PDA

View Full Version : Help! Spiders!

horseshrink
Jun. 30, 2012, 06:10 PM
My barn has been taken over by Daddy Long Legs.

Not sure what is drawing them here. My horse has been boarded for the last month, so is it because the barn is not being used? I am down there several times per day feeding cats, but there are no horses or other activity in there right now.

They are everywhere. The stall walls are covered. They don't appear to be harming anything and don't know if I should welcome them (are they eating other bugs?) or get them to move on?

Bacchus
Jul. 2, 2012, 10:17 AM
I don't know why they are taking over, but I wouldn't worry about it. Is the barn "wet"? They like moist areas and they like wood. I don't know what damage they can possibly do.

Of course, they aren't really spiders;)

wildlifer
Jul. 2, 2012, 02:20 PM
Technically, they aren't spiders, they are insects -- oh dangit, someone beat me to it! They don't hurt anything, they are not venemous, so I wouldn't worry.

horseshrink
Jul. 5, 2012, 12:11 PM
Thanks Bacchus and wildlifer.

No, the barn is not wet, just has been unused for the last couple of months. It is not wood, but metal. They are actually on the rubber mats that are hanging on the walls.

I know they are technically not spiders and I don't really mind them, BUT, there are millions, just millions of them.

I reach for the water bucket and a bunch of them run up my arm and down my back. Yuk.

How do I tell them a few can stay, but not the extended family?

rna2495444
Jul. 5, 2012, 03:09 PM
I have a wooden barn and have tons of them also. I "sweep" the stalls with a broom almost every night and by the next day, allthe cobwebs are back. Is there a safe pesticide to use?

lolita1
Jul. 6, 2012, 06:58 AM
Daddy Long Legs where I live Australia are one of the most venomous spiders however their teeth are too short to bite you which makes them very good deterrents for other spiders. I always feel bad if I vacuum one as they take out the red back spiders.

Bacchus
Jul. 6, 2012, 11:10 AM
OK, are these the normal "non-spider" daddy long legs or the daddy long legs that actually are spiders? I'm pretty sure the creature I'm referring to (non-spider, long spindly legs, not harmful) doesn't make webs -- one reason they aren't spiders.

lolita1, I've heard that is not true, at least of the daddy long legs I'm thinking of -- it's a tale. But, maybe that I heard it's a tale is a tale;)

Bacchus
Jul. 6, 2012, 11:12 AM
This is what I'm talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opiliones (No web or venom.)

horseshrink
Jul. 6, 2012, 11:46 AM
Yes, Bacchus, I'm pretty sure that is what they are. There are no webs. I really don't have an issue with them OTHER than the quantity!! Pretty sure it is an urban legend about them being so venomous. I have been running my hand through the millions piled onto each other and they are so soft! Probably an ick factor for the arachnophobes. :D

EWWW...did you read where they can detach their legs (which keep on walking) to confuse preditors? Creepy. :eek:

I guess I'll just bring my horses home and see if they can either co-exist or maybe the spiders will move along.

Bacchus
Jul. 6, 2012, 01:00 PM
I think the horses will be fine -- maybe it'll be a little added protein;)