PDA

View Full Version : Which 6.0 Fords to avoid?

MtyMax
Jul. 5, 2012, 02:50 PM
Still looking for a used truck here. While my hopes are still set on a used Chevy 2500HD, I'm open to an F-250. 2007 and newer, either gas or diesel, preferably 4WD with a crew cab.

I've seen several 6.4L diesels in my price range (~2008)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lariat-Low-Miles-Truck-Automatic-Diesel-6-4L-V8-FI-Oxford-White-/300733141921?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item46051793a1

Here is a 6.0L diesel, 2006

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XLT-2006-FORD-F-250-LARIAT-FX4-4X4-CREW-CAB-LEATHER-6-0L-POWERSTROKE-DIESEL-Low-/300729158960?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4604dacd30

So which are the 6.0L that I've heard a lot of negative reviews on?

Thanks!

Herbie19
Jul. 5, 2012, 03:59 PM
My trainer has a 2005 F350 6.0L that he would light on fire if he could afford to. :(

Guilherme
Jul. 5, 2012, 03:59 PM
All of them.

G.

crosscreeksh
Jul. 5, 2012, 04:41 PM
We have a 6.0L/2005 1Ton Super Duty. 50k "gentle" miles on it. Perfect service record...blew the high pressure oil pump at 5pm, Friday evening, Culpeper, Va., construction zone, concrete barriers both sides. Oh did I mention the attached trailer with three horses on?? Thank God our friend (the destination) was only 1.5 hours away and he came to get our trailer and horses that had been towed to a truck stop, nearby. Between the tow (^$$$), expensive motel, expensive rental car (DD HAD to be back for work by Monday), one week wait and another full round trip the total cost was over $5,000!!! Love the truck...hate Ford for not doing a recall on that engine...I can name at least 8 people with the same type story!!! No guarantee the new pump won't fail at some point!!

secretariat
Jul. 5, 2012, 06:13 PM
All of the 6.0's are reliability nightmares. My 2006 (bought new) was a fabulous truck, when it ran. Starter at 1300 miles, Head gasket at 60,000, turbo (twice), EGR. Traded it in before it ran out of warranty at 100M.

Don't think the 6.4 has been as bad, but I've heard their fuel mileage is poor.

I owned 5 Ford trucks from 1987 to 2011, two of which (a 7.3L 250 and a Ranger) we still own and use daily. Because of the 6.0, we're now driving a Silverado and loving it.

Foxtrot's
Jul. 6, 2012, 07:33 PM
My son's 6.0 was meticulously kept - blew up 13,000kilometers past its waranty.
He dumped it and bought a Dodge. They're junk. Now, my 23 year old 7.3 diesel was bullet proof and a great truck.

mroades
Jul. 6, 2012, 07:41 PM
I was going to say the same thing as G.
LOL, all of them!

kimball56
Jul. 6, 2012, 07:56 PM
On the other side I have a 2003 6.0 Ford F250 diesel:). I've had it for 7 years. Only problems I've had were the turn signal switch and the door switch. Has 107,000 on it and I drive it nearly every day. I pull a 2 + 1 routinely and it pulls it like a dream. Great truck.

mvp
Jul. 6, 2012, 10:56 PM
All of them.

G.

Yes.

The engine has some litigation-producing design flaws.

There are some aftermarket fixes. They are expensive. I believe some of these kits go by the name "bullet proof."

If you go on any of the Diesel Dorks websites, you can find info-- what needs to be done, when and what it will cost and how to do it right. Try Ford Enthusiasts: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

These guys *will* help you out. When you ask enough questions and get a consensus from them, I think you will have reached The Truth or damned accurate information.

IMO, the market will be flooded with 6.0s and 6.4s, if it's not already.

In your spot I might buy, but only after I deducted the cost of the Bullet Proof fix I'd have to do in order to make the truck worthwhile.

It may be easier to go with a non-Ford for your money and effort.

JanWeber
Jul. 6, 2012, 11:35 PM
As a long time Ford truck owner, I just bought a Dodge RAM. 6.0L blew up (read my past threads) with 20K miles on the new engine - Ford said "no, thanks, not our problem". No thanks, my LAST Ford product ever.

tcgelec
Jul. 7, 2012, 11:39 AM
I have a 2003 Excursion with the 6.0 PSD. I bought it in 2004 with 19,000 miles. Now have 132,000 miles on it, haul 2 horses weekly to trainer's and then to regional horse shows a few times in the summer, as well as to local parks regularly. Made 8- 1,350 mile round trips from Long Island, NY to western Ohio with 2 horses in from 2008-2010.
Never a problem with anything.. ever. I have heard all of the horror stories but I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I intend to keep it as long as I can, as no one makes a diesel powered large SUV anymore.

