PDA

View Full Version : Saddle flap too forward - any way to "make it work"?

TrakHack
Jul. 5, 2012, 10:57 PM
I am asking this in the Eventing forum as I think this group is likely most familiar both with forward flaps and the concept of "making it work".

I have an Ovation Four Star event saddle. I knew when I bought it the flap was very forward, but I thought 'oh, this will be fine, my femur is kind of long so it should work'. Yeah, not so much.

The saddle has the XCH gullet system and fits my horse extremely well in the MW plate, and the 18" seat size fits my behind. The saddle is good quality for what I want to do, which is basically long stirrup hunter classes at local schooling shows. I am a Ruiz Diaz fan and really like this saddle in every other aspect except the flap orientation.

I ordered the Ovation Evolution, which has a much better flap for me, but I don't love the smaller panels and it tops out at 17.5". That half inch in seat size does make a difference for me. I also don't like the quality of this saddle quite as much.

I think I know the answer will be "keep shopping", but I wanted to check with the Eventing contingent in case there are any clever ideas to "make it work". If not, any recommendations of saddles to try would be greatly appreciated.

runwayz
Jul. 5, 2012, 11:13 PM
Can you shorten your stirrups a bit to move your knee up into the flap?

Right on Target
Jul. 5, 2012, 11:50 PM
Are the knee blocks movable (on velcro)? You could try moving them back a bit if they are.

I moved the knee blocks on my Ovation Event saddle back a bit and it helped some when my stirrups were longer, but it did make the flaps stick out.

sirensong4
Jul. 6, 2012, 09:40 AM
What a great problem to have . . .
It took me 4+ years--YEARS--to find a saddle with a forward enough flap for my long thigh on a big round Roxie. :)
Agree with both of the above suggestions though. If your knee is way behind a forward flap, you are possibly riding too long of a stirrup.
Pics?

jn4jenny
Jul. 6, 2012, 10:30 AM
Without seeing pictures and/or video to discern exactly the nature of the problem, it would be awfully hard to recommend something. Unless you wanted to stick with the Ovation lineup, in which case it may be as simple as going with an Ovation Competition Showjumper XCH. Great saddle, moderate flap that's neither as forward as the 4-Star Event nor as straight as the Ovation Evolution, good quality (comparable IMO to the 4-Star Event--I am not a fan of the Evolution's faux covered leather either), goes up to 18" in the seat, and likely built on the same tree as the 4-Star Event.