PDA

View Full Version : Snake eggs picture:

Bluey
Jun. 30, 2012, 03:45 PM
Was doing some dirt work to put in a cattleguard and found this clutch of fresh, rubbery snake eggs, the size of big chicken eggs:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/Robintoo/IMG_0109.jpg

Not rattlers, those are born alive.
Can't tell which kind of snake, too fresh the eggs, but a big one.
Too bad they were too disturbed to rebury.:(

kookicat
Jun. 30, 2012, 04:36 PM
Snake eggs are the strangest looking things.

Zu Zu
Jun. 30, 2012, 05:29 PM
EEEWWWW ```` don't get me 'STARTED' ````:lol::lol::lol:

Bluey
Jun. 30, 2012, 06:20 PM
EEEWWWW ```` don't get me 'STARTED' ````:lol::lol::lol:

But, but, those are harmless, interesting rubbery, slimy eggs, not slithering critters.
They would not have been snakes for a couple of months.:cool:

Guin
Jun. 30, 2012, 06:21 PM
Oh neat! Did you have to squash them? :no: Could they be turtle eggs?

Bluey
Jun. 30, 2012, 06:30 PM
Oh neat! Did you have to squash them? :no: Could they be turtle eggs?

No, I didn't squash them on purpose, didn't know they were there, saw them after I had scraped them.:(
We are so super dry, I don't know where I could have found a spot to rehome them anyway.
I am not sure they would have made it anyway, unless we start getting rain soon.

They look like snake eggs, not turtle eggs, but then, I have never seen turtle eggs, although have seen snake eggs a few times before.

If those are turtle, they sure are big and we only have small turtless around here.

tradewind
Jun. 30, 2012, 06:47 PM
interesting photo, I have never seen snake eggs before...

rmh_rider
Jun. 30, 2012, 09:39 PM
Are ya sure they are snake eggs? Well, I can't think of anything that would leave their eggs of that size there.

WOW how neat. And dang, they sure are right there ain't they? Stupid snake.

Isn't there a snake book somewhere identifying their eggs? You know, like a chicken book of what color the eggs are for them.

Burbank
Jun. 30, 2012, 09:45 PM
how about disceting one of the destroyed eggs?

I once disturbed some blue tail skink eggs, they were in the sawdust pile, we took one to make sure it wasn't a snake and then tried to cover up the rest the best we could

Foxtrot's
Jun. 30, 2012, 10:19 PM
Where's 2jake when you need her?

ReSomething
Jun. 30, 2012, 10:51 PM
I hate disturbing wildlife and their nests, that's too bad. I know that every once in a great while my chickens will lay a rubbery egg, no shell to it. If you've ever seen one of those is that what they are like?

Bluey
Jun. 30, 2012, 10:56 PM
I hate disturbing wildlife and their nests, that's too bad. I know that every once in a great while my chickens will lay a rubbery egg, no shell to it. If you've ever seen one of those is that what they are like?

Yes, similar to the soft shell chicken eggs, but very wet and, unlike chicken eggs, these were the same size both ends and maybe a bit longer than chicken eggs, although about as wide as the wide part of large chicken eggs.
There were eight of them and kind of sticking to each other.

That hole with the eggs was buried a good 18" to 24" deep under a dirt road, where I am putting in a cattleguard.
No way to know that was there.:confused:

ReSomething
Jun. 30, 2012, 11:05 PM
No you couldn't have known. Interesting.

Lauruffian
Jun. 30, 2012, 11:31 PM
NEAT! And aw, man, poor baby snakies.

This is my corn snake Cleo and her clutch of infertile eggs she laid this past spring (https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/292159_4200090880007_1105130604_n.jpg). Yup, like chickens, snakes can lay infertile eggs. I hope to breed her next year so we can have fertile ones. :)

Don't knock 'em, now! Cleo and her kind are awesome pets. I've had her since she was 2 weeks old. :yes:

Bluey
Jun. 30, 2012, 11:44 PM
NEAT! And aw, man, poor baby snakies.