OneMoreForTheRoad
Jul. 7, 2012, 06:32 PM
IMHO try and find a 7.3L, or don't buy a Ford.
My 2002 7.3L has almost 200k miles on it and the only thing I've had to replace is the sesamoid (turbo) and the transmission (after 4 Maryland to Kentucky trips, and 3 Maryland to Florida trips). It took me a long time to find one when I was truck shopping (in 2006) but it has been well worth it, the truck is awesome.

On another note my trainer has the new 6.7L and while it doesn't have a lot of miles on it yet, about 60K, it has been great towing his 6 horse trailer so far!

Foxtrot's
Jul. 7, 2012, 08:46 PM
The youngest 7.3L Ford p/u will be a 2005- if I recall wht I was told - but still worth it if you can find it. Correct me, if I am wrong truck people.

jumpxc
Jul. 7, 2012, 10:13 PM
I believe the last year Ford made the 7.3 was 2002. We had a 2002 7.3 that was used to pull our heavy 4 horse. When I sold it in 2010 it had 60,000 and never a problem. I have heard many nightmares of the newer engines.

crosscreeksh
Jul. 7, 2012, 11:31 PM
We had a 7.3/1T Ford '88. Running fool of a truck. The '05 6.0 hauls a big rig great, nice to drive, zooms right down the highway....until the oil pump failed and then it STOPPED DEAD IN IT'S TRACKS!!! I guess a truck is only good as long as it is running!! Never had a Dodge, but back 8-10 years ago I personally knew 7-8 people who put new transmissions in pretty new trucks. One person never even pulled a trailer, but he was on his third transmission last I knew. I guess they all have issues, but Ford really ought to be making these repairs right when they know how many are failing. If DH had been in our town the dealership would have done the work under warrentee, but 1200 miles from home at a truck stop they weren't motivated.

GaitedGloryRider
Jul. 8, 2012, 10:54 AM
I've got an older 7.3L, my best friend has the newer 6.0L. Can't remember what year hers is but I'm thinking it's an '06?

Anyway, my 7.3L has proven much more reliable than her 6.0L despite being about 10 years older with much higher miles. Three times I've had to drop my trailer and go right back for hers after camping trip break-downs.

Even if it's an older 7.3 I'd take that over any of the 6.0's. Might not be the prettiest truck on the road but it'll get you where you're going.

lilitiger2
Jul. 8, 2012, 12:48 PM
Agree with G, skip the Fords if you can. 6.0s (high pressure oil activated injectors) are, as was pointed out, reliability nightmares. Husband just got back from a week long training on fords (6.0s, 6.4s, 7.3s) and still thinks, "skip 'em all if you can". You might, possibly, get a reliable one, but the odds are against you. Also, the EGR system (emissions control) is seriously flawed in these (the 6.0s), can contaminate oil, a giant PITA.

Are you looking at the Chevy/Duramax? Look at something post about 2004, much better.

Still a Dodge ram fan (although some current problems)

suz
Jul. 8, 2012, 06:05 PM
lol, dh is bugging me to get a new truck.
anyone wanna make an offer on my 7.3 f350 turbo diesel?

(4x4 loaded lariet 2002. crew and long bed single wheel.
it's got 190 k and is getting rusty and well used looking).

he worries it will start to nickle and dime us, doesn't believe me when i tell him it's got another 190k in it.

it was my first new vehicle ever, and is a dream to haul my gn 2+1.

i'm tempted to go brand new since interest rates are so low, but then i'll be here looking for truck advice too!

MtyMax
Jul. 9, 2012, 12:06 PM
UPDATE!! :D:D

I brought home a 2010 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 :D Its gas and not diesel, although I would have been fine with both. Its a FUN drive! I totally wasn't expecting to come home with a truck so quickly!

Its in great condition and only 25000 miles on it.

Now I need to go find some running boards:D The thing is a beast and difficult for my short self to climb into.

Trailer shopping is next...Unfortunately I used up a bit of my trailer budget on the truck so I'll be doing some penny pinching to save up ;)

lilitiger2
Jul. 9, 2012, 09:09 PM
AWESOME!! have a blast driving your big a$$ed truck!!!

MtyMax
Jul. 11, 2012, 12:15 PM
That big a$$ed truck is only getting about 11MPG:eek: I guess I didn't exactly buy it for the mileage though ;)

mvp
Jul. 11, 2012, 01:42 PM
The youngest 7.3L Ford p/u will be a 2005- if I recall wht I was told - but still worth it if you can find it. Correct me, if I am wrong truck people.

