PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Do you ride an a monoflap or dual flap saddle?

dappled
Jul. 3, 2012, 07:03 PM
Purely for curiosity's sake. It seems like monoflaps are taking over the event world, so I'm interested in getting some numbers on this to see how many people are riding in monoflaps vs. dual flaps these days.

Thanks guys! :)

supaflyskye
Jul. 3, 2012, 07:19 PM
My jump saddle is a monoflap. I used to have a monoflap dressage saddle, but now have a regular dual flap one.
I assume you're asking mostly about jump saddles?

dappled
Jul. 3, 2012, 07:23 PM
My jump saddle is a monoflap. I used to have a monoflap dressage saddle, but now have a regular dual flap one.
I assume you're asking mostly about jump saddles?

Either/or!

supaflyskye
Jul. 3, 2012, 07:43 PM
Either/or!

Well I selected monoflap in the poll, because 2 of my 3 saddles are monoflaps. I didn't really go out looking for a monoflap in either case, it just so happened that those were the saddles that worked(and were a good deal). :)

tradewind
Jul. 3, 2012, 07:54 PM
I ride in both...so I could not answer your question. The monoflap is the only saddle my one horse goes in. Unfortunately it does not fit the other.

RedHorses
Jul. 3, 2012, 08:26 PM
Current jumping saddle is a dual flap, but I did have a monoflap for a long time. I sadly had to part with it when my horse got too wide for it. :(

Toadie's mom
Jul. 3, 2012, 08:29 PM
Like the comments above, jump saddle is monflap and dressage saddle isn't. My dressage saddle however, doesn't have a sweat flap, so it's kind of in between a dual and mono ;)

eventer_mi
Jul. 3, 2012, 10:06 PM
Both of my saddles are monoflaps - jump is a WiseAir, and dressage is a Devoucoux Makila. I didn't buy them because they are monoflaps (tightening the girth from the saddle when you have short arms is a royal pain), but because I got killer deals on them and they fit my deceptively wiiiiide Trakehner.

canterlope
Jul. 4, 2012, 07:57 AM
I have several mono and dual flap dressage and jump saddles, but I ride almost exclusively in the monoflaps. For dressage I have a Luc Childeric DAC. For jumping I have a Devoucoux Chiberti, a Amerigo Vega, and a Jeffries Flyover.

EventMore
Jul. 4, 2012, 08:06 AM
My jump saddle is an Amerigo monoflap. The flap on it is slightly more forward than the flap on their comparable dual-flap saddle, and slightly less forward than the "forward flap" option on the dual-flap. Perfect for me and chosen for flap length, not the mono option.

My dressage saddle is a dual flap, chosen for how it fits the horse, not the two flaps.

Flap duality or singularity doesn't influence my purchasing - just how they fit.

Jazzy Lady
Jul. 4, 2012, 08:22 AM
My jump saddle is an Amerigo Pinerolo monoflap that I adore. I've never been in a saddle that was more perfect for me.

My dressage saddle is a paramount traditional style saddle. I also love it.

JWB
Jul. 4, 2012, 12:29 PM
My dressage saddle is a Prestige mono flap. I really like it, but no more or less than dual flap saddles I've owned.

My jump saddle is an Albion- It's a dual flap but I LOVE LOVE LOVE it to the point that my next saddle will be another of the same.

Mono flap saddles do seem super popular but I think a lot of people are doing themselves (and their horses) a huge disservice by thinking that just by virtue of being a monoflap, it's better than a dual flap saddle that might work better. Even M. Toulouse has jumped on the monoflap bandwagon but I'm not going to bet on it being any more balanced than any of it's dual-flap counterparts.

I think it's a style choice right now. Maybe in 15 years everyone will think they need a saddle with holes in the seat....

Eventer55
Jul. 4, 2012, 02:12 PM
I checked mono but, I actually had my Beval redone with long billets because I hate the feel of buckles on a regular dual flap.

I love the long billets! My dressage saddle is a mono.

FLeventer
Jul. 4, 2012, 02:53 PM
IDual. I had a monoflap in the past but the current saddles are not. Its harder fitting me then the horse.

Wee Dee Trrr
Jul. 4, 2012, 04:36 PM
I've ridden in both for jumping. Just happens that the ones I have purchased recently have been dual. I love them both. (Prestige jumping and dressage). I'm hoping to never buy another saddle. LOL

kookicat
Jul. 4, 2012, 04:38 PM
Duel. I'm not a fan of mono flaps.

yellowbritches
Jul. 4, 2012, 06:10 PM
The jump saddle I currently used is billed as a monoflap, but really it is dual flapped with long billets. My saddle that is getting dusty is a monoflap (hate it). My much loved, now departed xc saddle was dual flapped.

My dressage saddle is dual flapped and has SHORT billets! :lol: So, I use a long girth for dressage and a short one for jumping!

GutsNGlory
Jul. 4, 2012, 06:40 PM
I currently ride in a monoflap for both, but I have many dual flap saddles as well. My jump saddle is a Reinfelden from the 80s, so no style points there ;) but it fits my horse & me well and is far more balanced than the saddle I was previously riding in. My dressage saddle is a Stubben Excalibur and it also fits my horse well (and is just okay for me - looking to upgrade in the future). I'll admit that I love the monoflap feel, but I sort of "fell into" both of these saddles because they were great deals. If I found a saddle that fit my horse and me well, was balanced, and fit in my budget... but wasn't a monoflap, I'd have no hesitation going back to dual flap.

dappled
Jul. 4, 2012, 06:56 PM
The jump saddle I currently used is billed as a monoflap, but really it is dual flapped with long billets. My saddle that is getting dusty is a monoflap (hate it). My much loved, now departed xc saddle was dual flapped.

My dressage saddle is dual flapped and has SHORT billets! :lol: So, I use a long girth for dressage and a short one for jumping!

What! :eek:

I can't say I've ever seen a dressage saddle with short billets... what kind is it?

yellowbritches
Jul. 4, 2012, 07:09 PM
A Neidersuess. I've seen a few of varying makes with short billets. Very uncommon, but they are out there. Usually older saddles. My former boss always wondered if it was his old GF's saddle that was stolen, because it was exactly what she had made :lol: It is a little different than what you typically see....of course, I don't like what you see on typical saddles, sooooo....it's perfect! :lol:

FWIW, I would love to have a jump saddle with short billets. Toby gets minor rubs from the long billets. He's so freaking sensitive, and this is one spot I don't know how to protect!!! :lol:

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Jul. 5, 2012, 12:02 AM
yb- I've got a short billet monoflap dressage saddle I bought in '81 or so. It's right up there on the crazy saddle scale - was custom made by Sommer for a former jockey. The flaps are smaller than most of our thighs!

NRB
Jul. 5, 2012, 12:13 PM
I hate the feeling of the girth under my leg. So the dressage saddle has dual flaps but long billets. And the jump saddle is a mono flap (more like dual flap stapled together) with long billets. So I get to use the same short girth for both.

scubed
Jul. 5, 2012, 02:00 PM
Wise-Air monoflap jumping saddle

Hastilow Atlanta (old model) dual flap dressage saddle

same girth for both as they are both black. Current girth is a Smartpak Wellfleet (really impressive for $99)

ottb
Jul. 5, 2012, 02:33 PM
most recent purchase was a monoflap. All other saddles are dual. Like the monoflap. But that doesn't mean I'm not satisfied with the duals.