PDA

View Full Version : best thing to remove fly attractant on hands

Stacie
Jul. 3, 2012, 12:03 AM
I use the starbar captivator reusable traps and even though I wear gloves I always get the nasty bug juice or fly attractant on my hands. I cannot find anything that will get it off first try.
Any recommendations?

oldpony66
Jul. 3, 2012, 08:41 AM
:lol: good timing on the question.... I use the single use traps and on Saturday I moved one to add water and the plastic bag dropped off so all the juice spilled on the ground and on my shoe. Naturally I was dressed - jeans and sneakers - to go somewhere (what could go wrong in my decent clothes? I mean, I'm just going to add clean water to some traps!). I can tell you that goo-gone does not work completely but did help. I then scrubbed my shoes with the antibacterial wipes I had in the truck, and that made it better but I could still tell. I think it got in the treads on the bottom because by the time I got home I could take my shoe off and smell it and the odor was gone.

Have you tried wearing disposable latex gloves? Seems like that should prevent it from happening, unless you're like me ;)

ReSomething
Jul. 3, 2012, 02:02 PM
Fate finally got me the other day, I've always managed to change the attractant bare handed and not get spilled on but this time I must have squeezed as I broke the tip off. I used dish soap, and I used it about four times, rinsing like crazy, then I put on some stinky hand cream and it was OK, not perfect but OK.
The next time I stole some disposable gloves from DH.

Stacie
Jul. 3, 2012, 04:02 PM
The sad thing is I actually do use disposable gloves. :lol:

And you'd think I'd know how to not contaminate myself since I used to be a chemist. I happens when I empty out the traps. I try to do it really fast so the live flies don't get out and I always manage to get it on myself.

Larry Garner
Jul. 16, 2012, 08:54 PM
Lemon juice works quite well to remove the smell.

scheherazadetbmare
Jul. 16, 2012, 08:58 PM
WD-40

LauraKY
Jul. 16, 2012, 09:05 PM
The orange cleaner you can buy in automotive parts stores. It gets Durasole off too.

buck22
Jul. 16, 2012, 09:19 PM
Ugh. I just bought a bunch of these traps the other day for the first time. I put together the first two barehanded easy peasy, I figured I had the knack. Today, I decided to do one more, was in a hurry, twisted off the end of the tube and squished a nice big dollop all over my finger.

I was not prepared for how badly this stuff stinks :dead: and how tenacious it is.

3 scrubbings with Dawn knocked it down good. One finally scrubbing with Lava soap when I got home was the coup de grace.

Retropony
Jul. 16, 2012, 09:29 PM
Any product for removing cat urine smell. At the vet clinic I worked for we used FON (feline odor neutralizer) if we got anything disgusting and stinky on us. Im guessing Nature's Miracle might work as well?

nashfad
Jul. 16, 2012, 09:49 PM
I feel ya------------I used a lemon detergent I had in the wash rack. I don't care how careful I am even with gloves it gets on me.

PeteyPie
Jul. 17, 2012, 02:17 PM
Gag!

My dog got one of the premade fly traps off a shelf in the garage. It was new and unopened -- so REALLY fresh. He was fine (I can't remember if I called the vet or the flytrap company) and never showed any sign of problem, but OMG the smell! There were greasy fly bait crumbs all over the garage floor which cleaned up pretty well, but the real problem was his breath! It was nauseating for days. DAYS. You'd forget, and he'd come up to you with his happy, smiley face and breathe in your direction... horrible. The thing is, when you get a whiff while you are opening or filling the trap, it is repellent but bearable because the odor is not so strong. Not so with his breath. It was ghastly.

Oh.... (shudder). Horrible.