I believe the last year Ford made the 7.3 was 2002. We had a 2002 7.3 that was used to pull our heavy 4 horse. When I sold it in 2010 it had 60,000 and never a problem. I have heard many nightmares of the newer engines.

Officially, folks, Ford stopped making 7.3s in 2003.5. I reserve my excitement until I see that a Ford diesel was born in 2003 or earlier.

We had a 7.3/1T Ford '88. Running fool of a truck. The '05 6.0 hauls a big rig great, nice to drive, zooms right down the highway....until the oil pump failed and then it STOPPED DEAD IN IT'S TRACKS!!!

Let me explain. This is a design feature built into these trucks-- the high pressure oil pump moves all that oils (many, many quarts) around this big engine. The shut-off is to keep the driver from blowing the whole sumb!tch up and trashing the engine forever. Think of it as a self-preservation feature of the venerable diesel. And given the cost of a new diesel engine, you do actually want this.

he worries it will start to nickle and dime us, doesn't believe me when i tell him it's got another 190k in it.

i'm tempted to go brand new since interest rates are so low, but then i'll be here looking for truck advice too!

You have owned it since birth and loved it as someone who purchased a new vehicle would? Loaded Lariat 4x4?

DH is fussing about the possibility of the 7.3 nickel-and-diming you guys?

Has the boy considered 1) The piss-poor investment of a new vehicle? You'll pay a premium for the right to drive it off the lot. 2) The sticker price on a truck comparable and able to haul your 2+1? 3) The bad fuel economy on all those diesels built to comply with emissions standards?

I believe Guilherme here did some math on this and figured out when a new diesel will being to pay for itself. I think he said that that beings around 160K. In other words, you get the best deal if you buy after this milage number. And if you already bought new and cared for the truck well, you might as well start to make your money back by hanging onto it now.

So your dude sounds nuts to me, or like he's thinking about diesel trucks the way someone familiar with leasing little cars thinks about "old" "new" and money spent where. IMO, a 7.3L truck or one that can do it's job is a different kettle of fish.

SuckerForHorses
Jul. 11, 2012, 01:56 PM

My advice...have a body shop fix up how it looks...the motor will last forever and you won't ever find another one like it!

Hunter's Rest
Jul. 11, 2012, 03:28 PM
I. Will. Buy. Your. Truck. Suz. Sent you a pm. : )
OTOH - I have a 2005 6.0 that I love and so far so good.
I do need a second truck, so would love to re-home yours.
Contact me!

AliO
Jul. 11, 2012, 03:44 PM
The 6.0 diesels are junk. The head bolts stretch and will leave you sinking several thousand (read up to $10,000) replacing these parts and other parts that get messed up because of it. The 7.3 is a fuel hog, but a much better built truck. I have no complaints on the diesel chevy trucks, other than they did away with the manual transmission. I, personally, will always drive a 24v cummins dodge from now one. They get great mpgs and have a manual trans.

BarbaricYawp
Jul. 11, 2012, 04:48 PM
Agree with G, skip the Fords if you can. 6.0s (high pressure oil activated injectors) are, as was pointed out, reliability nightmares.

^^^^ Yes indeedy. I bought my 6.0 used with ~40K miles on it, drove it infrequently, mostly locally, babied it like the pricey truck it was. First sign of engine problem was hard start in cold weather, lots of smoking, no power. I joked that the diesel didn't like to get out of bed in the mornings, especially when cold. Three different trips to two separate dealerships to get that resolved. Then the injectors started failing. One failed as I was driving back from Great Meadows in 100+ degree heat. I joked that the truck didn't like working hard in hot weather. Another trip and another injector. The final straw was injector failure on the way to a show in Asheville, with a 3 horse trailer carrying a yearling, a stud and a saintly gelding, in the middle of BF-North Carolina (somewhere about 20 mins from Black Mountain, there was nothing there by way of landmarks). The engine COMPLETELY shut down, no power brakes, no power steering, on a downhill with a curve at the bottom and us in the left lane (passing a truck, who then would not let powerless-us get over to the shoulder). So now I'm stranded with three horses and a couple dogs in 90+ degree heat. We had to have the truck hauled on a flatbed, the horses hauled in a friends trailer and another friend come with a truck to get our trailer from the roadside. the culprit was an injector that we had *already replaced twice*. I stopped joking at that point and traded the *&%^%$% in while at Asheville. I *did* buy a 6.4L Ford, mainly because it was that summer when the auto plants were shutting down due to the recession and the pickings were very slim indeed. So far (knock wood) the 6.4 has been trouble free, although the transmission shifts roughly once in a while.

relocatedTXjumpr
Jul. 11, 2012, 05:49 PM
Ive got a 2007 2500HD with the 6.0 gas engine. Hauls great...has a hell of a vibration and has since it rolled off the lot brand new, but other than that she runs great. I will say, prior to 2010 Chevy did not offer a locking or limited slip differential on any truck...it was offered if you ordered and if you looked hard yo ucould find one...alas, mine does not, so gets stuck on grass.

