PDA

View Full Version : Ground Hogs!! UGH!

the_other_mother
Jul. 3, 2012, 09:26 PM
So apparently there is aground hog under my hay shed. We keep pushing the dirt back and filling the hole he comes out of but he just keeps re-digging it. Tried the cat littler/poop trick and bought some spray thats supposed to repel them which obviously doesnt work. Smoke bombs are not an option since its under my hay shed. So what else can I do to get rid of this guy?:mad::mad::mad::confused::confused::confused:

ManyDogs
Jul. 3, 2012, 11:11 PM
I thought we had a groundhog under the edge of our barn and found out it was a skunk family. Lovely.
I've heard mothballs should work.
Good luck!

oldpony66
Jul. 4, 2012, 08:28 AM
I hear ya... mothballs have not worked for me, plus it made the hay smell bad near the bottom and the horses didn't eat it. I did that last year and I STILL smell mothballs somewhere in the barn (and the groundhogs are still there). Filling in the holes with ROCKS hasn't worked. We tried filling hole with manure, they dug it out. I tried the used kitty litter and they kicked that out too. I blockaded it with boards and they just made new holes elsewhere. Oh, oil of peppermint was suggested but they liked that too. I was thinking of pounding rebar in all around the base of the barn every few inches but seriously... that's a lot of rebar and we have very rocky ground. I suppose you could trap and relocate, or resort to shooting them which is the direction we're headed.

ManyDogs... EEK! Did you get rid of them, or is this an ongoing saga?

Equibrit
Jul. 4, 2012, 09:54 AM
You obviously need a dachshund,

carolprudm
Jul. 4, 2012, 10:33 AM

Works for me

bathsheba8542
Jul. 4, 2012, 11:49 AM
We've tried everything also ... nothing works but trapping and dispatching to the great beyond. It always bothers me, but I understand that relocating them puts them in jeopardy with no safe haven and competition from others, so it seems the lesser of two evils. And, they are unbelievable destructive to structures. We're in the process of pouring new cement slabs after years of trying to keep them from under one of our outbuildings. : (

allpurpose
Jul. 4, 2012, 02:22 PM

...or a Jack Russell...

buck22
Jul. 4, 2012, 02:53 PM
two things work for me, pouring ammonia down the hole and then filling it in with rocks.... pester the dang thing every day until it feels so hassled it decides to leave.

I hate groundhogs :mad: I would love a dachshund to make ground - hog out of mine.

the_other_mother
Jul. 5, 2012, 12:45 PM
Still no luck with the ground hog. Still putting cat litter, horse poop, etc in the hole and surrounding areas, been 2 days with no activity so Im hoping I stunk him out but we shall see. As for the dachshind and jrt, I'd consider that if I didnt already have 2 pugs. ; useless around the farm but the cuddle factor wins hands down and hubby would kill me if I brought home another dog.

Somermist
Jul. 5, 2012, 01:02 PM

:yes::yes::yes:

And, we did the cat poop thing and then put pea gravel to fill the hole. The guy at the garden center told me they don't like the pea gravel because they think the hole is caving in on them?! I don't know, but it did work for us. Good luck.

re-runs
Jul. 5, 2012, 01:27 PM
The kitty litter trick has always worked for me........except once. I got a tip on the COTH to use ammonia soaked rags and push them down the hole. It not only worked with the groundhogs but also the skunk family under the brush pile.

wcporter
Jul. 5, 2012, 03:46 PM
Don't worry, I'll send Sydney Weasely (http://s1170.photobucket.com/albums/r538/wcporter81/?action=view&current=SWSK.jpg) aka large rodent serial killer (http://s1170.photobucket.com/albums/r538/wcporter81/?action=view&current=SWSK.jpg#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs117 0.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fr538%2Fwcporter81%2F% 3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DSWSK2.jpg) over to take care of that for you :D

the_other_mother
Jul. 5, 2012, 05:51 PM
Guess Im trying the ammonia soaked rags tonight. wcporter, when shall I expect Sydney Weasley?

wcporter
Jul. 5, 2012, 07:47 PM
Guess Im trying the ammonia soaked rags tonight. wcporter, when shall I expect Sydney Weasley?

Depends on where you live. As soon as tomorrow if you're near by ;)

All you have to do is let her parade it around for 5 mins afterwards. :lol:

Calamber
Jul. 5, 2012, 08:19 PM
I would opt for a gun. I had a rabid one at my place in Loudoun County, near the WVa border many years ago. I would never let another one move in and would not hesitate to kill. Pease do not relocate the damned things, there are more than enough of them and the holes can kill someone driving a tractor in a field, a horse, a cow and of course there is always the very rare, but real issue of spread of disease.

Rabies is not to be trifled with or poo pooed because you have never had it. The stupid sheriff's deputy would not believe it was rabid, and animal control made us bag it up and bring it in because they thought it was a sow defending a nest?! In fall!? The poor crazy thing stood on it's tiptoes and rushed at me aiming for it's other hole. Thankfully for me and my 3 month coonhound puppy who stood up in it's face, it dig not exhibit the "mad" biting syndrome that sometimes comes. At that time there was no 3 month vaccine and I had a kennel of even younger puppies nearby.

I was also lucky that my husband was home as I was driven up the side of the kennel fence and clung there screaming for him. I knew it was rabies from the get go.

