PDA

View Full Version : Barn roof color?

password
Jul. 6, 2012, 04:52 PM
Barn builder wants to build a barn with a dark colored roof because it will match the other buildings better but the climate is very hot in the summer. Does the color make a big enough difference to matter? We always assumed that lighter would be cooler but he says not enough to make a difference.

rmh_rider
Jul. 6, 2012, 04:58 PM
White roof only. Unless you live in AK.

Also ALL skylights should be clear.

Think how much hotter the barn would be today if it was dark.

White. White only. Just like on a horse trailer. White roof. White only.

Maybe he should build you two barns. Identical. One with a white roof and one with a dark one. Then decide. Of course on his pocket book.

If you want hot pink, then you should have it. Do what you want, not him.

mpsbarnmanager
Jul. 6, 2012, 05:24 PM
Is it metal or shingles or something else? I should think that clear skylights are a given. Our roof is sky blue metal over sheet insulation over plywood, so for me color does not matter. What kind of roofing material even comes in white?? Never seen any that I can recall.

BaroquePony
Jul. 6, 2012, 05:50 PM
Steel rooofing comes in white and many colors and styles.

Some pretty fancy steel out there these days. I am going to be using regular 5-V Crimp (there's another name for it also, but I forget what it is) Steel over plywood and insulated 10 inch rafters.

Lifetime gauranteed, held down with screws with rubber washers .... they even do them with totally hidden/protected screws theses days if you like.

ReSomething
Jul. 6, 2012, 08:44 PM
They used to use plain old galvanized shiny too. Corrugated tin they called it I think.
Our shop has a red metal roof without insulation, and sand colored metal sides, it gets really hot in there during weather like this and I couldn't tell you if the color makes the roof hotter than the side or not - its the sun beating down on it and the lack of shade.
If you have good insulation I don't think it matters.

JB
Jul. 6, 2012, 09:19 PM
Skylights in a hot climate just invite the sun to shine right down into the barn alllll day long. Do you really want that?

Yes, white/light reflects more heat than dark. I am SURE there are studies that tell you just how much.

I am not sure it makes enough of a difference in a barn if there are also big open doors on both ends and preferably also at least exterior stall windows. I would assume a barn built in a hot climate would be very open to start with.

Bluey
Jul. 6, 2012, 10:00 PM
Light colors reflect light better, unless you also consider the materials:

Albedo:
Albedo, or solar reflectance, is a measure of a material's ability to reflect sunlight (including the visible, infrared, and ultraviolet wavelengths) on a scale of 0 to 1. An albedo value of 0.0 indicates that the surface absorbs all solar radiation, and a 1.0 albedo value represents total reflectivity. The ENERGY STAR Reflective Roof Products criteria specify an albedo of 0.65 or higher for low-slope roof applications and 0.25 for sloped roofs.

password
Jul. 6, 2012, 10:53 PM
We were going to stay away from skylights because of the heat. Just resisting the darker color a bit but the builder is really trying to convince us to go with the darker colored metal roof because it looks better. The barn would be open and airy regarding windows and doors and the ceiling is high.

Bluey, I'll try to find out about what you were referring to. Thanks to all for your thoughts!

kalidascope
Jul. 6, 2012, 10:54 PM
White roof only. Unless you live in AK.
White. White only. Just like on a horse trailer. White roof. White only.
Sooooo ... what colour did you think she should go with again? :lol:

Underthebridge
Jul. 6, 2012, 11:02 PM
I did my own study, with shingles, composition roof, I was told dark would make no difference, I had to put sprinklers on the roof, unbearable.

BaroquePony
Jul. 6, 2012, 11:14 PM
Some of the steel roofong maufacturers list the reflectivity values (or whatever they are called) and the light colors DO make quite a bit of difference.

They have a very light grey, light tan, putty, white, oyster white, .... and then the ratings begin to change getting into the medium light tones .... all the way to the dark tones.

I would love a dark roof for the looks, but no way for the heat.

Living in North Carolina.

password
Jul. 7, 2012, 11:01 AM
I did my own study, with shingles, composition roof, I was told dark would make no difference, I had to put sprinklers on the roof, unbearable.

Do you mean that you chose a dark roof and it was so hot that you had to put sprinklers on the roof?

password
Jul. 7, 2012, 11:35 AM
And how much of a difference does everybody think that insulation makes in hot climates? Been in barns with insulation and without and frankly, they are both still extremely hot when it's hot outside!

SAcres
Jul. 7, 2012, 11:56 AM
No opinion on roof color, but personally, I would put skylights in. My barn has skylights all along the aisle and it puts wonderful light into the barn. I don't have to turn lights on until dusk. Even on cloudy, rainy days (boy could my area use some of those right now!) there is still enough light. I don't think my barn is any hotter than the barns in my area without skylights. I do have many fans running for airflow and tops of all the dutch doors stay open.

Equibrit
Jul. 7, 2012, 12:16 PM
Insulation makes a huge difference in Georgia, and prevents condensation. One of the very best things you can do with the roof is to install ridge vents. http://www.metalbuildingaccessories.com/Accessories/ventsHome.asp

ponygirl
Jul. 7, 2012, 12:26 PM
Insulation makes a huge difference in Georgia, and prevents condensation.

This! I have white roofed barns. Most in my area have light colored roofs.

password
Jul. 7, 2012, 12:55 PM
Insulation makes a huge difference in Georgia, and prevents condensation. One of the very best things you can do with the roof is to install ridge vents. http://www.metalbuildingaccessories.com/Accessories/ventsHome.asp

Do you like them better than exhaust fans? Or how about ceiling fans versus box fans?

Equibrit
Jul. 7, 2012, 02:00 PM
Yes - they require no power other than natural convection. When used properly with fans you can keep tha air flowing up and out. They are good during the winter too when you don't want a fan running. A safe outdoor reversible ceiling fan will always be better than a box fan.

JB
Jul. 7, 2012, 06:40 PM
I'm not even sure it's legal to not use ridge vents around here LOL

Underthebridge
Jul. 7, 2012, 07:24 PM
Do you mean that you chose a dark roof and it was so hot that you had to put sprinklers on the roof?

Yes, I went from light grey to very dark, they probably looked black, big mistake, my metal barn roof is light grey:)

House is sold and redone, never again.