This is my corn snake Cleo and her clutch of infertile eggs she laid this past spring (https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/292159_4200090880007_1105130604_n.jpg). Yup, like chickens, snakes can lay infertile eggs. I hope to breed her next year so we can have fertile ones. :)

Don't knock 'em, now! Cleo and her kind are awesome pets. I've had her since she was 2 weeks old. :yes:

Cleo is a beautiful snake, what colors!

These eggs were so fresh, there was not but some light fluid in them, nothing yet formed.
When I moved them out of the hole, they leaked that fluid into the hole, that is how I knew they were damaged, not viable any more.

No telling how many roads we drive over with such tunnels and who knows what in them.:eek:

cowboymom
Jul. 1, 2012, 12:27 AM
I have nothing constructive to add except thanks for the cool picture! That's not anything I've seen before and it was cool to see it. I have to admit I would have torn one open just to see... :yes:

grayarabpony
Jul. 1, 2012, 08:23 AM
Those look like turtle eggs...

Bluey
Jul. 1, 2012, 09:00 AM
Those look like turtle eggs...

This is what I found on googling, looks like turtle eggs are round like golf balls, snake eggs long as those I found were:

---You found some type of snake egg, if you moved them, they must be kept still and not rolled over or handled. Vermiculite kept moist at a constant temperature between 80 and 83 degrees will produce viable eggs hatchlings in 60 to 90 days depending upon species. The species are non-venomous as all venomous snakes in your area are live born. Turtle eggs are round like a golf ball.
If you are going to retrieve them, carry the vermiculite with you and mark the top of the egg with a dot made by a felt tip marker. This is done so the egg will remain upright, make a dent in the soil and place the egg one at a time unless they are stuck together, in that case move the whole clump. Make sure the eggs stay slightly moist by misting the soil every 36 to 48 hours with a spray bottle."---

Guess that we will never know for sure, but we have some very big bull snakes around here, that I guess is who laid them.
I almost ran over one with the tractor a few days ago close to that spot.

Bacardi1
Jul. 1, 2012, 08:00 PM
Was doing some dirt work to put in a cattleguard and found this clutch of fresh, rubbery snake eggs, the size of big chicken eggs:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/Robintoo/IMG_0109.jpg

Not rattlers, those are born alive.
Can't tell which kind of snake, too fresh the eggs, but a big one.
Too bad they were too disturbed to rebury.:(

I won't go into details, but if this ever happens again, you can actually hatch out unbroken eggs yourself. Do a websearch - very easy, & no "after care" needed. You just let the little critters go.

Oh - & these are/were DEFINITELY snake eggs, & DEFINITELY NOT turtle eggs. Turtle eggs are round, like golf balls, not elliptical like these. Snake eggs are always elliptical. As far as lizard eggs? They'd be elliptical as well, but MUCH smaller. So the OP's eggs aren't lizard eggs either. Definitely snake eggs.

ReSomething
Jul. 1, 2012, 08:03 PM
I'm one of those that like snakes, and Cleo there is very pretty. As well as looking like a very protective mamma, even if the eggs are infertile.

Bluey
Jul. 1, 2012, 08:12 PM
I won't go into details, but if this ever happens again, you can actually hatch out unbroken eggs yourself. Do a websearch - very easy, & no "after care" needed. You just let the little critters go.

Oh - & these are/were DEFINITELY snake eggs, & DEFINITELY NOT turtle eggs. Turtle eggs are round, like golf balls, not elliptical like these. Snake eggs are always elliptical. As far as lizard eggs? They'd be elliptical as well, but MUCH smaller. So the OP's eggs aren't lizard eggs either. Definitely snake eggs.

None were whole, all were leaking, probably compressed and scraped just past help, two were completely scraped flat.
Do you have a way to patch them once damaged?:no:

Bacardi1
Jul. 1, 2012, 09:28 PM
No - definitely too far gone. But many kudos for even asking! :)