PDA

View Full Version : The Ark FEH/YEH/NEH August 12th

Aussie08
Jun. 30, 2012, 01:33 PM
Since I was 'promoting' the FEH/NEH/YEH at Cedar Ridge Farm in GA, I didn't want to leave out The Ark's (NC) FEH/NEH/YEH!

The Ark has always supported it's competitors and when asked to include the NEH in their program, they stepped up and included it and ran it with very limited entries the first time (2 of us). And I believe they only had one entry earlier this year.

It's the only other venue that offers these programs that is close enough to Area III (well, some of us in Area III) to make it doable.

I'm thankful to The Ark and Abbey for supporting their competitors.

tres grey
Jun. 30, 2012, 01:39 PM
I just moved to Charlotte and never been to The Ark (or any of the EH series). Since its in my neck of the woods, I'll definitely will be down there to spectate and maybe snap a few pictures. :)

thepeacha
Jun. 30, 2012, 02:09 PM
I've really enjoyed volunteering at The Ark, sadly I won't be able to help with this one. Cheers to all, and I agree with the OP- The Ark is great!

Glenbaer
Jun. 30, 2012, 07:35 PM
This will be a wonderful show for all the young horses, and I highly encourage everyone to enter! The JMP Farm/Glenbaer contingent should be there, including JER's 4yo gelding and bornfreenowexpensive's 5yo mare. A couple of our new young-but-not-young-enough greenies will also be entered in the NEH class. (And this year, the goose population and one wallaby will be returning home with us. :winkgrin:)

We are very much looking forward to participating in this great opportunity! Many, many thanks to Abbey and the Wylies for offering this show!

Aussie08
Jun. 30, 2012, 07:53 PM
Where's that LIKE button when you need it? LOL I'm so looking forward to being there again and to get to see Abbey. I'm so glad that the Wylies and she worked out something for her to still be involved after she moves.

The Ark competitions just wouldn't be the same without Abbey!

ThirdCharm
Jun. 30, 2012, 09:37 PM
Hoping to be there with a yearling and a 2yo at least....

Jennifer

FLeckenAwesome
Jun. 30, 2012, 11:29 PM
Am considering bringing my yearling and my big guy. Aren't they having a schooling CT too?

Aussie08
Jul. 1, 2012, 12:05 AM
Holly, they are having a schooling show on Saturday, Aug. 11th with the USEA FEH/NEH/YEH on Sunday.

Hope to see you there! Are you still doing Cedar Ridge as well?

FLeckenAwesome
Jul. 1, 2012, 02:19 AM
planning on it, but it'll just depend on how things are going :)
thanks!

Aussie08
Jul. 3, 2012, 12:00 AM
I posted our entry for the 3yr old FEH this morning. Sort of a sad moment. Our last FEH @ The Ark....I can't imagine ever having another one young enough to do FEH again. Of course, being a horse person of the Event variety...you never know. The upside is...they run NEH! Yay! 'Cause Encore is not going to be ready for YEH.

Ok y'all, get those entries filled out and mailed and let's have a great showing.

JER
Jul. 3, 2012, 12:15 AM
As Glenbaer said, my wonderful 4YO will be there.

I love venues like the Ark, and I'm so grateful that organizers are willing to take on the daunting task of hosting a FEH/YEH/NEH.

:)

fanfayre
Jul. 3, 2012, 12:58 PM
JER:
did you know there's a small group up here trying to get YEH/FEH competitions up and running up here? There should be at least 2 competitions in BC alone this year (I'm trying to get a 3rd organised) and some in Ontario too. From the sounds of it the organisers could really do with some support and encouragement.

JER
Jul. 3, 2012, 01:07 PM
JER:
did you know there's a small group up here trying to get YEH/FEH competitions up and running up here? There should be at least 2 competitions in BC alone this year (I'm trying to get a 3rd organised) and some in Ontario too. From the sounds of it the organisers could really do with some support and encouragement.

Oh, what good news!

I haven't heard anything about this but would be happy to help. At the moment, I don't have any youngsters in BC but that status is highly subject to change.

