PDA

View Full Version : Jersey Horse Park?

Auburn
Jul. 1, 2012, 10:33 AM
I was wondering if any of you saw Doug Payne's Open Training B dressage test?

It is listed as receiving 13.20 penalty points. :eek:

He finished on his dressage score. Wow.

If anyone got it on youtube, would you please post it?

JFCeventer
Jul. 1, 2012, 10:59 AM
Wow is right. If that's true, that is absolutely incredible! He's big on the internet blogging/facebook/twitter stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if he posts pictures/videos about it later.

ETA: Just looked at the scores and wonder if it isn't supposed to be a 23 instead of 13? There are two scores of 13 and one of 14 so either there is a mistake or there is some very generous judging. Obviously they had to have been amazing tests, but for three people to be well under 20? Will be interesting to hear later.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 1, 2012, 11:55 AM
My horse (Muggle) and my trainer (Kate Hicks) were second to them with a 13.6. She got lost on xc and had to double back to find a fence so ended with time (she was very mad as they would have easily made time and the jumps were no issue!!).

But it was a bit ridiculous to see scores like that. My horse is fancy and it was a nice test....scored mostly 9s and a few 8s. He had a 7 on his last halt because he got a bit distracted....so it could have scored below 13. All collective marks were 9s.

Honestly...I thought it was scored too generously. Watching at least the test for my horse--I would have said mid 20s (and wouldn't have been shocked with it higher). But we will take it. Just a bit obscene to have a 13.6 and be second after dressage!

Both Doug and Kate's horses are very good movers and both will be running Prelim soon.....and both riders are pros who are also very strong dressage riders. (there were some higher scores in that division too). Judge didn't have ton of comments on the test....but seemed to really reward how properly connected and through the topline Kate had my horse....it was a very well ridden test especially considering how hard my horse is to ride (especially in a tiny dressage ring!).

elizabeth Callahan
Jul. 1, 2012, 01:44 PM
I bred Doug's horse and would sure love to see that test. Lysander is close to 17.2, if not more -and a good mover but only 5 so would have expected some baby bobbles in the ring. With a 13.2 score, not much bobbling going on!

retreadeventer
Jul. 1, 2012, 01:50 PM
Cool!
All I can add is that I've ridden against Doug and can NEVER beat him in dressage; almost every time I am competing in an event where he has his dozen and half horses entered, I am in a division with him, and have to watch his dressage test, and have to ride right after him. It's happened about six times. You have no idea how disheartening it is to follow him in the arena!

DefyingGravityEventing
Jul. 1, 2012, 05:21 PM
the real secret has nothing to do with the horses/rider... merely Doug's sunglasses. People who wear sunglasses get major cool props :lol:

ise@ssl
Jul. 1, 2012, 08:13 PM
Anyone catch the name of the Photographer at the Horse Trials?

Clear Blue
Jul. 2, 2012, 06:12 PM
I think it is usually Shannon Brinkman

elizabeth Callahan
Jul. 2, 2012, 09:23 PM
http://youtu.be/V-JDe8oshC0

Lysander is by the Holsteiner stallion Lordship out of the TB mare Just For Terry, by Roanoke...

delusions of grandeur
Jul. 2, 2012, 10:28 PM
Cool!
All I can add is that I've ridden against Doug and can NEVER beat him in dressage; almost every time I am competing in an event where he has his dozen and half horses entered, I am in a division with him, and have to watch his dressage test, and have to ride right after him. It's happened about six times. You have no idea how disheartening it is to follow him in the arena!

It's doable! I managed to outscore him - on this horse - at Millbrook last year. I was sure I had no chance after seeing who was in the division, haha. I cannot claim I will ever touch a 13, though - that's about ten points lower than my current best. :)

Auburn
Jul. 3, 2012, 10:00 AM
elizabeth Callahan,
Thank you for posting the test. Wow! Congradulations on breeding such a nice boy. :)

Watching Doug ride a dressage test is a clinic in itself. After he taught me at Jackie Smith's camp at Stonegate last year, he improved my dressage scores from the low to mid 30's, down to the upper 20's to low 30's. He is a very good instructor and a personable young man.

Hopefully, he will get the recognition he deserves and be on a US team in the future. :yes:

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 4, 2012, 03:10 PM
Here was 2nd after dressage (13.6)....unfortunately, Kate got a little lost on xc so ended with time but no biggie (draw back of one day events where you only have time to walk once--and start the day early!)...we know this boy can gallop (now turning and being ridable, that is another story :) He was very good at this event.)

He's not easy to ride but Kate does a great job. We lost over a year from a pasture injury so they are just coming back. Moving up soon.

Both Doug and Kate had nice dressage tests...but I've seen better from both. FWIW--on Prince's test, Lowest score was a 7 for the final halt (only 7, everything else was 8 and 9)...collective marks were all 9s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_z7NxVQO8E

yellowbritches
Jul. 4, 2012, 03:21 PM
I wonder if this is the same judge who scored a novice test with a 16 and change a couple of months ago at Plantation. Saw the video of that test and thought it was overly generous.

Both of these tests are very nice...but I don't see 13s either. What did Doug get on the downward to walk? That was the only major resistance in the whole test, but it was looked like a pretty typical teenage moment RIGHT in front of the judge! :lol:

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 4, 2012, 03:22 PM
I wonder if this is the same judge who scored a novice test with a 16 and change a couple of months ago at Plantation. Saw the video of that test and thought it was overly generous.

Both of these tests are very nice...but I don't see 13s either. What did Doug get on the downward to walk? That was the only major resistance in the whole test, but it was looked like a pretty typical teenage moment RIGHT in front of the judge! :lol:

I agree. I thought it would be mid to high 20s...but still nice to get a lower score :). Also still ridden far better than I ever could!! I do think both of these horses will score far better in a larger ring. So bloody hard in these little dressage rings on big and big moving horses.

elizabeth Callahan
Jul. 4, 2012, 03:43 PM
I agree - nice test and far better than any of mine will ever be, but not a 13. Still fun to brag though.

yellowbritches
Jul. 4, 2012, 03:47 PM
Brag away!!! You know I would be (ha! Like I'd EVER score in the teens!!). :lol:

piaffeprincess98
Jul. 4, 2012, 04:58 PM
Doug actually posted the test with scores on his FB page if anyone was interested. Lots of 9s.

JFCeventer
Jul. 4, 2012, 05:36 PM

I just went to look at the score for that movement on the picture of the test he posted. He got a 9 on that...

yellowbritches
Jul. 4, 2012, 05:47 PM
My little black horse has a KILLER downward to walk....like, every time I do it, I think "Hell yeah! That had to be AT LEAST an 8!"

And we get, at best, a 7.

I'm thinking I might get some sunglasses like DGE suggests. :lol:

JFCeventer
Jul. 4, 2012, 06:09 PM
My little black horse has a KILLER downward to walk....like, every time I do it, I think "Hell yeah! That had to be AT LEAST an 8!"

And we get, at best, a 7.

I'm thinking I might get some sunglasses like DGE suggests. :lol:

I feel the same way! My horse has an awesome trot walk transition too and we nail it every.single.time. Yet, I think we've only received a 7 as out highest score on that movement as well. Pick me up a pair of those sunglasses when you get yours okay?

wookie
Jul. 5, 2012, 12:34 AM
well.....years and years ago i got a 10 as a final score. it was on a green horse at a horse trial. he received straight nines. it was ridiculous. i think the judge was just blinded by his cuteness.