PDA

View Full Version : Any truth to the rumor - Penny Oaks?

Gryhrs
Jul. 3, 2012, 06:36 PM
That Penny Oaks changed their date from Aug 4th and 5th to Aug 18th & 19th?? I have not received anything from the secretary.

deltawave
Jul. 3, 2012, 07:02 PM
So I heard via FB. ;)

Gryhrs
Jul. 3, 2012, 07:03 PM
Then it must be true.....RIGHT?!?! :)

enjoytheride
Jul. 3, 2012, 07:16 PM
I have heard the same from two different trainers in the area. Since both of them have tons of students who attend Penny Oaks and are very active I have no reason to assume it's not true.

Camp Atterbury is conducting a national military training maneuver the original weekend and they were orginally urging people to get hotels as soon as possible and directing them to hotels further away.

On a side note, having shown at the HHP to the sounds of gunfire, puffs of smoke, and the occasionally buzzing by helicopters on a normal weekend I wonder if the increased military activity is another good reason to change the date.

deltawave
Jul. 3, 2012, 07:39 PM
I'm on call both weekends so it's a moot point anyhow . . . :sigh:

Auburn
Jul. 3, 2012, 08:44 PM
Lovely. I have been in touch, as late as yesterday with the Secretary, about a golf cart. She did not mention a thing about a change of date. I already have my reservations at a hotel.

Can they change the date after opening day? :confused:

horsecents
Jul. 3, 2012, 09:06 PM
I did not see anything posted on the USEA's website.

LAZ
Jul. 3, 2012, 10:45 PM
I got an email from Kate Gress today telling me they are changing the date to August 18/19th due to the Military Training Exercise (which appears to be a pretty big deal) on their original date.

Since Kate is the organizer I'm taking that a face value. :) She let me know because I usually take a slew of people to the show.

I won't be able to make it since I'll be in Iceland that weekend on vacation, but I'll send any of my students who can make the date change.

LAZ
Jul. 4, 2012, 12:17 AM
P.S. Kate said they are adding Starter as well.

enjoytheride
Jul. 4, 2012, 07:14 AM
Ohhhhhh, Starter! Where is the entry form? I might be able to do that one!

Gryhrs
Jul. 4, 2012, 08:59 AM
I certainly don't blame the organizer but I still haven't received notification. Our vaca schedules take an act of congress to rearrange - so the 18th/19th might be possible but it will take a lot of hoop jumping.

LAZ
Jul. 4, 2012, 10:04 AM
I certainly don't blame the organizer but I still haven't received notification. Our vaca schedules take an act of congress to rearrange - so the 18th/19th might be possible but it will take a lot of hoop jumping.

I'll send her a note, I think they just decided this yesterday afternoon.

Auburn
Jul. 4, 2012, 10:26 AM
For those of us who have already payed our entry, booked reservations and may possibly have other plans for the "new" weekend, I am extremely frustrated with this change. :no:

I understand the concern about the military exercises going on at the same time as the event being a possible safety issue, but couldn't this change have been foreseen before opening day?

If we cannot come on the new weekend, will we be able to get a refund?

Auburn
Jul. 4, 2012, 10:35 AM
The change has been officially made on the USEA website.

enjoytheride
Jul. 4, 2012, 11:35 AM
I was the one who speculated about military safety( I certainly wouldn't want to pay for a show and have my dressage test ruined by a fighter jet flying overheard or being buzzed by a helicopter while I was on XC), I don't think that is the actual reason. Officially I have heard that there are zero hotels within 20 miles of the HHP.

smay
Jul. 5, 2012, 10:10 AM
Gemwood canceled and not rescheduled and now Penny Oaks moved to a weekend we can't do.. summer schedule is in HAVOC! haha

Auburn
Jul. 5, 2012, 10:58 AM
I know of several folks, some with multiple rides, who cannot go, because of the "new" date.

First, I bought the entry to Penny Oaks at the Area8 banquet, because it was to host the BN and Novice Championships. Then, I found that they were moved to Cobblestone, because the USEA did not feel that the courses were difficult enough. I have no clue who decided that one? Riding in the IEA event proved that the folks in IN are perfectly capable of building/designing difficult courses. :yes:

I entered Penny Oaks on Opening Day, which is what the Organizers have been begging for us to do and secured a hotel room in Taylorsville, IN. with no problem. I am certain that the Military Maneuvers were not just scheduled last week. Couldn't this date change have been made earlier?

I am afraid to continue with any plans to go there, because of the moved date. Now, I fear that they may cancel the whole event, because of lack of entries.

Most of us plan our summers around the dates listed in the Omnibus. Some of us take a chance and purchase entries at the Area8 silent auction. I have no clue who purchased the Gemwood event, which was cancelled? In the future, I may find myself less likely to bid, which ultimately hurts Area8. Poor Lisa will have to find someone else in which to get into a bidding war. ;)

Fortunately, I was able to cancel my reservation at the hotel, with no penalty for cancellation.

Organizers, if you want folks to enter on opening day, please do not change dates after opening day? Please look at the schedules of other conflicting events in advance? If this post irritates folks, as most of mine do, then I am donning a flame suit now. :)

Carried Away
Jul. 5, 2012, 11:25 AM
Got an email yesterday officially confirming the change of date and offering full refunds for those who can't attend. Majorly bummed about this too, was planning to use PO as my last qualifier to go to AEC's and it's the final weekend one can qualify for this year's event before it moves to TX. I wonder what percentage of those who entered already had hotel reservations (I did).

I just wish a decision had been made before the opening date, because rescheduling everything has been a pain...so many people go to Richland and don't want to run back to back events.

SayAngel
Jul. 5, 2012, 05:52 PM
We already had a hotel room booked, and now the new weekend is the same as an unsanctioned show where I was planning on taking a young horse. Now I don't know what I am going to do.:no:

Show Secy
Jul. 5, 2012, 08:24 PM
In light of the change for Penny Oaks, the organizers of Spring Run Farm Fall Mini-Trial in Prospect, KY, have decided to shift their show two weeks earlier. The new date is Sunday, Aug 5. The revised show bill will be posted on several websites and is available now at http://kyevents.net/news
Susan and Blake hope that this change will allow riders to support both events in our area. Please pass along word of this change for us. Thanks!

pony grandma
Jul. 5, 2012, 08:30 PM
Now there's a true sense of community! Thank You folks at Spring Run.

SayAngel
Jul. 6, 2012, 10:40 AM
Thank you Spring Run!!!:winkgrin:

GutsNGlory
Jul. 6, 2012, 11:35 AM
Thank you Spring Run! Now I can show at the mini trail and volunteer at Penny Oaks :)

tle
Jul. 6, 2012, 11:43 AM
Organizer found out a conflict that they may or may not have realized before (who checks with local businesses to see when they may have something special planned that is likely to book all the hotels in the area? If they've never hosted something like this before, would you have thought to check ? -- "excuse me general, but any chance you're inviting a huge contingent of soldiers this one particular weekend to your facility that may book all the hotels in the area?")

Organizer made a decision to MOVE dates instead of cancelling flat out... worked it out in the USEA calendar and started notifying people as soon as the decision was finalized. Those who are unable to make the new date are being offered a full refund.

Sorry but I fail to see where the organizer deserves the moaning and complaining.