bran feed consumers... she would of known already what type of feed you buy! if you search for feed on google , her company may even of bought the info from google ;)

Yep - I get coupons in the mail all the time from rival dog food companies whose marketing material is tailored to go against what we feed. They got that information from my Vet's office.

FWIW...when no one is home at OUR farm, the gate is closed and locked. There is a PRIVATE PROPERTY: No trespassing sign at the top of the road/end of the driveway. Since posting the sign and locking the gate, we haven't had any uninvited visitors to our farm. Prior to that, we had random vehicles driving down the driveway and then turning around by our parked cars......just because. We don't have a farm sign up, etc. Closed and locked is the key (no pun intended.)

nightsong
Jul. 12, 2012, 04:29 AM
I called her. She didn't answer her phone, but did respond to my polite email asking if she might have a few minutes to chat. She said she wanted to see my facility and my setup before recommending a feed system so she let herself in through my closed gate. She admitted that, in hindsight, it was an egregious error in judgement. She was quite nice and, I think, genuinely apologetic. I was quite nice about it, but firm in my request that she honor the signs and privacy. She agreed. I am glad I talked to her and didn't just toss the note. We both came out ahead. Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

I don't think you got a sincere apology from this salesperson. Most door-to-door salespeople are pretty good talkers, and many are slick, with the ability to tell you what will get them in your good graces. After all, their livelihood depends on convincing strangers to do what they (the salesperson) want. And how to approach potential customers (whether to go on their property) is such an absolute basic part of the job that I can't believe she doesn't routinely trespass and invade just like she did with you.