I used it as a daily driver up until last August...I get around 16 mpgs out of it and have gotten as much as 20 on trip to AL...of course as soon as a trailer is hooked up thats drops to 11!!

Heinz 57
Jul. 11, 2012, 07:34 PM
Congrats on the new Chevy! Although I can attest to the 7.3 Ford's ability to take a beating and still come back for more. :lol: Diesel was a must for me, since mine's a daily driver.

mvp
Jul. 11, 2012, 09:13 PM
^^^^ Yes indeedy. I bought my 6.0 used with ~40K miles on it, drove it infrequently, mostly locally, babied it like the pricey truck it was.

Sadly, you did the wrong thing for this truck, according to my Diesel Dude.

According to him, these 6 L engines collect soot, so what they really need is to breeze on the freeway while hauling a heavy load. You need to blow the soot.

Just a PSA for other 6.0 owners wondering what kind of diet and exercise to give their trucks.

Judysmom
Jul. 11, 2012, 10:49 PM
Sadly, you did the wrong thing for this truck, according to my Diesel Dude.

According to him, these 6 L engines collect soot, so what they really need is to breeze on the freeway while hauling a heavy load. You need to blow the soot.

Just a PSA for other 6.0 owners wondering what kind of diet and exercise to give their trucks.

This is what my diesel mechanic told me too.

I bought my 2006 6.0 used, and the 1st 6mo I owned it, the EGR went, and then the high pressure oil thingy.

BUT.... I've been good about keeping up with recommended maintenance, and its my daily driver so I drive it on the highway every day from the city to the barn.
The mechanic said it was OK that I drive 85 mph, blows it out :D

However, I can't recommended of theses trucks in good conscience.

BarbaricYawp
Jul. 12, 2012, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I wasn't clear, was I? 'Locally' meant at least 2.5 hours (highways) each way to the closest showgrounds, and yes, hauling a heavy load (3 horse trailer loaded to the gills) versus, say, commercially where the truck was on the road constantly (like a contractor would use it) and wore out parts. OK, so I didn't do 85 MPH with the trailer, but I think it got it's exercise. :lol:

Thus far I'm happy with the new 6.4L dually. Brought home 7.5 tons of hay down I-81 on a flatbed last weekend so that one is also getting the soot blown out of it.:D

lilitiger2
Jul. 12, 2012, 10:46 PM
Well, not necessarily legal but for a decent engine pull that EGR system!!

cbsh13
Jul. 16, 2012, 01:31 AM
after reading this thread (along with others) and after doing much research on trucks, I was so scared to purchase a 6.0 engine. Of course, those were the only ones I could afford...would have loved to buy a new one! I searched craigslist and multiple websites until I found a 2000 F350 with the 7.3 engine. Only 156k miles (which I'm told is nothing for that engine) and has a brand new transmission and tires. It is bigger than I intented to get but I am very excited about it. The only thing I didn't get that I wanted is 4wd. being in Ga hopefully I won't need it much! thanks for all your great info.

mvp
Jul. 16, 2012, 02:02 AM
after reading this thread (along with others) and after doing much research on trucks, I was so scared to purchase a 6.0 engine. Of course, those were the only ones I could afford...would have loved to buy a new one! I searched craigslist and multiple websites until I found a 2000 F350 with the 7.3 engine. Only 156k miles (which I'm told is nothing for that engine) and has a brand new transmission and tires. It is bigger than I intented to get but I am very excited about it. The only thing I didn't get that I wanted is 4wd. being in Ga hopefully I won't need it much! thanks for all your great info.

Ah, yes. Another instance of "God doing for you what you could not do for yourself.... via COTH of course."

Enjoy your 7.3.

Guilherme
Jul. 16, 2012, 09:05 AM
A good friend of ours had a 6.0L Dually that was a real Papa Oscar Sierra. It spend way more time bleeding oil onto the driveway than it did doing its job, and was costing them a real bundle. They got rid of it and replaced it with a nice 7.3L (1999, IIRC) that was in very good mechanical and cosmetic condition.