I would never wish that situation on my worst enemy. I had nightmares and could not even look at a groundhog for a long while (without wanting to shoot it).

My labrador was a great groundhog killer, as was my friend's old spaniel cross, I also had a redbone coonhound who actually dug one out and killed it! That took persistence but LucyBelle was worth her weight in gold. Pests are pests and groundhogs do not have much redeeming value as far as I know, except maybe their pelts.

Find someone with a good groundhog dog and keep it for a while or shoot it is my suggestion. God bless the Sydney Weasley's of the world. I would definitely not send my Jack Russell after a groundhog, they can tear a smaller dog up.

maybedog
Jul. 5, 2012, 08:40 PM
We have this :
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3164159987680&set=a.1734060076076.2088569.1375790007&type=3&theater

fordtraktor
Jul. 5, 2012, 08:56 PM
How much kitty litter are you using? I waited until I had a 5 gallon bucketful of mostly cat poop and pee and it worked a charm. Clean our your kitty box and save everything for about a month...that should do it.

Though honestly if you can shoot it, do. I did kitty litter because my hole was too near the road to make that a viable option. Mine moved into my backyard but I leave him be now, he's well away from the horses.

wateryglen
Jul. 6, 2012, 09:27 AM
I'm doing the Caddyshack thing too! Mine had cubs too. I fill in hole w/kitty litter and she's gone about a week then returns.....keep using the kitty litter and harass them. Also read to remove their water source if there's one nearby. Removed dogs water bucket I used to leave outside. My basset is useless and likes being inside in the AC anyway so....
Next is to use predator pee near the hole. Apparently she knows my basset ain't no predator cuz that didn't work. Hitting Walmart for some fox pee next!!
'Stay tuned and let us know if you findsomething that works! I'm fighting one too! I'm not giving up on the animal poos and filling in hole....makes me feel....."useful"!!! :winkgrin:

MoonWitch
Jul. 6, 2012, 11:32 AM
We used the kitty litter with fairly good results, but nothing works like the SSS method. It's sad, but not as sad as having to put down a horse with a broken leg :(

morganpony86
Jul. 6, 2012, 03:06 PM
we've had very good luck with putting dry ice down there and covering up the hole.

rmh_rider
Jul. 6, 2012, 05:01 PM
Yes, you need a dog. Or a skunk to smell it out!

Trap the little devil and be done with it. Then take it far far far far far away. Or shoot in the cage.

They LOVE cantaloupe, and strawberries.. Also marshmellows.

vicarious
Jul. 7, 2012, 02:17 PM
We have electric fencing. Ran a spur line, and set it about 2" off the ground, all around the building using offset holders that the wire would unhook from , so that we could shift it if necessary.So long as no one forgets to turn power on, it has worked wonders. We disconnect in winter.

the_other_mother
Jul. 7, 2012, 09:17 PM
Now that's interesting... Not sure it would work in my instance though, but still interesting nonetheless.

We have electric fencing. Ran a spur line, and set it about 2" off the ground, all around the building using offset holders that the wire would unhook from , so that we could shift it if necessary.So long as no one forgets to turn power on, it has worked wonders. We disconnect in winter.

the_other_mother
Jul. 7, 2012, 09:18 PM
Got fed up and dropped smoke bombs down two holes last night. So far so good. Hope my hay doesnt stink by the time I feed it in the fall.

merrygoround
Jul. 7, 2012, 09:45 PM
Got fed up and dropped smoke bombs down two holes last night. So far so good. Hope my hay doesnt stink by the time I feed it in the fall.

I know someone who almost burned the barn down that way.!!!!

the_other_mother
Jul. 8, 2012, 07:40 PM
My hay shed is a free standing shed away from the barn and the hole I threw the smoke bomb in was not directly under the shed, it was next to it. I was worried about it, so I made sure we only put the bombs in holes away from structures and we stayed till they were done smoking. The good news....so far no more groundhog. :yes:

I know someone who almost burned the barn down that way.!!!!

wateryglen
Jul. 9, 2012, 09:08 AM
I put out some big chunks of rat poison yesterday.
:mad::mad:
Wish me luck!

Hippolyta
Jul. 10, 2012, 04:01 AM
...or a Jack Russell...

My parents live about a mile from a farm swarming with those things (terriers). If my dad notices a woodchuck, it will be no longer than 24 hours b/f the terriers have come, en mass, across the fields to dig, howl, yip and create general mayhem around woodchuck hole. They are mad.

This has happened several times. Once one of the dogs somehow got stuck under the stone wall & they had to dig him out.

Maybe you should just call Bill Murray
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5yCwN7wymc

Bacardi1
Jul. 10, 2012, 01:45 PM
Anyone already using or remotely thinking of using dogs to control their groundhog problem MUST be doubly sure their dogs are up-to-date on their rabies vaccinations.

Not once, but THREE times, in the past few years groundhog/dog altercations have discovered that the groundhogs in question have had rabies.

the_other_mother
Jul. 10, 2012, 09:03 PM
Well, day 4 after dropping the smoke bombs and still no ground hog. However, there is now a rabbit digging under there. <sigh>

Good advice on making sure your dog is UTD on rabies vaccination if you are counting on him/her to get rid of the ground hogs. I remember as a child we had german Shepherd that tangled with one and they can do a number on a large dog. He was pretty beat up but okay. Just sayin.