PDA

View Full Version : Evie the dachshund 1: Possum 0

ManyDogs
Jul. 4, 2012, 12:05 AM
So I thought The Possum had finally waddled its fat bum out of the house as we hadn't seen it in the last night or two. However, tonight when I opened the back door to let Noodles the mini dox in, Evie the sliver dapple and Pepper the puggle squeezed through. Pepper and Noodles go to the bedroom but Evie is having fits in front of the cart holding the microwave. My first thought was one of the cats or an eww mouse. I go outside and count cats-all present and accounted for. Fine thinks I, Evie can hunt all she wants. A few minutes later I hear smack/flop/smack/flop and discover Evie has The Possum in her mouth. Time for DH to enter the fracas because I am NOT going in there! :lol: DH grabs The Very Dead Possum by the tail and at my request flings it over the fence into the cow pasture. Evie is standing forlornly by the storm door with a "what the heck did you do with my possum?" expression on her face. She is a very keen hunter, much more so than Noodles, who relies on her cuteness factor to get through life. :D
Both dachshunds are from the local pound and our first dachshunds we have owned. I loff them! :)

goodhors
Jul. 4, 2012, 12:59 AM
Give her a pat for me, she did good!

Check for the carcass tomorrow, it may not be really dead. If it is, you probably want to get the carcass where dogs won't find it, can't put any gross germs in your pasture. I put carcasses in a big dog food bag, tie it shut and out with the trash. Don't want the nasty stuff on MY place!

Alagirl
Jul. 4, 2012, 02:16 AM
LOL, the microwave cart?! EEEWWWWWW!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

They might be cute, but never forget, Dachshunds are hunters! :yes:

cutter99
Jul. 4, 2012, 10:24 AM
I think you need to post a picture of Evie so we can celebrate her properly!!!

ManyDogs
Jul. 4, 2012, 10:35 AM
I will try to post pics to my Facebook page and give everyone access. Sigh. I'm still not caught up with the 21st century "stuff".
The possum was tossed over the fence into another field that is not ours and there is no livestock on it.
Doggies are confined to our property so no surprises will come back to haunt us...for now....I hope....

walknsound
Jul. 4, 2012, 10:39 AM
Give her a treat! Good doggie!

Equibrit
Jul. 4, 2012, 10:48 AM
Why is flinging a carcass on to somebody else's property OK ? Oh well I guess a coyote will be along.

Alagirl
Jul. 4, 2012, 11:29 AM
Why is flinging a carcass on to somebody else's property OK ? Oh well I guess a coyote will be along.

Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.

ManyDogs
Jul. 4, 2012, 01:44 PM
We are talking about 500 acres here in back of us, with no houses around. There are plenty of critters who will finish it off in short time.

Think mountains, hills, river, no trash collection, and the dump closed on 4th of July. Flinging was the best choice given the circumstances.

wateryglen
Jul. 6, 2012, 10:16 AM
Flinging good! Feeds the local foxes! owls, bears, hawks, crows, coyotes, cats etc!! :yes:
And can I rent your pup please?
You could have a new "revenue stream" you know if you rented her out. I see dollar signs!! :eek::winkgrin:
Now if I could just train or inspire mine........:sadsmile:

ManyDogs
Jul. 6, 2012, 10:24 AM
Hmmmm, WG,
I see my Dynamic Duo-Evie for possums and Pepper the Puggle for groundhogs in our new RV, traveling around the state getting rid of critters.
Then we would relax on your patio with refreshing libations while Pepper and Puggle instruct Calais on the finer art of crittergittin.
Or, Calais would instruct them on the finer art of sofa'ing with a blanket tucked around one's body. :D

rmh_rider
Jul. 6, 2012, 06:02 PM
GO DAWGS!

YAAAAhooooo.

