PDA

View Full Version : wondering about making a cross country jump

Coyoteco
Jul. 1, 2012, 07:18 PM
I have two young Russian Olive trees growing up in a good spot for a cross country jump. The area is otherwisse devoid of trees. These trees are sufficiently far apart that when the mature they could leave a 10 foot width for a jump to be constructed between them - meaning 10 feet clear of branches. I was wondering about leaving the trees there for this purpose. Otherwise, I'll just cut them down and keep them out of the way. Russian Olive trees are disfavored in my area, but are pretty in my opinion. They have thorns, which is another consideration. Still jumping between the trees is another bit of experience that my horses tend to lack at home. Reading my own post, I'll probably just cut them down, but still would like to see if anyone thinks they would provide some diversity.

Gnep
Jul. 1, 2012, 10:03 PM
I like the Russian Olive, too.
Don't cut them down. If you have to cut them down, preserve tha largest pieces.
The wood is rather beautiful, boards and large pieces can be sold.

Do you have pictures of those trees, maybe I can help you

CHH
Jul. 2, 2012, 09:07 AM
:)leave the trees! Use Timber Ties from Field Jumps llc on them. They are metal brackets which are strapped on trees. They hold logs or other cross pieces without hurting the tree and are adjustable height and removable. www.fieldjumps.com

Coyoteco
Jul. 2, 2012, 01:25 PM
Thank you both. Gnep, I'll try to get and post pictures. I didn't know people used Russian Olive wood. We have a lot of them along the creek but these grew up in the open area.

MafiaPrincess
Jul. 2, 2012, 01:59 PM
When they get bigger, the thorns can grow an inch long, are super sharp and quite hard. You'll need to keep them pruned to keep control over them. That would be the consideration you need to make really. They are also well known for dropping large branches, more so than other trees and people don't want them in yards for that reason too. If you can keep control over them, no reason you couldn't make a question with them.

Coyoteco
Jul. 5, 2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks MafiaPrincess. I go back and forth. I did get pictures and will try to upload them. I like the idea.

groom
Jul. 5, 2012, 02:42 PM
Where in the world are you, Coyoteco?

The Russian Olive I am familiar with, east of the Mississippi and mostly in Virginia, Kentucky & Indiana, is not really tree, but a shrub. It is a fairly short-live secessional, as well.

Coyoteco
Jul. 5, 2012, 03:15 PM
Colorado. These would be trees and not shrubs. There are Russian Olive shrubs, too. And then there are Russian Olive trees that grow like shrubs because they have too much water and it stunts the growth - I don't know why that happens. Since these are in a dry area, they will grow as trees, and can be trimmed easily to make them whatever shape is desired.