PDA

View Full Version : 25-year-old Oldenburg gelding Balou III wins T3D

ellebeaux
Jul. 2, 2012, 05:11 PM
Does anyone know the story behind this horse? I'm impressed!

http://useventing.com/news/age-isn%E2%80%99t-everything-smartpak-equine-usea-inavale-training-three-day

dappled
Jul. 2, 2012, 05:58 PM
:eek:

This is exactly what I needed to see right now... coming from someone who has been freaking out over their horse turning 16 and being able to get him back into eventing after a 2 year hiatus...

Impressive!

bizbachfan
Jul. 2, 2012, 06:02 PM
awesome!

mythical84
Jul. 2, 2012, 08:07 PM
Oh I just love this! My mare turned 20 this spring, and we just moved up to Training. I'd love to do a T3D this year, but this gives me hope that we still have some time. :-)

fritz56001
Jul. 3, 2012, 12:27 AM
I actually don't know anything about him but I watched him go at Inavale and if I didn't know I would have never said he was that old!! He looked great on course!

deltawave
Jul. 3, 2012, 08:01 AM
There was a horse at the CCI* we did who was 22. Made me feel glad that my 18 year old mare was a relative spring chicken! :lol:

Gwennie was tearing my arms out of their sockets at Training level when she was TWENTY, and if the damn EPM hadn't gotten her she'd still be out there doing the same, I have NO doubt. :sadsmile:

DownYonder
Jul. 3, 2012, 08:10 AM
FWIW, Balou's sire Beach Boy was sired by the French stallion Zeus (also known as Nurzeus and Gordios). Zeus was by an Anglo-Arabian stallion, and out of a French mare with 50% Anglo-Arabian blood. That gave Zeus about 83% "blood" (Arabian, TB, Anglo-Arabian).

Beach Boy's dam was sired by the TB Lucky Boy xx, and out of an old Dutch line with some SF and TB blood way back.

I would love to know more about Balou's damline, but on the top of his pedigree, there is a LOT of blood. And with all the Arabian blood there, it's not so surprising the old guy is still going strong - those are tough, hardy genes.

Kairoshorses
Jul. 3, 2012, 08:37 AM
How wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

jen-s
Jul. 3, 2012, 11:57 AM
Awesome!!

BEARCAT
Jul. 3, 2012, 01:01 PM
Cool!
I'd like to know more about this horse also : "Olivia Chandler and the 10-year-old Percheron gelding, TGIF, were the leaders after dressage and held onto that lead after Endurance day as well despite 2.4 time penalties on Phase D. The pair had to settle for second at the end of the weekend, however, after they accrued four jump and four time penalties in the show jumping phase."

Any photos? Is he full Perch?

ellebeaux
Jul. 3, 2012, 05:45 PM
FWIW, Balou's sire Beach Boy was sired by the French stallion Zeus (also known as Nurzeus and Gordios). Zeus was by an Anglo-Arabian stallion, and out of a French mare with 50% Anglo-Arabian blood. That gave Zeus about 83% "blood" (Arabian, TB, Anglo-Arabian).

Beach Boy's dam was sired by the TB Lucky Boy xx, and out of an old Dutch line with some SF and TB blood way back.

I would love to know more about Balou's damline, but on the top of his pedigree, there is a LOT of blood. And with all the Arabian blood there, it's not so surprising the old guy is still going strong - those are tough, hardy genes.

Oh, thanks so much for looking this up! I was wondering how the heavy Oldenburg body-type would take years of pounding. But it sounds like he might be a lighter build. I couldn't really tell from the pics.

RWR
Jul. 4, 2012, 12:06 AM
That is so cool!

PuraVidaEventing
Jul. 4, 2012, 12:36 AM
Cool!
I'd like to know more about this horse also : "Olivia Chandler and the 10-year-old Percheron gelding, TGIF, were the leaders after dressage and held onto that lead after Endurance day as well despite 2.4 time penalties on Phase D. The pair had to settle for second at the end of the weekend, however, after they accrued four jump and four time penalties in the show jumping phase."

Any photos? Is he full Perch?

Here are his photos from Inavale-don't know anything about him though.
http://www.photoreflect.com/store/ThumbPage.aspx?r=1&e=8570362&g=0A9H00ET19