PDA

View Full Version : Did very first event yesterday!!!

Mukluk
Jul. 2, 2012, 01:14 PM
Yesterday Angel and I did our very first 1 day schooling show event. We did intro because we are wusses, next time will do BN. I was running late as usual : ( so we only had about 10 minutes to warm up for dressage (note to self next time it would be nice to ride her for at least 30-40 minutes before test as she is an OTTB with exuberance). Nonetheless, she did pretty well doing BN test A with a score of 37.8. The jumping was a combined stadium xc, starting with 3 fences in the arena, going out to the sc course for 4 more jumps and then jumping back into the arena and over one fence. Unfortunately Miss Dingus decided that she didn't like the looks of fence number one and put on the brakes (bad horsey!). But she jumped it the second time and jumped everything else. She was a tad exuberant out on the xc but did all the jumps and went through the water. We ended up smack dab in the middle 5th of 9 and got a pretty bubble gum pink colored ribbon. I feel we could have done better....but we certainly could have done worse!!! More importantly, I had a great time and really look forward to our first 3 day event in September. I would like to thank everyone on this forum for all the support and encouragement I have received!!!

runNjump86
Jul. 2, 2012, 01:54 PM
Great job!!!! Your first event and you got a ribbon?! Hell yeah!! At least your horse wasn't a smoking volcano in your dressage test like my horse was in our first event! :D

Definitely allow yourself plenty of time. I could have the crown for Running Late to Everything, but I've finally got it through my head that early is way better than late, even if you have a couple of hours before your go.

MightyBobbyMagee
Jul. 2, 2012, 02:04 PM
I had ten minutes at most for my first two events before I finally pulled my head out of my backside and made a point of aiming for at least an hour for warmup...which usually leaves me with thirty minutes or so. ;)

Congrats on finishing your first event, let alone ribboning! On to the next!

Cameraine
Jul. 2, 2012, 02:23 PM
At least your pony sounds like she remembered what the halt was. It took two outings before mine connected the dots between being in the little sandbox and mommy asking her to stop and yes let the people stare at her while she saluted the judge.

That and at the first outing she was 100% certain that the empty chairs on the other side of the fence were going to eat her alive after going over the fence that landed with her looking at them. The big scary fence with the brick pillars that even I went wide eyed at, nope that's acceptable, but the empty chairs were horse eating demons with a taste for bay mares.

*HUG* so glad you had a good time, and welcome to the dark side.

Mukluk
Jul. 2, 2012, 02:35 PM
We got a "6" on halt, comment "nice halt but inattentive." I am not sure what that means, I tried to do my best salute. Horse had eyes closed? I don't know.

MightyBobbyMagee
Jul. 2, 2012, 02:49 PM
We got a "6" on halt, comment "nice halt but inattentive." I am not sure what that means, I tried to do my best salute. Horse had eyes closed? I don't know.

I got pretty much the exact same comment at Plantation last month. Bobby turned his head slightly to gaze longingly at the horses jumping on the top of the hill. I was just at a dressage show yesterday and I'm still scratching my head over some of the comments. I think I prefer to remain blissfully clueless about what they mean and be happy I made it through in one piece. :D

bizbachfan
Jul. 2, 2012, 03:53 PM
Congrats!!

SwampYankee
Jul. 2, 2012, 08:34 PM
That's a NICE dressage score for a first-time newb, and a TB to boot! Be proud. As for that course, it sounds rather more challenging than more conventional formats. Our hunter trial here used to have that jumping-out and jumping-back-in the ring format, and without schooling it TONS of horses thought their riders had totally lost their minds--you want me to do WHAT?! :D

Sounds like the two of you had a great day indeed!

Texarkana
Jul. 2, 2012, 09:47 PM
Congrats! I did my first event (2' starter division) with my mare, too, on Saturday. We not only finished, but finished 4th out of 7. Our dressage left a lot to be desired, but I was thrilled that she went double clear in stadium and XC. Can't wait to do it again!

Judysmom
Jul. 2, 2012, 09:48 PM
Yay! Congrats! Finished with a number not a letter :)

Mukluk
Jul. 3, 2012, 01:17 AM
Thanks all, it was so much fun! I am looking forward to moving up the levels (though as a pushing 50 yr old, I don't see myself going beyond training or possibly prelim). It's all very exciting because I wanted to do this for so long and it just didn't come together until now. Eventing is Awesome!!! And so are all of you!!!

Mukluk
Jul. 3, 2012, 01:19 AM
Congrats! I did my first event (2' starter division) with my mare, too, on Saturday. We not only finished, but finished 4th out of 7. Our dressage left a lot to be desired, but I was thrilled that she went double clear in stadium and XC. Can't wait to do it again!

Congrats!!!! That's fantastic!!!

deltawave
Jul. 3, 2012, 08:59 AM
Usually "inattentive" at the halt is shorthand for "horse staring in horror at the judge's box". :lol:

Congrats, good job!

SwampYankee
Jul. 3, 2012, 09:10 PM
Usually "inattentive" at the halt is shorthand for "horse staring in horror at the judge's box". :lol:

Congrats, good job!

Once, in a test before the august Max Gahwyler, my ol' reprobate waited until I dropped my hand at the salute, and chose that precise moment to delicately and elegantly scratch his right ear with his hind foot--I dared not move lest I upset his precarious balance and cause that foot to descend between the reins, or worse--and when he could stop laughing, dear Max gave us an 8 for "suppleness" . . .

Bless the man . . . :)

Mukluk
Jul. 4, 2012, 02:25 AM
Wow Swamp Yankee, I suppose no one got a picture? That would have been the neatest thing! What a talented animal!

Cameraine
Jul. 4, 2012, 12:39 PM
Once, in a test before the august Max Gahwyler, my ol' reprobate waited until I dropped my hand at the salute, and chose that precise moment to delicately and elegantly scratch his right ear with his hind foot--I dared not move lest I upset his precarious balance and cause that foot to descend between the reins, or worse--and when he could stop laughing, dear Max gave us an 8 for "suppleness" . . .

Bless the man . . . :)

*FDL* I wish someone had video taped that. It would have gone viral on Youtube for sure.

Fancy That
Jul. 4, 2012, 02:18 PM
Congrats!!! Yes that is a very nice dressage score!

Was this at Moss Beach Ranch? I want to do the September one...will you be there?

We want pics! :)

SwampYankee
Jul. 4, 2012, 02:53 PM
Wow Swamp Yankee, I suppose no one got a picture? That would have been the neatest thing! What a talented animal!

Heh--years before YouTube, more's the pity! I had visions of him toppling over on me, and actually held my breath! :D
He was pretty much expressing his opinion of Dressage. . .

Heliodoro
Jul. 5, 2012, 12:01 PM
Congrats on your first event!

Gosh, you did waay better than my first attempt: dressage was our best (IIRC a 35), xc was practically a disaster with 4 stops (back when you could have 5...) and I ended up behind my saddle... 2x on course! The second time I had to stop and launch myself back into the seat after getting my breeches caught on the cantle... SJ was not pretty, I don't think we had any rails, but the very last fence was a 2nd part of a 2 stride combo that he stopped dead at, I pony club kicked and screamed "Just GO!" and got him over. But hey, we still completed the event with a number... just a 3 digit one. I said from that day on it could only get better!

Whenever someone I know is bummed out about a rough score or outing, that story pretty much cheers them up.