PDA

View Full Version : Olympic horses: 4* vs. 3* experience

Blugal
Jul. 2, 2012, 07:33 PM
We have touched on this in other threads (how the Germans prepare vs. the US vs. Brits etc.). Thought it would be interesting to predict Olympic results based on 4* vs. 3* experience for various countries.

Subk did a great job summarizing the US Team:

Mystery Whisper has completed 1 of 3 4 stars--2 ELs with Heath Ryan and has never competed at the level with current rider

Twizzel has completed 2 of 4 4 stars.

Ringwood Magister did not complete his one try at a 4 star and his rider has never completed one either

Otis 1 completion in one experience (Neville who is 4 for 4 and placed in the top 10 in all of them is not going.)

Mr. Medicott is a champ at 5 for 5

Here is the Canadian Team:

Hawley Bennett-Awad with Gin & Juice: rider has completed multiple 4*, horse has completed four 4*, two clear, two with 20 XC faults (Badminton 2011, Burghley 2011)

Peter Barry & Kilrodan Abbott: rider and horse two 4* (one clear)

Rebecca Howard with Riddle Master: rider and horse two 4* (both clear)

Jessica Phoenix with Exponential: rider & horse two 4*, both clear (plus WEG XC clear, but didn't make it to SJ)

Michelle Mueller with Amistad: rider & horse one 4* (clear)

gorebels91
Jul. 2, 2012, 07:43 PM
I'm not sure what to think about this. The Olympics are classified as a 4* because they have to be, but they are pretty much an above average 3* directly, and obviously softer with the options. The terrain will be the killer in Greenwich. I know they hope it to be a dressage competition, but I feel like it never is. It really makes me wonder. For example the British team:
Oppostion Buzz (just named to replace Piggy's horse) completed: 5 3*, 8 4*
High Kingdom- 2 3*, 1 4*
Lionheart- 3 3*, 1 4*
Imperial Cavalier- 2 3*, 7 4*
Miner's Frolic- 4 3*, 3 3*

Clear Blue
Jul. 2, 2012, 07:52 PM
FEI lists MW elimination in 2008 Adelaide 4* for dressage.

I posted this on the other thread - Heath Ryan had/has some serious health issues that may be directly related to MW record from 2009 on.

subk
Jul. 2, 2012, 08:04 PM
His 4th at Adelaide on Mystery Whisper was the last 4* he competed in '10. The ELs were '09 and '08. His stroke was in '09.

Nigel
Jul. 2, 2012, 08:35 PM
Subk did a great job summarizing the US Team:

Ringwood Magister did not complete his one try at a 4 star and his rider has never completed one either

Mr. Medicott is a champ at 5 for 5

Tiana has attempted three **** and has not completed any of them. Ringwood Magister did Rolex 2011 and Luhmuhlen 2011. At Rolex he had multiple stops x-c before falling at a table combination later in the course. At Luhmuhlen, he had a stop five from home and Tiana then retired.

Mr. Medicott had a stop x-c at the WEGs in 2010. I'm not sure if you considered the WEGs to be a **** or not.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 2, 2012, 08:53 PM
but if you look at the British....they didn't put their best 4* combinations on their team.

Germans?

The Olympics is not the top of our sport. Hasn't been for some time.

I personally don't think it will be a dressage contest....but there will not be a ton of movement at the top of the leader board either. It will also not be a hard 4* and unproven 4* horses can and will be successful.

As for Tiana and Finn...I will cheer them on. She seems to be in a better place now and peaking at the right time. Just hope she stays confident in her self and her horse and goes kick some butt! And I'm glad our team has some great alternatives.

Blugal
Jul. 2, 2012, 09:05 PM
After posting this thread, I realized many of the other countries' teams aren't yet named. Will definitely keep updating as they are.

Australian team:

Clayton Fredericks (20 4*) and Bendigo (one 4*, clear)

Lucinda Fredericks (ten 4*) and Flying Finish (one 4*, clear)

Shane Rose (eight 4*) and Taurus (one 4*, clear)

Andrew Hoy (28 4* - !) & Rutherglen (two 4*, had 20 penalties at Rolex)

Chris Burton (seven 4* completions) & Holstein Park Leilani - EL at Adelaide '09, 40 XC faults WEG '10, EL Burghley '11, clear at Pau '11

gorebels91
Jul. 2, 2012, 09:43 PM
Tiana and this horse have attempted 1 4*. At Luhmuhlen last year they did the CIC 3*. They had a fall at Kentucky last spring.

Carol Ames
Jul. 2, 2012, 10:10 PM
I did not know that:no:; any info on type of stroke; resulting deficits,:confused: etc. What type of therapy did he receive?
His 4th at Adelaide on Mystery Whisper was the last 4* he competed in '10. The ELs were '09 and '08. His stroke was in '09.

vineyridge
Jul. 2, 2012, 10:36 PM
Andrew Hoy has been running Rutherglen into the ground this year to impress the Australian selectors. Looks like it worked for him. Not doing so didn't work for Sinead.

Remember that the European Championships are "only" a CCI 3*.

Michael Jung's Sam who has been so dominant in the International competitions has run exactly one 4* in his entire career plus WEG 2010. That was Luhmuhlen in 2009, which he won. He's had exactly two competitions this year. I know there was some talk last winter about him being unsound during the sale period, and he actually was SECOND at Fontainebleau this spring. But he won his last 3* at Marbach and is a strong Olympic favorite if he is sound enough to make the team. And he's only run 11 CCIs (including 2 years at Le Lion, 2 European Championships and WEG) out of 37 competitions going back to 2006.

Nigel
Jul. 3, 2012, 04:29 AM
Tiana and this horse have attempted 1 4*. At Luhmuhlen last year they did the CIC 3*. They had a fall at Kentucky last spring.

You're right. That was my mistake. They have only attempted the **** level together once.

alicen
Jul. 3, 2012, 06:18 AM
I did not know that:no:; any info on type of stroke; resulting deficits,:confused: etc. What type of therapy did he receive?

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/heath-ryan-doing-well-confirms-stroke-caused-long-flight