PDA

View Full Version : Generators at Events?

SparklePlenty
Jul. 6, 2012, 03:47 PM
Before everyone thinks i'm crazy .. this is just an idea. :D

Due to the excessive heat we are facing in MD this weekend, i've been debating on whether or not to bring my little generator and run it with box fans to blow directly on my horse to keep her cool in between phases.

Obviously if it gets too hot, i just wont go - or i'll go and just not run xcountry.

Either way.. am i crazy to even consider this??

TIA!

Fergs
Jul. 6, 2012, 03:50 PM
Nope; I've seen it done a lot!

piaffeprincess98
Jul. 6, 2012, 03:56 PM
It's going to get too hot. No question about that! I would bring it if it wasn't too noisy. I wish I had one!

Gestalt
Jul. 6, 2012, 03:57 PM
A friend that shows mules at Bishop always takes a water/spray system that they set up in the stall to "mist". I've seen fans at dog shows running on batteries.

trubandloki
Jul. 6, 2012, 03:59 PM
I think that is a great idea.

yellowbritches
Jul. 6, 2012, 04:09 PM
Honestly, while the idea isn't bad (just noisy), I think you're crazy for even considering going, especially if you are supposed to go tomorrow, when it will be up to 100 by noon (at least). It's not the standing around part that's going to suck (the most). It's the actual riding part...any of it. It will be heinous, dangerous, and very unhealthy for man and horse. :no:

Stay home. You will both be far better off.

snoopy
Jul. 6, 2012, 04:10 PM
honda makes a great quiet small generator....perfect for horse shows.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 6, 2012, 04:25 PM
I'm shopping for one tomorrow (little gas one). I think it is a useful thing to have at shows.

That said, I scratched my horse for MD tomorrow. Trainer rides him and said she would be fine in the heat...but we decided it is going to be just too hot and he doesn't need the run. Our times were not early enough for me to even try.

But I've seen many with those little generators and they are not very loud at all. Really makes a big difference if you can keep a few fans going.

Blugal
Jul. 6, 2012, 04:28 PM
Wonder how many of these the show grounds can handle before there's a power outage?

snoopy
Jul. 6, 2012, 04:32 PM
Wonder how many of these the show grounds can handle before there's a power outage?

That is the point of a generator....they make their own power.

secretariat
Jul. 6, 2012, 04:54 PM
Heat management comment - we were fortunate to have the use of a misting Big Ass fan at our clinic last weekend. Holy crap - better than an AC! Beware the cheap stuff, but this one was the real deal - cooled the whole barn aisle what seemed like 20oF!

And it was 120vac, so could be run off a gen if you've got the water. But it'd take one of the slots in your horse trailer it was so big!

SparklePlenty
Jul. 6, 2012, 05:41 PM
LOL - well i feel better!

No i'm not riding tomorrow THANK GOODNESS! I ride late afternoon sunday, so i'll have most of the day to decide whether or not i'm going at all, or if i go and just dont run xcountry.

So you'll know its me sunday if you see a red mare with a huge box fan surrounding her. LOL

Blugal
Jul. 6, 2012, 05:52 PM
That is the point of a generator....they make their own power.

Apparently I missed the point!! :lol:

Ok, so now I can just snark about the noise of generators...

snoopy
Jul. 6, 2012, 06:04 PM

;)

deltawave
Jul. 6, 2012, 06:20 PM
Yeah . . . really noisy. At least give half a thought as to where you place it WRT noise and emissions.

I can't imagine riding, much less competing in these horrid temperatures. My horses are all pretty much on vacation. :sigh:

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 6, 2012, 06:27 PM

There was one at the trailer next to me last weekend. It wasn't loud at all. The fans made far more noise than the generator. But it was fine from my perspective. Remember...most of us are talking one day events where you are working out of your trailer. There isn't much sitting around....and anything that keeps the horses left on the trailer or helps cool horses out is great in my book!

Beam Me Up
Jul. 6, 2012, 06:45 PM
I got a couple 14" battery fans @ Home Depot that are surprisingly good. I rig those up in my trailer.

I signed up to volunteer for this weekend and am struggling to psych up even for that, though. I like the heat but this has been crazy.