One of the reasons I sent Danny to NC is that there wasn't enough for him to do in BC or really any way to get him out and be seen as a fledgling eventer. It would have been quite easy to sell him as a Children's/AA hunter, however.

lecoeurtriste
Jul. 4, 2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the support, Mary! It will be interesting organizing this first set of shows from a distance--but Jeff has graciously agreed to fly me down to actually run them. For those entering the NEH/YEH, I'm planning to use basically the same jumping tracks as the spring, but give everyone options to do a few bigger jumps (i.e. BN for the NEH, N for the 4yo, and T for the 5yo) to accommodate those who are doing championships in September (where the jumps will be MUCH bigger!). [BTW, if anyone wants a copy, just email me and I'll send it.]

I might also decide to run the baby (4yo), but the more she matures, the more obvious it becomes that she's really more suited for Dressage than eventing (conformation-wise). Of course, I can't let Fleckenawesome's baby be the ONLY spotted representative at the show! ;)

Abbey

Wits End Eventing
Jul. 4, 2012, 09:42 PM
We will be there with some combination of 4 horses for the FEH. Probably a 3yo and 3 yearlings. Thank you Abbey for your dedication to the youngsters!

GreyDun
Jul. 4, 2012, 10:02 PM
Would love to come and bring down some babies! Quick question about the NEH...even though I should probably know this, is it open to horses who've never done a recognized BN or horses who've never done a recognized Novice? I wasn't quite clear on that.

Aussie08
Jul. 5, 2012, 03:26 AM
Yes, I noticed the two different standards for the NEH. The Ark's website says USEA BN but the USEA page says Novice.

I'm sure that Abbey can clear this up for us.

lecoeurtriste
Jul. 5, 2012, 08:58 AM
In regards to the previous two questions, I think the USEA contradicts themselves a bit:

"NEH classes are intended to assess a horse’s capability for Eventing and to provide a stepping stone TO recognized Eventing": Implies that the horse has not completed a recognized HT.

"Fences must be between 2’3”-2’7” and should at no time be more difficult than the specifications for a Beginner Novice competition": This statement has been tweaked since we ran in March, when it was a MAX of 2'3", and again implies that the course should be set for horses just becoming ready to do BN.

"Horses in the NEH may be cross-entered at Beginner Novice or Novice at a recognized horse trials occurring in conjunction with the NEH class": And now this reads as a total contradiction...if they are entered at Novice, why on earth would they need a "stepping stone" competition set at no more than BN standards to determine if they're ready to do recognized HTs??

I argued with the USEA last year about the membership requirements for horses and riders...if this program is meant to allow someone to 'try' eventing to see if it's a good fit for themselves or their horse, requiring $100+ in membership fees on top of entry fees is crazy (and probably a HUGE reason these classes aren't more popular--it's so much cheaper to go to a local unrecognized HT).

Long story short, events are allowed to add other sub-divisions than what is usually done, and we chose to limit it to horses who haven't gone RECOGNIZED beginner novice. Frankly, since the jumps are mostly 2'3", I didn't think anyone who had gone BN or N would want to do it...but if I'm wrong, and riders out there want to compete at our event in August who have done a USEA HT at BN, please let me know, and I'll waive the restriction for everyone.

Abbey

Aussie08
Jul. 5, 2012, 09:11 AM
Abbey, I'm sure that helps clarify it for everyone. I think they still must be finding their way through the NEH. I've read other organizers descriptions etc for NEH and it is a wide difference.

I do understand what you are saying regarding membership. I wonder if could be like the (I think) $25 non member (as for BN competitors) fee for NEH horses/riders. That would keep the cost down, a bit, but they'd still get the 'taste' of what Eventing could be. I love it for all the feedback/education you get and the 'in hand' portion. Especially at your last show where the judge gave all her comments aloud.

Thanks for being so quick to respond.

FLeckenAwesome
Jul. 5, 2012, 11:04 AM
ha ha.... I would LOVE to see your spotted baby Abbey!!! Bring her!! I'm trying to convince some friends too.... Two of which also have spotted ones :)

TheBarnSlave24/7
Jul. 5, 2012, 11:46 AM
I am new to eventing and am thinking of entering my 6 yr old in the NEH at the Ark. I have a few questions...

