PDA

View Full Version : Horsiest areas of the country?

lmlacross
Jul. 2, 2012, 01:44 PM
My husband and I were discussing what we thought were the most horse-friendly communities around the country. We tend to think in terms of eventing (as that's where our interests are), and we were considering thing like riding clubs and hunts, trail networks, community or municipal horse parks (public), competitions in the area, etc. Along with general horsey-sensibility. In Illinois, it's Barrington and Wayne. Tryon, Southern Pines, Aiken, and hunt country in Virginia all came to mind.

What haven't we thought of?

2ndyrgal
Jul. 3, 2012, 09:38 AM
Need I say more?

sportinghorsepolo
Jul. 3, 2012, 09:50 AM
In Maryland we have Monkton/Greenspring Valley, Fair Hill, Frederick, Poolesville...probably more but thats where I tend to go for horse events (eventing, polo, hunting, jump racing)

dappled
Jul. 3, 2012, 09:55 AM
I'd say Area II is probably the biggest area, despite the fact that it doesn't include Lexington!

jennifersw
Jul. 3, 2012, 11:07 AM
Uhhh...the ENTIRE Olympic 3- Day team in 2000 hailed from MIDDLEBURG, VIRGINIA....:yes:

VicariousRider
Jul. 3, 2012, 11:44 AM
Chester County PA (and Bucks County to a lesser extent) is VERY horsey. It was reported somewhere (I'll go look for it.... ) that the county has the 2nd highest ratio of horses to people only second to Lexington, KY's county. But the big distinction is that the horses in Chester County are largely NOT racehorses (although there are plenty of those).

In general, I would say that Area II is the horsiest part of the country for english disciplines overall.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 3, 2012, 11:59 AM
Uhhh...the ENTIRE Olympic 3- Day team in 2000 hailed from MIDDLEBURG, VIRGINIA....:yes:

Nope. Boyd and Phillip are both based in Southern Chester County PA. Bruce Davidson is also here as well as many others.

We had a bunch riders that made it around well at Rolex this year also come from this area (Boyd, Phillip, Erin, Kate, etc). We joked that they all conditioned by galloping up Nelson's Hill and that is why they did well---and you bet Boyd and Phillips horses did that gallop before leaving for England. Beautiful country here.

VERY horsey area with the famous Cheshire Fox Hunt. Tons of steeple chase riders, polo, fox hunting, top dressage, H/J etc....you get the picture. We even have some cowboys (though not many!). Also top vet hospital at New Bolton as well as other top vets, farriers and other support practices for top level horses that we all have access too.

I've lived in VA, FL and other parts of the Country....I chose to live in Southern Chester County PA for a reason;) It is a very horsey area too. (FYI--Southern Chester County is the general area--West Grove/Unionville in particular)

jennifersw
Jul. 3, 2012, 01:14 PM
Bornfreeoweexpensive, re- read my post, please. I said the 2000 team: Karen and David O' Connor, Nina Fout, and Linden Wiseman. All from Middleburg. Then and now.

jennifersw
Jul. 3, 2012, 01:17 PM
I doubt anyone will dispute the Unionville/ Chester Co. area as extremely horse- friendly- and beautiful. The OP listed a few horse- friendly areas and asked for others. Middleburg is one. Chester Co. is another.

Snaffle81
Jul. 3, 2012, 01:22 PM
Just curious, where's the eventing "place to be" in Massachusetts?

yellowbritches
Jul. 3, 2012, 02:51 PM
In Maryland we have Monkton/Greenspring Valley, Fair Hill, Frederick, Poolesville...probably more but thats where I tend to go for horse events (eventing, polo, hunting, jump racing)

I was in the horse community in MoCo and Frederick. Very horsey, yes, but I now live in Middleburg, VA and it is a completely different world here. My vote would be for here, or the Unionville/West Grove area of PA. Nothing compares, I think, to these two areas.

scubed
Jul. 3, 2012, 05:29 PM
You probably have to include Ocala, Wellington and Aiken in the winter if seasonal counts and really, the Central Florida area is quite horsey year around with stuff going on at the Horse Park, Rocking Horse and folks including Hollings, Carters, Law/Grant-Law, Hilda Donahue, and many others including our own MaxxTrot in the area year around

Peregrine Farm
Jul. 3, 2012, 05:29 PM
This may surprise some, but the area southwest of Atlanta (South Fulton and Coweta counties) has become very horsey over the past several years. Not only is the area home to Chattahoochee Hills, it is (or has been) the home of several 3/4* event riders, sporthorse breeders (eventing and dressage, principally), owners/backers of FEI-level horses and riders, the Bear Creek Hounds, and is only 1-1.5 hours from Poplar Place, the Shakerag Hounds, and the Midland Foxhounds.

This summer, Newnan, Georgia celebrated its equestrian ties through a town-square display of painted equestrian sculpture. The pieces were commissioned by donors, and local artists were given a free hand to paint a precast equine statue as they saw fit. Many of the painted horses will reside permanently at a local gallery/arts center once the public display is finished. Here are videos of the ponies -- the film is nice but does not do the display justice. They are worth going to see if you are in the area for the July Chatt Hills shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=Dit1xKKkru8&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=975zVFH_fro

Neigh-Neigh
Jul. 3, 2012, 08:04 PM
Minnesota and Wisconsin are starting to climb the ranks...

maxxtrot
Jul. 3, 2012, 08:46 PM
i would will have to add ocala to the list, there is so much horsey stuff here year round, not just eventing. all types of riding.

gottagrey
Jul. 4, 2012, 12:49 AM
In terms of eventing and other other equestrian activities I'd have to chime in and agree w/ Area II especially NoVA/MD and Southern PA locations. I'm in the DC area and from my barn in Potomac there are probably at least 4 or 5 event venues 20 minutes to 1.5 hours away - some offering multiple events. Additional venues are 1.5+ hours away. Additionally there are many hunts and polo clubs in the area. There are reasonable to full service boarding options, good trainers etc. as well.

Mukluk
Jul. 4, 2012, 01:17 AM
But what if you can't stand humidity? Then what do you do?

yellowbritches
Jul. 4, 2012, 06:52 AM
But what if you can't stand humidity? Then what do you do?

You take the summer off ;)

maxxtrot
Jul. 4, 2012, 08:59 AM
either learn to ride early or really late. or go north for the summer:)