Blugal
Jul. 6, 2012, 07:04 PM
Also, can I just mention that yesterday was the first day since April when I didn't have to wear a sweater outside? I was wearing Smartwool socks last week... It is hard for me to imagine the heatwave on the other coast!

judybigredpony
Jul. 6, 2012, 07:58 PM
Honestly, while the idea isn't bad (just noisy), I think you're crazy for even considering going, especially if you are supposed to go tomorrow, when it will be up to 100 by noon (at least). It's not the standing around part that's going to suck (the most). It's the actual riding part...any of it. It will be heinous, dangerous, and very unhealthy for man and horse. :no:

Stay home. You will both be far better off.

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: Cecil County has rolling heat warnings for tomorrow so you its gonna be BAD

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 6, 2012, 08:03 PM
Also, can I just mention that yesterday was the first day since April when I didn't have to wear a sweater outside? I was wearing Smartwool socks last week... It is hard for me to imagine the heatwave on the other coast!

Just think...it was 80 degrees by 8am (and felt hotter) with high humidity. But since I hate cold....I'm not complaining.

JenEM
Jul. 6, 2012, 08:43 PM
I signed up to volunteer for this weekend and am struggling to psych up even for that, though. I like the heat but this has been crazy.

I'm volunteering tomorrow, too, and for the first time, I'm not really looking forward to being out jump judging. 102? Ugh. It will be interesting to see how many end up scratching. I haven't ridden since my lesson Tuesday, because it's just been too darn hot.

If you're there tomorrow, I'll be in blue check shorts and a white shirt. Say hello :)

judybigredpony
Jul. 8, 2012, 07:55 PM
Well how did everyone fair in the heat....we started before 6 and had everyone mucked fed watered in and all t/o's done by 8AM drenched in sweat, showered and catching up on recoreded TV shows by 10, w/ A/C cranked up :)

Carol Ames
Jul. 8, 2012, 08:31 PM
I saw that at one very hot summer event in KY; those were the only horses not:no: miserable :eek:after a storm :owent through on XC day

JER
Jul. 8, 2012, 10:25 PM
What a bunch of east coast sissies. :D

I've been at HTs in CA where the mercury was above 110F by 9 am. This is normal in some places.

On one memorably cozy occasion, coats weren't waived for SJ. Parents were openly heckling the judge but she wouldn't budge on the issue.

But anytime the weather conditions mean that you won't have a good time, then don't go and don't feel bad about it. Eventing is supposed to be fun.

:)

Beam Me Up
Jul. 8, 2012, 10:26 PM
I'm volunteering tomorrow, too, and for the first time, I'm not really looking forward to being out jump judging. 102? Ugh. It will be interesting to see how many end up scratching. I haven't ridden since my lesson Tuesday, because it's just been too darn hot.

If you're there tomorrow, I'll be in blue check shorts and a white shirt. Say hello :)

Oh, sorry, just seeing this now, hope you had a good day. I was a dressage scribe. Anyway, as hot and uncomfortable as it was, I was surprised by how many people did run, and how relatively comfortable they appeared. About 10 minutes after I left the storms started, though. That must have been exciting for the last couple divisions.

Fergs
Jul. 8, 2012, 10:51 PM
I've been at HTs in CA where the mercury was above 110F by 9 am. This is normal in some places.

Sorry, but 110 in the hottest desert of Arizona doesn't even compare with 90s and high humidity in Virginia or Maryland. You can't even begin to imagine the sweat and inability to breathe!! I won't even mention the bugs, which at Loch Moy I know are horrendous...

Hope everyone who ran had fun and are all cooled down by now!

gottagrey
Jul. 9, 2012, 12:38 AM
I got a 10" box fan which operates on batteries from Bed bath & Beyond. Its Made by O2 or something like that - also Target, Walmart have them apparently as well. They are about $24-$30 each + the cost of the D batteries. Runs pretty good -but I would get at least 2. They have a handle so you can hang them up / they have a fairly solid base if you want to stand them. Shoot get 3 - 2 for trailer and 1 for tack room and then you have 3 battery operated fans for when the power shuts off again from storms.:yes: Might be cheaper than a generator. You can also invest in one of those battery/generator jobs you can get at auto stores -

gottagrey
Jul. 9, 2012, 12:47 AM
What a bunch of east coast sissies. :D

But anytime the weather conditions mean that you won't have a good time, then don't go and don't feel bad about it. Eventing is supposed to be fun.

