PDA

View Full Version : How close is your knee meant to be to the front of the saddle?

FlatBrokeEventer
Jul. 2, 2012, 12:31 AM
I have an extremely long hip to knee and finally broke down and bought a custom saddle. I love it, but when I shorten my stirrups for Cross Country my knee is dangerously close to the front of the saddle. I have maybe an inch between my knee and the edge of the flap. I have a trail period within which I can ask for longer flaps. The next flap size up is .65 inches longer. I've been waffling because if I get a longer flap I feel that it will interfere with more horses shoulders because its sooo far foward, and I ride a variety of horses. Is barely inch enough distance between the flap and my knee?

GutsNGlory
Jul. 2, 2012, 06:53 AM
Is it that close to the front of the saddle with you sitting? Or with you in two point/galloping position? I am very long from the hip to knee as well and even in my forward flap saddle, I come pretty close to the edge in XC length stirrups when sitting. However, when riding and in galloping position, I'm fine.

purplnurpl
Jul. 2, 2012, 08:43 AM
you mean your knee is not supposed to be at the edge of the flap?

here is one pic of me in my custom saddle. extra forward/L flap.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p189/xckaboom/prestige1.jpg

I've become used to riding in fairly tidy saddles. I don't care where my knee is as long as I feel functional. I always demand movable blocks and if the saddle doesn't come with them I do it myself.

I can't buy a custom every time I get a new horse in to ride to I just make due.

and if people make fun of me I just remember what WFP looks like in his saddle! Looks like he rides in a darn jockey saddle. LMAO!
http://www.horsejunkiesunited.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Photo-148.jpg

Eventluvr
Jul. 2, 2012, 10:05 AM
I have wondered this myself!!

I am also very long hip to knee, but proportionately shorter in my calf. I have tried a variety of different XC saddles and everyone always wants to put me in a super forward flap because I have a long leg. But because of my thigh : calf ratio I think it changes the angles and whatnot of my leg.... I end up with the flap being way too forward (my thigh noooowhere near the thigh block, even when sitting) but my knee right at the edge of the flap.

I have no insight for you, but am also frustrated with this.

subk
Jul. 2, 2012, 10:23 AM
when I shorten my stirrups for Cross Country my knee is dangerously close to the front of the saddle. I have maybe an inch between my knee and the edge of the flap.
Is this when you are sitting or in galloping position?

For your knee to be in the right place when you are standing in galloping position it will be much more forward on the flap when you are sitting. As long as there isn't anything under your knee making it hard to be connected while sitting I wouldn't worry about it if everything is balanced and secure when galloping and jumping.

From a 30 second googel search: here's a photo of Buck Davidson walking in a XC saddle http://www.brucedavidsoneventing.com/Pages/Training.html