PDA

View Full Version : Another trailer question, how wide?

Tony
Jul. 2, 2012, 03:09 PM
I will be purchasing a 2 horse bp trailer in the near future, preferably used if I can find what I like, but new if I must.
My questions are in regard to size. I see most trailers are 72" wide , but a few are 80" wide. The wider the better I figure. But i do not see many 80" wide other then Hart, I would love a Hart but they are too expensive new for me and there are no used ones. 80" wide gives each horse 40" width. How wide is everyones trailer? Straight load that is. I like Hawk trailers too and Cotner is near where i live , their trailers are all 72" or 74" wide. Is that plenty wide enough? Also is the 7' horse length enough? I see the Hart is 7'9" long for the horse part.
My 2 horses are one thoroughbred and one appendix , both in the 1100 lbs size.
I would also like individual doors behind each horse with ramp behind that, Hart is made that way, but i do not see many others like that.
Last thing, is there a big difference in towing a trailer with a dressing room verse without dressing room due to the length? (I will be new to towing)
My thoughts are to buy one without the added length of dressing room.
Will be pulling it with Ext cab F150 with 5.4L
Thanks

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jul. 2, 2012, 04:05 PM
Yes, there is a difference in towing a dressing room trailer vs. a non-dressing room trailer when you are using a half ton. The extra width will make a difference too. My vehicle has a 5.4 L V8 too. It is the weight difference, not so much that the length difference is going to be that much more difficult to tow, imo. What are the specs on your truck? What is it rated to tow?

I have had 1300 lb warmbloods in a 6 foot wide (on the inside) straight load with no issues. It will depend on the horse, but in general, height and length are often more of a problem in a straightload than insufficient width. It will be easier to find a used one that is the standard width.

7 foot to the chest or to the head?

You are adding weight again with the ramp behind split full doors. Something to consider, but I agree, it is nice and safer if you ever have a horse that likes to bolt off backwards.

Tony
Jul. 2, 2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks , the truck is rated at towing 7700 lbs .
The 7' is to the chest bar with 5' in front of that in most of the non dressing room models that I see.
Good to hear that 6' wide is wide enough.
Interior height on the Cotners is 7'7" is this sufficient.

As far as dressing room, no dressing room, I guess what I was really wondering is , is there a big difference when it comes to towing that additional length trailer for someone not used to towing (turning, backing etc..)? it looks like they are about 4-5' lnger then a non dressed room trailer. I do not think I need a dressing room area. I have the ext cab of the truckplus the truck bed for storage and they make built in trunks for the front of the trailers for additional storage. Just want to be sure I am not wishing I had it after the fact. This trailer would also only be used few times a year for small shows, and to ship off farm for other places to ride. No longer drive then 2 hours one way.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jul. 2, 2012, 04:33 PM
I don't feel like there is any big difference from a driver's backing perspective between a few feet much less 6 inches. I don't have any more difficulty with my friend's three horse trailer vs. the two horse. Honestly, the hardest thing I back is the jet ski--the smaller the trailer the bigger you feel a correction. Do some practicing in an empty parking lot with driving and backing, before you have horses on board.

From a resale perspective you are better off with a dressing room. Also, I have friends who do not have dressing rooms and they regret it. I've never heard anyone regret having one.

Just my perspective...

Where'sMyWhite
Jul. 2, 2012, 06:12 PM
Width... are the wheels/wheel wells inside the box of the trailer or outside??

Is width measured to the side walls of the box or inside of the wheel wells (if those are inside the box).

Tony
Jul. 2, 2012, 06:25 PM
The wheel wells are on the outside, the 72" is the inside width measurement (96" width with the wheel wells)
The 80" on the Hart is the inside width measurment too

muleygirl
Jul. 2, 2012, 11:19 PM
Speaking as a person that first bought a straight load without a dressing room, and then a year later sold it and bought one with a dressing room, I think you should get a dressing room if your truck will handle it. I also have an extended cab, and unless you have a canopy on the truck, and ride with English saddles, it is a royal pain to haul saddles in and out of the truck all the time. Perhaps the trailer you are looking at has enough room in the front for saddle racks, so that might work. I really thought I could get by without one, but unless you have room somewhere else on your rig, there is nowhere to put your stuff.
I must say the first trailer was really handy, light and easy to tow, I just didn't realize how much stuff I wanted to lug around : )

Highflyer
Jul. 3, 2012, 09:23 AM
IF the truck can handle it. I also have a 5.4L V8 F150, and it is not as much truck as I would like, even hauling a single horse in a basic BP with no dressing room. No way would I get "more".

Jim_in_PA
Jul. 4, 2012, 10:23 AM
Tony, thanks for posting this. I'm in the same area as you and making the same considerations around a trailer purchase. My horses are also similar in size and breed...a 16.1h appendix and a 16.2h TB/WB. So I'll be following this discussion accordingly.

Right on Target
Jul. 5, 2012, 01:48 AM
I have an Eclipse 2h BP WP model. I believe it is 80" wide and 7'6" high. It is quite roomy for the horses.

I tow with a Dodge Ram crew cab 1500- I can't remember all of the specs but it has a big Hemi in it (5.7L ?), some sort of "ratio" that is great for hauling, and it pulls my trailer easy as pie with two horses in it. The trailer weighs 3200lbs empty and it has a large dressing room.

There is a difference in my opinion on having a dressing room versus not having one. My first trailer was tiny and it was incredibly maneuverable. The new one is much larger and it took more practice to get good at backing it up. It is much wider too and corners differently. I almost ran over a cop's toes once when he was standing in the way in the middle of traffic. Oops!