:)

Its all about acclimation - some horses might tolerate the heat more than others. Additionally we've had little to no rain so the ground is hard as rock. Couple the heat and hard ground = horse vacation. and BTW I used to live in 29 Palms California where 110 +was the norm ... the stables closed at 10:00am and reopened around 4:00pm during the hot summer months - now you want to tell the Marines who closed the stable during the hot part of the day they are sissies?? :eek:

yellowbritches
Jul. 9, 2012, 08:33 AM
Its all about acclimation - some horses might tolerate the heat more than others. Additionally we've had little to no rain so the ground is hard as rock. Couple the heat and hard ground = horse vacation. and BTW I used to live in 29 Palms California where 110 +was the norm ... the stables closed at 10:00am and reopened around 4:00pm during the hot summer months - now you want to tell the Marines who closed the stable during the hot part of the day they are sissies?? :eek:
Some horses definitely handle the heat better than others. Toby seems completely impervious to id despite his black coat (might have something to do, also, with the fact that he's the smallest and fittest horse in the barn!).

The humidity here is brutal.

And, there is a reason I don't live in CA ;) Besides that, I thought typically the schedule out there ran a little more spring and fall instead of this ridiculousness of events in July and August.

flea
Jul. 9, 2012, 09:30 AM
Gottagrey, how long do the batteries last ?

gottagrey
Jul. 9, 2012, 01:57 PM
Gottagrey, how long do the batteries last ?

The package says 40 hours but I'm not sure. It was supposed to be used for my horse but we have a pre-cushings horse and BO power out for a week. So Cushings horse has had it on him about 8-12 hours per day/ BO at night during outage.. and they've put in another set. So I'd say you'd be good for a couple of events.. It's got 2 speeds as well & has a regular plug (which doesn't recharge it)

I think they have Outdoor models too...

http://www.amazon.com/O2-Cool-Model-1054-Indoor-Outdoor/dp/B000I4L15Q

JenEM
Jul. 9, 2012, 02:32 PM
Oh, sorry, just seeing this now, hope you had a good day. I was a dressage scribe. Anyway, as hot and uncomfortable as it was, I was surprised by how many people did run, and how relatively comfortable they appeared. About 10 minutes after I left the storms started, though. That must have been exciting for the last couple divisions.

I was there Saturday, not Sunday, so I missed the storms (though they threw a real monkey wrench into the family event plans I had for Sunday!). I actually think it felt worse outside on Sunday than Saturday, because it felt a lot more humid on Sunday. Saturday was hot, but not as sticky. I pinch-hitted as a scribe for a half hour Saturday AM before the XC got started, and it felt warmer trapped in that little judge's box than out under the tent for XC warmup, where at least there I had air flow!

Thanks, all, for the links on the battery powered fans. I may have to pick one up for shows, and for power outage emergencies at home!

fordtraktor
Jul. 9, 2012, 02:42 PM
That battery-powered fan seems pretty cool.

Our local showgrounds prohibited generators in the barn due to fire safety rules, too much sawdust/bedding/etc. around. They were permitted in the camping area for trailers with LQs.

JER
Jul. 9, 2012, 02:44 PM
And, there is a reason I don't live in CA ;) Besides that, I thought typically the schedule out there ran a little more spring and fall instead of this ridiculousness of events in July and August.

Shepherd Ranch and Copper Meadows run in the summer months. Santa Ynez is 100+; Ramona is closer to Hadean. Not much shade to be found at either venue.

smokey1428
Jul. 10, 2012, 08:23 AM
The heat did not seem to be to big of an issue, everyone seemed to be very responsible. Keeping themselves and their horses hydrated. Water troughs for the horses and water coolers for the riders at all three phases. Cooling tent, with ice water for horses and riders and fans, seemed to go over very well. Vets were at the cooling tent checking horses as they came in and ensuring proper cool down. Shuttles to help riders shuttle their tack back from the cooling tent. All in all given the weather everything went very well.
Short hold on course when the storms came close, but all we go was a little bit of well needed and cooling rain.