PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Fodder Solutions

wildswan
Jul. 7, 2012, 09:37 PM
We saw this vendor at horse expo and were intrigued by the idea. I did a search and couldn't find much on this forum about this process. Is there anyone on this forum with experience using this system? If so, what has your experience been like. What is the cost/day to feed 1 horse. Have you seen a reduction in your overall feed costs? Has the equipment performed well? Have you noticed a change in your horse's overall condition? Would appreciate input.

Aelfleah Farm
Jul. 8, 2012, 06:46 PM
I keep looking at the Fodder-Pro system... Just not ready to sink the money into it yet without hearing of first hand experience from other horse people. So if you hear form anyone, please share!

What I want to know is 1) what sq footage do I need to set up the system and 2) what axillary equipment does it need (special lighting, fans, plumbing, etc).

I mean the system itself is over 3K. Do I then need to buy a greenhouse or something to house it? there isn't room in my garage/workshop/barn for it I don't think.

susanne
Jul. 9, 2012, 01:12 AM
The YouTube videos for Fodder Solutions and FarmTek's version show a metal shed type of structure, which I imagine is insulated.

I've heard of several feed stores setting up a system in a trailer and selling the fodder so that you can see if you like the results before investing.

wildswan
Jul. 9, 2012, 10:49 AM
Yes, the advertising is pretty convincing. Tthe automation built into the "Fodder Solutions" units is very appealing. And there appear to be people using sprouted grains to feed other types of livestock (chickens, cows, alpaca, etc). That is why I am strongly considering buying one. HOWEVER, I have not seen or heard of many people (other than the dealer reps) that are actually using one of these units to produce horse feed.

What I would like to verify is whether or not the system performs as advertised. How many biscuits/day did they produce? How many biscuits/day/horse did they feed? How many person/hours/day were required to perform the tasks associated with growing and feeding the biscuits? What was the costs/biscuit for utility service and materials (electricity, water, seed, nutrients, etc)? Did they see an improvement in the overall health and/or performance of their horses? If so, in what way?

Anyone out there with experience in feeding horses with this system PLEASE weigh in.

wildswan
Aug. 6, 2012, 12:47 PM
BUMP