PDA

View Full Version : Scoring: what do you think of this?

Robin@DHH
Jul. 1, 2012, 12:44 PM
I am preparing to host an eventing derby this year. In the
past we have held low-level horse trials with usual scoring
for BN and N but have used a special system for Intro. To
let those starting feel comfortable I scored Intro cross country
and stadium by giving "good" points for each obstacle they
negotiated successfully (more points for first try, fewer for
second and third, must go around after three tries). Riders
were free to simply skip any jump they didn't like without
elimination; they simply didn't get as many points. Highest
points was winner in Intro.

I would like to use this system for all three levels of the
eventing derby this year but DH says the eventers won't
like it. What do you think; would you find it a problem to
get "good" points for each jump you successfully negotiate
and no eliminations?

I probably should mention that our eventing derby will be
only jumping, a combined course of stadium and cross country jumps. No dressage at all. Levels are Intro, BN and
Novice. This is aimed at folks who are getting started or are
bringing along a green horse.

JFCeventer
Jul. 1, 2012, 12:59 PM
I like the idea for Intro, but for BN and Novice, as a competitor, I would just like to be scored in the traditional way. Set an optimum time, whoever is clear and closest to it wins. I think you will have a problem doing it the way you suggest at BN and Novice because most competitors will probably jump clear, without refusals. In doing it this way, wouldn't everyone pretty much have the same number of "points?" Unless I am misunderstanding in which case I apologize.

You can still eliminate people for multiple stops and let them continue. They will then be officially eliminated but will still be able to complete. Or you can just have no official eliminations but give people the faults they deserve. For example , if someone has six stops in the entirety of the course, under normal circumstances they would be eliminated, but you could just give them 24 penalty points (4 points x 6 refusals) plus whatever time penalties they incur.

Hope that is helpful, sounds like a fun time, wish I were close enough to attend :)

SnicklefritzG
Jul. 1, 2012, 01:04 PM
I think this is a fabulous idea for intro.

retreadeventer
Jul. 1, 2012, 03:19 PM
It would require a knowledgeable on the ball judge for each jump, probably a bit too much for just one person to keep track unless they had a scribe.