PDA

View Full Version : squirrel chases hawk away...

2tempe
Jul. 1, 2012, 08:56 AM
OK, not a farm here, just an acre of yard. Tall stockade fence along the back property line, which seems to be used by the squirrels as their route from point A to point B. (We call it the Interstate due to the squirrel traffic)
The other day, noticed the local Red Tail Hawk sitting on the fence and then I saw a squirrel run up from the ground, charge the hawk and then jump off. :eek: This little bugger continued to repeat the charges, from different locations and directions, each time going to w/in probably two or so feet of the hawk, chattering up a storm. :mad: Probably went on for about 10 minutes...
After much feather ruffling, the hawk finally vacated the Interstate, leaving squirrel fully intact and quite proud of himself.:D

Is this normal or was the squirrel goofy?

EDITED to add: where is the camera when you need it...

msj
Jul. 1, 2012, 09:11 AM
I don't think it sounds goofy at all. Any number of times I'll see a smaller bird, maybe a red-winged black bird, chasing a red-tailed hawk or a crow. I'm guessing the offending bird got too close to their nest.

I'm glad I don't have your Interstate though. I consider squirrels and chipmunks along the same lines as rats and mice only with bushy pretty tails! :D

My2cents
Jul. 1, 2012, 09:39 AM
Years ago (before digital cameras) I took pics of a red tail sitting on a lower branch of a tree, fluffed up and resting. I watched a grey squirrel climb the tree and very brazenly approach the hawk. Same thing, the hawk was surprised and jumped straight up and flew off. The squirrel stayed behind and chattered away as if to say 'needed neener'.
And no, you can't see the pics because like all my 'pre digital' photography, I can't find anything in the multitude of shoe boxes that are my 'photo files'. ;)

charismaryllis
Jul. 3, 2012, 10:33 AM
many years ago i watched two adult squirrels absolutely doing the "neener neener!" thing to a redtail in lafayette square in DC. but the hawk was a juvenile, and the squirrels stayed deep in the tree where the bird had no chance of getting at them. hawk *reeeeeally* wanted one though, you could tell. :lol:

StillHorseCrazy
Jul. 3, 2012, 11:50 AM
Slightly different scenario . . . I saw a squirrel challenge a rabbit . . . and the squirrel lost. :yes:

The rabbit was sitting peacefully in some of my ground cover. I'd seen it there before, so it probably considered that area its territory. A squirrel ran up and challenged it. The rabbit fought back, boxing with its front paws. The squirrel kept running in and out, and the rabbit kept fighting back each time. Then the squirrel ran off! Hooray for the ninja bunny! :)

Alagirl
Jul. 3, 2012, 12:12 PM
well, it wasn't a hawk, but Mr Chipmunk made the mistake to accept the invitation for dinner to my house, courtesy of her Royal Catness....or was he the one who made it in though the opening by the window A/C unit....

No matter....following a big chase through the house I managed to wave said Mr Rodent out the back door. Followed by Kitty Bear, the 12 pound Bengal Tiger in disguise.....(he always is the great big game hunter after his sisters took care of it, guy thing?)

I go like this :rolleyes: thinking that chippy had a good run, at least thee are trees he can get up in....

The next thing I see is Mr Chippy taking a STAND against fat cat in the back yard, CHARGING him....:eek:

Sometimes the best defense IS a really ballsy offense....