PDA

View Full Version : wasps in field

mortebella
Jul. 3, 2012, 10:23 AM
Help with this one - horses are getting stung. I've seen a wasp or two. I'm sure that's what's happening but there's no nests (hole in the ground) or in trees that I can find. I feel sure they're in the ground somewhere. I ride in this field a lot. This is a concern for obvious reasons. Is there something safe & effective I can spray with that won't poison my horses? Thanks!

rmh_rider
Jul. 3, 2012, 10:38 AM
I have had this happen. I haltered a horse and walked the pastures until the horse told me where they were hiding. I have also ridden the pastures until the horse told me where they were hiding. When I was riding endurance, I rode alot in my pasture conditioning the horses. Saves $ from hauling out and I have the property to do so. The horse will avoid the area, or spook. Pay close attention. They know.

Spray the offenders with fly spray (they hate that but die quick and do not fly after you) or depending on where they are, wasp spray, and take the fly spray bottle with you in case you need it.

One area on the fence, the horse spooked when it saw the nest hidden in the honeysuckle. The nest was huge, and they were nasty acting. So had to get my husband to drive the truck to the edge of the fence, and I cracked the window and sprayed them like above and beyond what was needed. Also have had ground wasps and had to use two cans to get them all. I took 2 cans of wasp spray and also had fly spray with me just in case.

I am the queen wasp killer here. Husband has direct cease and desist orders when they are around. He is to look only, and report back to me. He has bad reactions to them.

Once you irradiate them remove the nest to a walmart bag and toss. If not new ones will move into the area.

Good luck! And may the force of the spray be with you!

BigHorseLittleHorse
Jul. 3, 2012, 12:58 PM
Do you have any pipe gates or fencing? They like to nest in there...

mortebella
Jul. 3, 2012, 03:04 PM
Nope, no such gates. I think I know the area they are primarily in. Fly spray, huh? Good deal...and regular wasp killer, if I spray it on the grass, won't hurt the ponies?

TrueColours
Jul. 6, 2012, 09:55 PM
Because we are on a sand loam, the wasps love it here and we have more damned ground wasp nests than you can shake a stick at and you usually dont know they are even there until you drive the lawn tractor over them and get stung and walk over them and get stung.

I wage war on them and usually when you dig them up, they are anywhere from baseball sized to the biggest was the size of a basketball.

Depending on where they are, I'll either dump boiling water by the bucketful down the hole and cook them, or gas and light a match and fry them. And then once they're all or mostly dead, I;ll get a shovel at night when its cool and any survivors will be a little quieter and dig up the remainder of the nest and destroy it, fill everything back in with dirt, and put grass seed on top

We have a little dog as well, and Im always very concerned with her nosing about into everything that she'll get swarmed and stung badly, so anytime I find one, they are obliterated

Good luck with yours!