PDA

View Full Version : Too hot and dry to put down nitrogen?

mpsbarnmanager
Jul. 6, 2012, 05:18 PM
We had our hay cut late this year due to constant wet weather, got it cut june 20, I think. I want to fertilize it, but I was told by my southern states gal that it might burn my pasture since it is so hot and kind of dry. She said I could do urea or they had a 60-40-0. They also have a 32% N and a 46?%N. I want to do something, I know Tamera in TN has recommended in the past to put down 2-4D and then fertilize. I have done a soil sample and am high in all the other areas and the rec was 50-60 lbs N/A. I know I need to lime but that is going to be done this fall. Anyone care to educate me on the particulars?

Tamara in TN
Jul. 6, 2012, 06:21 PM
what is your end goal?

Tamara

mpsbarnmanager
Jul. 6, 2012, 07:36 PM
To make as much hay as possible on 6 acres.

secretariat
Jul. 6, 2012, 10:00 PM
I would not fertilize in the summer, unless it's wet. Fall is the best time under most circumstances, but even then needs some moisture. You need to balance top growth with root stock, and long term root feeding wins every time.

Tamara in TN
Jul. 7, 2012, 09:36 AM
second try:

what is your end goal in tons/acre?
what is currently seeded there? % would be great.
are you or do you plan to double crop warm and cool season?
what is you weed pressure for stems/ft ? from what?
what is your stand in stems/ft ?
are you no tilling or broadcast overs seeding?

with a plot that tiny you can baby sit the hell out of it and recreate a bit of Ireland right in the back yard,but there are variables more than heat to consider...

Tamara

Tamara in TN
Jul. 9, 2012, 01:45 PM
put down 100 lbs per acre of 46-0-0 for a mid season bump

put in down in the late evening or before a rain and you'll be fine

Tamara

mpsbarnmanager
Jul. 9, 2012, 09:18 PM
second try:

what is your end goal in tons/acre?Not sure what would be considered good or bad as far as yield
what is currently seeded there? About 45% benchmark orchardgrass, 45% endophyte free fescue, and 10% will ladino white clover% would be great.
are you or do you plan to double crop warm and cool season? no
what is you weed pressure for stems/ft ? from what? Not sure exactly what this means, there are no broadleaf weeds that I have seen, have sprayed it with 2-4d
what is your stand in stems/ft ? not sure, do I just go pick a random spot and count?
are you no tilling or broadcast overs seeding? Overseeding

with a plot that tiny you can baby sit the hell out of it and recreate a bit of Ireland right in the back yard,but there are variables more than heat to consider...

Tamara

Sorry for the vague answer, wasn't trying to be dense, just didn't know what you were asking.

mpsbarnmanager
Jul. 9, 2012, 09:20 PM
put down 100 lbs per acre of 46-0-0 for a mid season bump

put in down in the late evening or before a rain and you'll be fine

Tamara

That means a 46% nitrogen, right? We are coming out of a TERRIBLE heat wave, 40-60% chance of rain every day, so I think I am going to put something down.

Tamara in TN
Jul. 9, 2012, 09:54 PM
That means a 46% nitrogen, right? We are coming out of a TERRIBLE heat wave, 40-60% chance of rain every day, so I think I am going to put something down.

yes....rock and roll with it while you can :)

Tamara

goldenrow
Jul. 10, 2012, 10:00 AM
I am not familiar with the agronomic environment you have in VA, but here in the Upper MW, we have been telling everyone to wait. Right now, everything in so brown and crispy, the N will sit on the surface and volatize before any H2O will be available to take it into the soil. If there are still any green plants, the volatizing N will burn the bottoms of the leaves, and add more stress.

If you are in this kind of environmental situation - save your money, and wait until the plants come back from the dead before you fertilize.

This drought is getting ugly, folks. Be prepared.

Tamara in TN
Jul. 10, 2012, 10:14 AM
Sorry for the vague answer, wasn't trying to be dense, just didn't know what you were asking.

gotta jet into town but will reply to the rest later

Tamara

mpsbarnmanager
Jul. 10, 2012, 12:10 PM
I am not familiar with the agronomic environment you have in VA, but here in the Upper MW, we have been telling everyone to wait. Right now, everything in so brown and crispy, the N will sit on the surface and volatize before any H2O will be available to take it into the soil. If there are still any green plants, the volatizing N will burn the bottoms of the leaves, and add more stress.

If you are in this kind of environmental situation - save your money, and wait until the plants come back from the dead before you fertilize.

This drought is getting ugly, folks. Be prepared.

Everything here is still green, and we got good rain yesterday and this morning, with rain in the forecast for the next 4 days. My great uncle lives behind me and he said I could try putting down just a little urea right now while it is raining and it would probably be ok. I know the best time is spring and fall, here that is feb and sept, but as Tamara said, looking to get a mid season boost since growth has slowed. The field in question is about 8 in tall right now.

Tamara in TN
Jul. 10, 2012, 01:05 PM
Everything here is still green, and we got good rain yesterday and this morning, with rain in the forecast for the next 4 days. My great uncle lives behind me and he said I could try putting down just a little urea right now while it is raining and it would probably be ok. I know the best time is spring and fall, here that is feb and sept, but as Tamara said, looking to get a mid season boost since growth has slowed. The field in question is about 8 in tall right now.

the best time to put down nitrogen is after every cutting....you have to replace what you take away each time...

Tamara

mpsbarnmanager
Jul. 10, 2012, 01:23 PM
Meant to add that great uncle is a farmer, and I wanted to get his opinion too. I meant to do it right after is was cut, but... I didn't. Then I turned around and it was 3 weeks ago!

mpsbarnmanager
Jul. 10, 2012, 01:25 PM
So I guess I will go for it, and hope we get more rain so it doesn't burn it. Pretty sure we will.

carolprudm
Jul. 11, 2012, 05:19 PM
So I guess I will go for it, and hope we get more rain so it doesn't burn it. Pretty sure we will.

Please send some rain here