PDA

View Full Version : Hotter than Heck?

VAevent
Jul. 8, 2012, 07:43 AM
Can anyone report on how Saturday went at The Maryland Horse Trials? I can't imagine riding in that heat, but then I'm notoriously wimpy.

JenEM
Jul. 8, 2012, 05:39 PM
I did XC warmup Saturday, and there were a LOT of scratches, at least for the XC portion. Since I could see SJ from where I was, it looked like many opted to do it as a CT, as there was definitely much more traffic through there than I saw head out on to XC.

People really seemed to be taking advantage of the cooling tents and doing everything they could to stay cool, including many not wearing their full XC gear for SJ and taking the time to put on vests/pinneys before going out XC. There only seemed to be a couple of people and horses that struggled with the heat. I know the courses and optimum times were adjusted down as much as possible. It was actually a pleasant surprise to me how well horses and riders seemed to handle the temperatures.

Personally, I wouldn't have ridden in it. I haven't ridden since my dressage lesson early in the week, and was sweltering just standing/sitting around in shorts, under a tent, with a massive jug of ice water.

ZackAttack
Jul. 8, 2012, 11:39 PM
I completed the full HT at BN on Saturday. I think if I had of been competing any higher, I wouldn't have gone. But we were very careful and I was fully prepared to stop at anytime if I felt my horse, or myself was struggling with the heat. It was his very first event and he finished XC full of running and ready for more. The cooling tents were wonderful and I wouldn't have run if they didn't have those. We probably threw fifty or sixty buckets of water on him (and several on myself as well). It took him about 20 mins to cool down completely. I was seriously impressed with everything they did to keep everyone as cool as possible. All ring stewards were perfectly happy to let people take some time before starting SJ or XC to give themselves and their horses a breather. I have always loved the MDHT and will continue to support them.

FitToBeTied
Jul. 9, 2012, 05:17 AM
I'm old enough to remember when eventing ended at the beginning of June and started again in September. I don't like the idea of competing on the hard ground and in the heat. I really do not like the 12 months a year competition schedule that is now prevalent. Some horses never seem to get time off.

ShearConvenience
Jul. 9, 2012, 06:53 AM
I groomed for someone riding training on Saturday. I have to say well done on the part of the event staff. There were awnings at every warm up with bath tub sized water troughs with ice floating in them. They had buckets so you could water your horse and they'd let your dog jump in too. Cross Country had vets with a cooling tent. There were a lot of scratches which had all the divisions running ahead. It actually ended up being kind of nice because you could do your test and then basically come jump whenever you wanted which was great because we eliminated a 3.5 hour wait to jump. The rider I was working for was able to get a stall because there were so many scratches which I'm sure made a huge difference for us. We got set up with box fans and a pop up awning we brought with us and it was nice to have access to a wash stall.
All and all I'd say it really wasn't that bad. Yeah we sweat a lot but we stayed well hydrated and the horse recovered just fine. As far as I know there were no heat related issues on Saturday. Everyone who rode was smart about it and had good attitudes.

yellowbritches
Jul. 9, 2012, 08:29 AM
I'm old enough to remember when eventing ended at the beginning of June and started again in September. I don't like the idea of competing on the hard ground and in the heat. I really do not like the 12 months a year competition schedule that is now prevalent. Some horses never seem to get time off.

When I started seriously eventing in Area 2 nearly 10 years ago, we were done, here, after Seneca. We sometimes went to Groton House, Over the Walls (before it ended), and Millbrook. But, a lot of times we didn't. Started back up here with LHPC or DRPC.

Both the events that came after Seneca were started by the same person, even though that person has nothing to do with them any longer....I blame him for this nonsense :lol::lol:

I'm glad I stuck to my guns about not taking Toby out...I very briefly considered it. We were supposed to take my employer's horse yesterday, but thankfully, common sense prevailed. I feel bad for her, as her luck with getting to events, either due to work schedules or weather, has sucked this spring. Hopefully the fall season will be kinder to her.