PDA

View Full Version : Who was the jerk that took my radicchio?

ex-racer owner
Jul. 1, 2012, 09:37 PM
5 of my 6 radicchio plants were ruined when I went out today to check on my garden. The centers of them were gone- down to the core, only leaving the outer leaves. I have never grown radicchio before, so I was pretty excited about these. I am thinking it is a smaller critter, but not sure which among rabbits, groundhogs, squirrels, chipmunks, or "other" would have a palate that would enjoy the more bitter taste of radicchio? My garden is fenced (but for a small portion on the bottom that we were not able to block due to the angle of the hill)so I am pretty confident that it was not a deer and I did not see any tracks or higher up damage that my local deer population would have committed. So any guesses who done it? I do live in the suburbs, if that matters. Also, the radicchio was planted between tomatos and cucumbers, neither of which were molested...

Alagirl
Jul. 1, 2012, 11:04 PM
LOL, I am almost thinking birds.
But I suppose all of the above are highly suspect!

I mean, I am so sorry for your plants <plays 'Taps'>

SnicklefritzG
Jul. 1, 2012, 11:33 PM
When I was growing up we had all sorts of things in our garden. We managed to keep the deer out easily enough, but the birds were the worst. We would have to put nets on our berry bushes because if we didn't the blue jays would eat everything.

some birds were so aggressive and would steal food off your plate if you ate outside :(

buck22
Jul. 2, 2012, 08:17 AM
Rabbit and groundhog both will go for radiccio, ask me how I know :(. Rabbit will find any hole in a fence, and groundhog can climb.

If your tomatoes continue to go unmolested, likely culprit was a rabbit as they don't often have a taste for tomato. If its a groundhog, your tomatoes are next on the list. First they'll eat the leaves, then the fruit as it starts to ripen. If its a particularly nasty groundhog, he'll go around ruining every fruit by taking one bite out of each.

I despise groundhogs :mad: they are havoc on a garden and can undo all of your hard work in just a matter of days.

JB
Jul. 2, 2012, 08:35 AM
Time for a fence ;)

atlatl
Jul. 2, 2012, 12:48 PM
It wasn't me; I can't stand the stuff :winkgrin:

SmartAlex
Jul. 2, 2012, 12:52 PM
Time for a fence ;)

H3LL, I have a fence. I've been petitioning my husband for the installation of a biodome. :lol:

ex-racer owner
Jul. 2, 2012, 11:15 PM
After I got home from work, I ventured out to check my garden. The last radicchio was gone! I did have a thought about this situation, after seeing a little chipmunk check out the empty water bowl I put out across the backyard (yes, I have been putting out water as we are well below average on rainfall this past month and have had some very high temperatures lately). It occurred to me that maybe whoever was eating the radicchio was trying to get the moisture from it, I hope. That makes my disappointment a little easier to get over, anyway. Nothing else has been touched at this time.

I think I'd like to get one of those wildlife cameras to spy on the little critter.

On another note, does anyone know if the radicchio will grow back, or should I cut my losses and pull it out?

Alagirl
Jul. 2, 2012, 11:37 PM
After I got home from work, I ventured out to check my garden. The last radicchio was gone! I did have a thought about this situation, after seeing a little chipmunk check out the empty water bowl I put out across the backyard (yes, I have been putting out water as we are well below average on rainfall this past month and have had some very high temperatures lately). It occurred to me that maybe whoever was eating the radicchio was trying to get the moisture from it, I hope. That makes my disappointment a little easier to get over, anyway. Nothing else has been touched at this time.

I think I'd like to get one of those wildlife cameras to spy on the little critter.

On another note, does anyone know if the radicchio will grow back, or should I cut my losses and pull it out?

If the heart is gone it's pretty much done for. However, plants are surprising and you might get something to pluck.
I would let it be, seeing what comes from it. Either way you can't really lose.

rmh_rider
Jul. 3, 2012, 10:22 AM
Not sure how well you investigated the crime scene thoroughly.

You sure it couldn't be a human taking your vegges?

Rabbits like to leave their poop calling cards. See any of those little poop pearls?

I am a well known non-rabbit fan at my farm. I hate rabbits. They do lots of damage. We need more foxes! No such thing as too many foxes. We are very pro-fox here.

ex-racer owner
Jul. 3, 2012, 12:22 PM
I went around back this morning before heading off to work. Underneath my oak tree, were three juvenile raccoons cleaning up bird seed off of the ground. My suspicions are that it is these three that are the culprits, I mean, they were wearing masks! Surely that is proof enough!

They were awfully cute, but I hope they move on and leave my garden alone!

SmartAlex
Jul. 3, 2012, 12:26 PM
They were awfully cute, but I hope they move on and leave my garden alone!

Pppfffftttt! As if!

Coons are currently my biggest aggravation.