Im assuming that you do a jog/inspection? I've never done one of these!

Is the dressage evaluation form filled out in addition to a regular dressage score sheet?

What is the jumping format? do you do separate cross country and stadium rounds?

Not a question but a sidenote...I notice on the evaluation form they judge whether the horse is suitable for a JR/amateur, this is a little discouraging. My horse is NOT jr/amatuer material at all for jumping. I feel that he has upperlevel potential, but only for a professional.

I dont really care what my overall score is as long as my horse and I are gaining experience. What are the pros/cons to doing the NEH versus a regular BN horse trial?

JER
Jul. 5, 2012, 01:21 PM
Not a question but a sidenote...I notice on the evaluation form they judge whether the horse is suitable for a JR/amateur, this is a little discouraging. My horse is NOT jr/amatuer material at all for jumping. I feel that he has upperlevel potential, but only for a professional.

But that's the stated objective of the class. Why is it discouraging?

I sent two mares to an NEH last year. 6YO was too old for YEH, 5YO wasn't ready for T height fences. Neither is really JR/amateur material, although the 5YO is a quiet, pretty TB.

The 6YO is unusual in all respects -- tiny, skinny, opinionated. She's also massively talented and looks like a pro ride (she's not difficult, but you have to have a light touch and excellent balance).

The 5YO was placed 2nd. The 6YO came last. The best packer won. Not that I cared at all -- it was a good day out for both.

The NEH is about fun and feedback, which are always a good thing.

:):)

Aussie08
Jul. 5, 2012, 01:29 PM
I'll give you my input on the NEH from doing one to watching and trying to get it promoted to other venues.

It sounds like you've either read or downloaded a copy of the NEH score sheets. It has sections for each area and then an overall sheet. It is not scored as a regular HT.

The whole NEH runs on the 'guidelines' of the YEH, you do an in hand presentation first. You present you horse/pony standing up, and on the straight line at walk and trot. I did it for the first time at The Ark and it was not hard and the judges are very helpful and let you know exactly what they'd like. Depending on the time schedule, you can present in, either the suggested attire or in you Dressage attire. Horses/ponies are usually braided.

The Dressage test is the 4yr old YEH test which is an abbreviated test. And it is only judged at the test is written.

The jumping test is a combined test of stadium fences and CC fences with the focus on CC and a gallop after the last CC fence.

Although the overall guidelines seem to gear the NEH towards an Amateur ride for Prelim and below, it also allows organizers to run them in different ways, as Abbey mentioned above. So, in my opinion, it would be a great outing for your horse, having not done Eventing and is too old for the YEH program.

For me, I'm using it for an older pony that I am introducing Eventing and will be using it for my 3yr because he is an August born baby and I feel would be pushing to try and do the YEH next year. By mid to late next year, he MAY be able to test the NEH. Or he may wait til his 5yr old year to test it. And for me, I love it for the education and in depth comments the judges make.

It will be interesting to see how the NEH program evolves, since it is a very new program.

I really appreciate the openness that Abbey and The Ark has been by adding this program. And for allowing for 'leeway' for competitors to enter.

Hope this is helpful and I'm sure Abbey might add something as well as others that have entered or had students/clients enter.

Hope to see you there.

TheBarnSlave24/7
Jul. 5, 2012, 02:57 PM
JER - I did not realize it was geared towards the jr/amatuer type horses. I just finished reading "Method of Judging" and find it very interesting and very fair. Seems like NEH would be a good introduction for the XC for my guy.

Aussie08 - Thank you for all of that information, that is a huge help. I have a MUCH better understanding for what to expect now.

GreyDun
Jul. 5, 2012, 06:42 PM
Abbey - Thanks for clearing this up. I have a 5yo who has already competed in a few recognized BN events, so I suppose he can't do the NEH. But unfortunately I think that the 5yo YEH stuff will be a bit of a stretch (Novice level would be fine, but Training height...ehh...not yet).

So, I may leave him at home since it sounds like he wouldn't really fit in a category...