Then the male of the house, frankly a no-load who spent most of his working day smoking cigarettes and drinking beer and complaining about how work he had to do, decided that oil changes were just too hard. The net result was an engine failure after about 45,000 miles without an oil change. The final result was a used engine and a $5000+ bill.*

Diesels are great power plants for lots of uses BUT require maintenance IAW "The Book." An owner deviates from that Book at their peril. Even with a good engine like the 7.3L Ford.

Just a word to the wise. :)

G.

*The lady had thrown the bum out several weeks before the failure. She had not realized what he hadn't done as he would never answer any questions about "his work." She got very lucky and found a 7.3L engine, used with about 30,000 miles on it, from a salvage vehicle. The seller gave her a one year, 30,000 mile warranty on it. It's now been well over a year and it's running quite well. She regularly changes the oil. :)

Foxtrot's
Jul. 16, 2012, 12:55 PM
Good luck with your 7.3 - ours F250 4x4 was 23 years old before we finally passed it onto a friend in good conscience - it had never give us a minute's anxiety. Even the body was in good shape despite the rain it had to endure. I did, actually, give it a Maaco paint job (cheap) because it had got dull, and it looked great after that.
My mechanic had babied my baby and that truck had hauled all over BC with camper and loaded 2-horse. It does cost to keep a truck reliable.

intrepid
Jul. 16, 2012, 03:22 PM
If you can find a 6.0 with the head studs replaced and EGR/oil cooler issues fixed they're amazing. The old 7.3 is worth its weight in gold, those things will run forever. The big thing with diesel trucks is to maintain them religiously.

JJARAB
Jul. 17, 2012, 11:00 AM
I'm not entirely sure, but I think that the 2005 in particular was very problematic.

Jaegermonster
Jul. 18, 2012, 11:54 AM

You are wrong. The 6.0 came out in late 02, 03

gypsymare
Jul. 18, 2012, 05:11 PM
I've been beating the snot out of my 2003 6.0L since I got it in 04 with 18k on it. 155k now, mostly heavy long distance towing miles. The last recall on the EGR valve fixed the coughing I was occasionally experiencing uphill. Meticulously maintained. The only major problem I had was one injector needed to be replaced (and it made it into the shop on its own power) and the alternator needed to be replaced. It's a beast.

...now I'm going to go find some wood to knock on.

lovetojump2
Jul. 20, 2012, 04:17 PM
My last F350 had the transmission blow up at 20,000 miles. Needless to say my last 2 trucks have been Chevys. Allison transmission is great. If i thought Ford could put out something like that I'd get away from government motors, but bith those trucks are great.The 2005 stiil going strong and isnow the farm truck after pulling a 4 horse LQ trailer all around the country.

dani0303
Jul. 20, 2012, 10:51 PM
I have an 06 6.0 F-250 Lariat 4x4. It's an awesome truck! I got it with 100k miles on it. It now has 135k. I hauled a trailer 2,000 miles (from SC to CO) and it ran like a DREAM. I also frequently haul all over the rockies, it's NOT babied. Other than minor things, I've had no issues with it!!

I really, really wanted a 7.3. Could NOT find one used (looked for 7mos) and had to settle for the "crappy" engine. Couldn't be happier with what I got!

starlitlaughter
Jul. 22, 2012, 05:49 PM
I'll take a 6.0 over a Dodge any day - my experiences with Chrysler and their products have not been good ones, with two brand new 3500 diesel duallys tanking out with multiple issues within two years of purchase. The first, a '97 we kept patching up, and the second was an '02 that had transmission problems starting after about 5k miles. Went to several Dodge dealers, couldn't get the issues fixed so I traded for a new 6.0 in '05 and loved it - that truck went everywhere, and never had a problem with it. I have several friends who also have 6.0s with over 100k miles, and haven't heard of them experiencing any major problems with them. Another friend of mine specializes in making them "bullet proof." If I still had mine I'd be sending it to him for overhauling to ensure nothing would go wrong with it - ie head gasket, egr delete, etc. I was also warned against buying a new Ford - I was looking at an '08 6.4 and when I found out the entire cab had to be unbolted and lifted off the frame to access the engine I passed. That's 2-3 hours of mechanic labor before they even get to the problem!

Guilherme
Jul. 27, 2012, 10:16 PM
For those with ill or sickly 6.0L Fords and deep pockets you can try one of these solutions:

http://www.propickupmag.com/cummins-re-power-for-fords/

http://www.destroked.com/

G.

Countryhawk
Aug. 9, 2012, 09:58 PM
I have had great luck with my 2003 350 four door, had to replace the rear breaks this year. But really have not spent a lot of money on it and most of my miles are hauling miles. And it is easy to drive. It sounds like I am the minority.