SGray
Jul. 6, 2012, 06:16 PM
my bet is on possum alive -- you just hope that it was traumatized enough that it will not return

(took my dog a couple before he figured out that he had to really 'CRUNCH' on them)

Somermist
Jul. 6, 2012, 06:54 PM
What a good dawg!

By George!
Jul. 7, 2012, 06:03 PM
My 30 pound black/white mutt (corgi? bull terrier? border collie? other breeds? who knows...) dropped a possum on the back seat of the car after night check last week! Due to darkness, I didn't see said possum until doggie was jumping into the car with the thing - I screamed at the sight of its nasty bald tail and beady little eyes, which scared my dog into dropping it in the middle of the back seat. Dog dove into the front, and hid under the dashboard. Poor little guy was worried he'd done something wrong.

Have you seen the Geico ad where the dad says he found a possum for his kids to have as a pet, because it saved him money? And the kids are staring at the thing as it lies on the lawn, and they say, "Dad, I think it's dead." Dad answers, "No, it's probably just plain' possum. Give it a minute." That's exactly what happened! Darn thing was playing possum on the backseat!!!!! I got a pitchfork to push it out the other side of the car, away from me. It hit the dirt with a dead-sounding thump. Still not convinced it was dead, I used the pitchfork to move it out of the driveway. As I backed out of the driveway, the crafty critter jumped up and ran into the indoor.

Most exciting night check we've all had in years.

birdsong
Jul. 7, 2012, 07:27 PM
Guarantee it was not dead!!:lol:

There was one that grew up here orphaned as a tiny thing. It mae regular visits through the doggy door to dine. My maltese found it underneath the buffet in the dining room once...... This possum was huge and had a beautiful fur from all the good eats...mangoes, cat/dog food...

My GSD caught him many times. I would see her trotting around the yard with it in her mouth where upon I would shout...DROP IT!!

Always gone in a while.

crosscreeksh
Jul. 7, 2012, 08:55 PM
Yup, Doxies win hands down as farm dogs - varmint getters!! Despite owning a Great Pyr, Boxer, Boerboel, and a BorderJack, our Doxie Pappillon cross is the "bestest" hunter/varmint killer!! Once when the Boerboel - a pup, then, had a possum caught, but didn't know what to do next, the Dox/Pap marched past the 140 pound dog, grabbed the varmint and with one snap, dispatched it. Boerboel was like WOW, how'd you do THAT!!! She tangled with a huge coon once and had to be "commanded" to come back as the coon was trying to coax her into deep water!! Guess she doesn't know how little she is!!

Alagirl
Jul. 7, 2012, 09:18 PM
Nope, Dachsies are big dogs in a sausage skin! (free choice feed them and see how big they can get! ;))

wireweiners
Jul. 11, 2012, 05:18 PM
I used to field trial my dachsies and met a woman, Teddy Moritz, who did go out with her dachsies to hunt groundhogs for the local farmers. She had dachshunds and a lurcher. The dachshunds would go under ground and corner the groundhog. She had radio collars on them so she could locate them in the tunnel. Then she would dig down to the groundhog and let the lurcher finish it off.

I also have friends who use their dachshunds as part of a blood tracking service for hunters. If a hunter wounds an animal and can't locate it, they call the service and they go out with their dogs and locate the game. I have a picture of my friend and her wire dachshund, a granddaughter of a bitch that I bred, with a black bear that the dog tracked after a hunter had wounded it. I believe the track was over 24 hours old before they could get out there.

ManyDogs
Jul. 11, 2012, 07:47 PM
Before the arrival of Evie, Pepper, our puggle, and Noodles, the piebald mini dachs, would "stray" over to the next field and be in the entrance of a groundhog den. I could hear their muffled barks. I'd either go grab one or both and bring them home, or they'd start to feel slightly guilty and come trotting home, grinning and tongues hanging out. Everyone is fenced in now since there are coyotes and foxes around.
Never thought of them as trackers but what a good idea, as long as I had a gun or two or ten with me for the wounded game. :-)