PDA

View Full Version : Army Worms in WA State

JmpR_1
Jul. 6, 2012, 11:28 PM
Heads up for people in/near St. Helens area.
Army worms have invaded. These things will destroy crops in minutes. There is another thread about them attacking in the east. Trust me, you want to kill these things before they take over!

Bluey
Jul. 7, 2012, 07:03 AM
Heads up for people in/near St. Helens area.
Army worms have invaded. These things will destroy crops in minutes. There is another thread about them attacking in the east. Trust me, you want to kill these things before they take over!

We expect them here also, we had the worst miller year we ever had.
I had to use the vacuum ever evening in the house sweeping hundreds of these things for hours.
They were like a horror movie and those are what army worms are.:no:

I have never in my life seen by far that many of those, everyone here was talking about it and are now ready for the worms.

Those army worms, when thick, can eat all the grass in a yard or pasture in a day or two, scorched earth style.:eek:

TrueColours
Jul. 7, 2012, 08:38 AM
They have devastated crops in this area. Huge fields of wheat look great today and by tomorrow you'd swear the field had been harvested - there is nothing left except some stalks sticking up in the air. All of the seed heads are gone

The first 2 hay fields we cut emerged unscathed - didnt see one. The next 5 fields that were cut 2 weeks later, the bloody things were everywhere and the equipment was coated in a black mashed slurry from them and our yields were probably 1/2 - 2/3 of what it should have been

We are doing 2nd cut in 2 fields tomorrow and so far - the hay looks perfect and well developed with nary an army worm in sight and the rest of the fields look like they are coming up very well also. Thank God!

We are in a huge market garden area and the vegetable crops were heavily damaged as well from them

Yes - army worms are there each year but not in the numbers we saw this year. In past years they were a minor nuisance or in such small numbers you didnt see or feel their effect. This year they totally and completely decimated entire fields so badly some of the farmers have lost their entire crop for this year

Hay is in very short supply around here this year and the prices will skyrocket. Many of the hay farmers that traditionally send 1/3-1/2 or more of their crop stateside or overseas, dont even have enough to supply their local clients so what is happening here will have far reaching effects

I consider myself SO fortunate that I have good hay fields with good to excellent yields, that bounce back quickly time and time again no matter how bad the conditions appear to be. Right now we are in virtual drought conditions since they were cut with only 1 minimal rainfall on them and they are all coming back beautifully

Now I am crossing my fingers that once 2nd is off, 3rd will come up as well so the fellow that cuts my hay that has cows to feed, will get enough to feed his critters as well