PDA

View Full Version : River Glen Prelim course?

I<3Sleepy
Jul. 2, 2012, 08:51 PM
Looking for insight on the Prelim course at River Glen. We're planning on running our 2nd Prelim there in August. Omnibus lists it as average, what do you all think? Horse is super game on XC, but it would be nice to have a heads up to school similar questions beforehand.

Thanks in advance!:)

maggini
Jul. 2, 2012, 11:06 PM
Terrain seems to be the biggest question there. If you've never been, it's on the side of a mountain. They don't use the steep parts anymore, but it's still challenging. My experience at River Glen is that the XC seems deceptively straightforward, but always catches people.

There's a one or two stride with some formidable pheasant feeders and I believe they usually put two slightly wide chevrons on a bending line or some sort of related distance. The corner is normally in one of the sand warmup arenas or the SJ arena, so be aware that there will be one major footing change. There's a straw table inside a small barn, so that will be a major light-to-dark question. The year I tried (and failed because my horse went bonkers-out-of-control), they had a full coffin that was the traditional in, down the hill, ditch, up the hill, out. It had a ramp in/out. The bank is deceiving- it scared my pants off because the terrain makes it seem waaay bigger than it is. You drop down and have a few strides to a 90 degree turn to a brush fence. The water is never full (unless they've fixed it since I decided I was cursed at that venue), but had a log, one stride to a pretty big drop (the kind with a log on top to make the drop bigger). I think they usually put some skinny ramps or brush fences or something on the other side of the water- all I remember is that they're reddish and skinny. The trekehner isn't bad.

The show jumping will be tough. It's the only place I've ever been eliminated in SJ, but it was at my horse's second training when we'd only been partnered together for a short time.

I've only been to the spring and fall events, where weather is a HUGE factor. My horse once managed to pull 2 front shoes on the XC because it was so wet, and I can't remember going when it hasn't rained all the week before, or rained at the event. Other than my terrible, terrible luck there (seriously, I've been eliminated at all but one of my runs there, in which instance I went from first to last place after XC), it's a gorgeous venue and you should have fun.

secretariat
Jul. 2, 2012, 11:46 PM
The course is definitely an average Prelim. Toughest jump is usually the Trakehner, and be ready for the corner in the dressage/SJ ring. Lots of stuff to look at, and riders often get spooked by the terrain. It's actually quite flat if you look at it from a height above sea level basis, but it doesn't look that way visually. Two waters, generally pretty straightforward. Downhill run several hundred meters to finish, which is not comfortable to many people.

SJ is usually the toughest phase at River Glen, followed by time on XC. Expect very hard ground if present weather continues.

We like the venue and the organizers - recommended. We'll probably be moving a couple of horses up there, one at Prelim - which should tell you a lot about our view of the courses.

gorebels91
Jul. 3, 2012, 12:32 AM
The fences themselves are average. Not too technical, not too big. The terrain is as stated above, on a mountainside. It's rocky, and the footing can be questionable (either very hard or muddy). It's a decent move up course, the only problem is, that show in August is BRUTALLY hot. Have fun!

dbolte
Jul. 3, 2012, 09:35 AM
It's been a while since I've run the Prelim course at River Glen (or actually since I've been to River Glen- like maggini, I've had terrible luck there!). I agree the straw table inside the barn is a challenge, as is the corner in the arean, and the first water (the small one) tends to back horses off- it's very closed in relative to most of the other courses in the area. One of the years I went they had set a bounce on the top of the hill, which scared my horse as he didn't see the second log until takeoff for the first. I think it is a pretty average Prelim course, just some different considerations due to terrain. The organizers are great, and it's generally a pretty laidback atmosphere. Have fun, and good luck!!

I<3Sleepy
Jul. 3, 2012, 02:31 PM
Thanks everyone! I have heard that the terrain is hilly - thankfully, we do most of our conditioning on the side of a good sized, uneven hill. We're also in GA, so we're used to heat, and I do end up riding when it's hot versus getting to ride first thing in the AM. He's a catty jumper and super game, so I figured it would be a good course for him. I appreciate knowing what kinds of things we should expect, now we've got a month to go practice! We're definitely excited! :winkgrin: