PDA

View Full Version : My Duck is Going to Be a Star!

Daydream Believer
Jul. 6, 2012, 04:00 PM
OK..for real...one of my Muscovy Ducks just left today to do a magic act in Norfolk tomorrow night. :D

I got a call about a week ago from someone trying to find a white duck (Pekin or another similar type) to use as a prop in a magic show...some sort of convention ongoing in Norfolk this week. The folks who need her are from Minnesota and were not allowed to bring their own ducks by the airlines due to the extreme heat..so they found themselves in a bind.

So we worked it all out and the young man who is doing the act and his father came and picked her up this afternoon. Such NICE people! They obviously knew how to handle her and promised to care for her well.

Best thing is my husband and I get in free to see the show tomorrow night! Now how crazy funny is that? Who'd think that bing a farmer would give you such fringe benefits? :lol::lol::lol:

Ms. Duck is less than enthusiastic but was headed off in her dog carrier "nest" and she was promised a swim in the Hilton's bathtub (seriously). She got a bit dirty spilling her water in the crate. :lol::lol:

I was given this video to review the act before I agreed to lend them a duck so you can see all that he will do with her. Apparently he hands her to his Dad behind the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yt0t_3HMYQ&feature=youtu.be

I'll try and get pics tomorrow night. I can't wait! I don't' get many nights out on the town and have never been to a show like this one!

Riding is fundamental
Jul. 6, 2012, 04:07 PM
That is awesome! Have a great time!

JBCool
Jul. 6, 2012, 04:19 PM
Very funny and cute! Have fun and hope your duck enjoys his 15 minutes of fame. :)

hundredacres
Jul. 6, 2012, 04:41 PM
That is SO funny! It reminds me of the time my husband came home from a bike ride and said, "Some circus people from Europe are coming over in a few minutes...."!! Out of the blue!....they came, we showed them around, they took a million pictures and we got front row seats to their fabulous show! They didn't borrow and animal but they loved on the ones here :).

Mukluk
Jul. 8, 2012, 01:51 PM
Hooray for your Duck!!!!! Hope she has a great time!

leaf
Jul. 8, 2012, 02:27 PM
What a Hoot! Just think, this could be the beginning of a lucrative career in show biz. There could be Hollywood talent scouts in the audience. Hope you have a grand time and Ms Duck doesn't get the swell head.

Daydream Believer
Jul. 8, 2012, 04:56 PM
Well the show went off pretty well last night. We did enjoy the show a lot. Ms. duck behaved herself more or less and only scratched the magician at the end of the act slightly. He even carried her down into the audience for a bit and I held by breath. We got our picture taken with the magician, his father, and the duck which I'll share when I get it in my email.

We brought her home last night and put her out with her buddies and she seems back to normal now..waddling around all day. Seems like her moment in the limelight did not spoil her for being a farm duck!

hundredacres...what fun with the circus people! Wow! I just listened to the audiobook "Water for Elephants" and I highly recommend it if you have not read it yet. It is all about the circus and the culture of it. I haven't enjoyed a book that much in a while.

Zu Zu
Jul. 8, 2012, 05:20 PM
Glad she was a 'STAR' ! :cool:

hundredacres
Jul. 8, 2012, 05:47 PM
I can't wait to see the picture and I hope the other ducks aren't too jealous.

I did read Water for Elephants - LOVED it. I also read another book by the same author about a woman who rides dressage (I can't remember the name right now) - it was the worst book I've ever read. In fact, I didn't read the last 10 pages because I didn't care how it ended. LOL.....weird that she can write something so great like WFE and then that bomb! Anyway....I'm glad your duck is home safe and sound!

Daydream Believer
Jul. 8, 2012, 09:07 PM
Didn't the author, Sara Gruen, post on this forum for a while? Seems like I remember her...but I may be wrong. I think I read that other book too and while I thought it was OK, it was definitely not on par with Water for Elephants which was simply excellent. The audiobook was very well read and performed also...you could almost feel the frustration and despair of the old man in the nursing home. It gave me a whole new perspective on getting old!

I have to say too the I LOVED the ending!

No the other ducks did not seem jealous at all! Her mate, was a bit annoyed I think that she went missing.

JBCool
Jul. 9, 2012, 11:18 AM
That is SO funny! It reminds me of the time my husband came home from a bike ride and said, "Some circus people from Europe are coming over in a few minutes...."!! Out of the blue!....they came, we showed them around, they took a million pictures and we got front row seats to their fabulous show! They didn't borrow and animal but they loved on the ones here :).

I got picked up from band practice in high school early b/c a couple from France had stopped by. Very confused b/c we didn't know anyone from France. Turns out, the guy wrote for a French horse-trekking magazine and was going to ride across/around the US on a mule and they needed a place to park the RV and the mules for the weekend! We loved them and I don't think any of us will forget them.

JBCool
Jul. 9, 2012, 11:19 AM
PS, not meaning to hijack the thread! Congrats on Ms Duck being a good girl and not letting the fame go to her head. :)