View Full Version : Musings on finding a show coat

Jul. 1, 2012, 05:27 PM
My area is very horsey with four large tack shops within a very reasonable driving distance (20-30 min.) I've been to three so far and have tried on *everything* in the way of show coats up to about the $500 range in dressage coat, H/J, you name it.

Most of the Pikeur were way too long and were cut in a way that made the front stick out when I sat on the saddle stand in a saddle. There was one model that fit pretty well through just about all areas, but it had sleeves that felt really baggy. I'm sure those could be tailored, but it just felt awkward. For $500 I'd expect a bit better fit up front. The more "technical" ones were too short, which looked silly on me particularly with my round butt.

The Grand Prix coats were pretty nice, but the shoulder pads were kind of substantial and extended too far off my shoulder. Going down a size and the rest of the coat was a bit snug. So I'd either have to open up the side seams on the smaller coat, or cut down the shoulder pads on the larger coat.

I tried some of the RJ Classics coats, but those would have needed a lot of tailoring too - mostly to taper the waist so they weren't too baggy there.

So then I tried on a Goode Rider jumper coat and it was an amazing fit right off the rack. I don't think I'll need to do a thing with this coat. It looks pretty good as is. It's kind of a blue/gray color. I suppose that is ok for schooling shows. Could I get away with it at a rated show whether it's dressage or HT? At a price of $250 it was pretty affordable compared with the other stuff I tried.

Jul. 1, 2012, 05:29 PM
I think you could. They look pretty nice. I am in love with my Animo jacket :) I bought mine from the UK for 500

Jul. 1, 2012, 08:40 PM
I had a similar problem with fitting, and I got a Pikeur Epsom:

I was able to find one on Ebay and get it shipped here for $77.

It is cut shorter than the Pikeur jackets often sold in the US.

Jul. 2, 2012, 11:07 AM
I wouldn't wear a blue/grey jacket into dressage. Can you order a different colour?

I've never fit into a jacket right off the rack. My torso is child sized, but add a bust and long arms and the coat that fits my body doesn't fit my arms/chest and vice versa. I had both my shadbelly and dressage coat custom made. They are stunning and couldn't be a better fit. I got all the option - lined/weight tails, velvet collar, piping, etc. barbtiffin@gmail.com is contact info for who did them.