Could possibly bring 2 3yo's though for the FEH!

In regards to the previous two questions, I think the USEA contradicts themselves a bit:

"NEH classes are intended to assess a horse’s capability for Eventing and to provide a stepping stone TO recognized Eventing": Implies that the horse has not completed a recognized HT.

"Fences must be between 2’3”-2’7” and should at no time be more difficult than the specifications for a Beginner Novice competition": This statement has been tweaked since we ran in March, when it was a MAX of 2'3", and again implies that the course should be set for horses just becoming ready to do BN.

"Horses in the NEH may be cross-entered at Beginner Novice or Novice at a recognized horse trials occurring in conjunction with the NEH class": And now this reads as a total contradiction...if they are entered at Novice, why on earth would they need a "stepping stone" competition set at no more than BN standards to determine if they're ready to do recognized HTs??

I argued with the USEA last year about the membership requirements for horses and riders...if this program is meant to allow someone to 'try' eventing to see if it's a good fit for themselves or their horse, requiring $100+ in membership fees on top of entry fees is crazy (and probably a HUGE reason these classes aren't more popular--it's so much cheaper to go to a local unrecognized HT).

Long story short, events are allowed to add other sub-divisions than what is usually done, and we chose to limit it to horses who haven't gone RECOGNIZED beginner novice. Frankly, since the jumps are mostly 2'3", I didn't think anyone who had gone BN or N would want to do it...but if I'm wrong, and riders out there want to compete at our event in August who have done a USEA HT at BN, please let me know, and I'll waive the restriction for everyone.

Abbey

ThirdCharm
Jul. 5, 2012, 06:45 PM
NEH is intended to cater to the ammies bringing along maybe-not-UL-but-great-tempered young horses, or pros seeking to market such horses. These horses may not tend to do well in FEH/YEH which has as its stated objective finding UL prospects, but there is a definite market for such youngsters and the NEH is intended to give them an outlet. Also a nice intro for the ammies with packer types from other disciplines to give things a swing.

I imagine an older UL prospect would probably zip up through the levels with its pro and not need to dink around with the small stuff long enough to worry about having a special division....

Jennifer

Aussie08
Jul. 5, 2012, 10:23 PM
FYI, for those that haven't entered before...unless someone knows something I don't know, as of right now, there are NO separate NEH entry forms, so don't drive yourself crazy trying to find one.

I was told to use the YEH forms and mark through the YEH and write in what ever info there isn't a slot for.

Anyone else heard differently?

I'm going to email USEA and again ask that they add NEH entry forms or at the very least, put the info out on the website.

lecoeurtriste
Jul. 6, 2012, 09:30 AM
One more thing to consider is running HC (we've allowed that in the past, and see no reason to stop). For example, if your 6yo has upper level potential, but has aged out of the YEH program, you could run him/her HC in either the 4yo or 5yo class. You would get a numerical score, but it wouldn't count toward placings or year-end championships. (Note: this only applies to the YEH--NEH horses can be of any age). This is also an excellent compromise for a 5yo who isn't ready for T fences--if you're truly out for an educational experience and not a qualifying score--run them in the 4yo division and do N.

We will also modify the restriction at our August event to 'not competed above BN'.

Abbey

Aussie08
Jul. 6, 2012, 11:26 PM
Abbey, that is a great suggestion. That would give Grey Dun and opening if she needs/wants and outing for her horse. And opens things up for others as well.

Aussie08
Jul. 11, 2012, 12:18 AM
I emailed Leslie, Wendy and Jo this evening regarding the possibility of now having dedicated NEH entry forms or if we couldn't have those could they put an announcement on the website directing members what forms to use when entering the NEH divisions and ........

Leslie already emailed me back saying she was going to work on getting the forms! Yay Leslie!

It will make things so much easier for everyone involved. I know of a couple of people that spent a lot of time searching the USEA website for NEH entry forms.

Selfishly, I'm glad they are being supportive of the NEH program this year. I really need/want there to be at least a few more offered within a reasonable distance. (Area III)

Aussie08
Jul. 13, 2012, 12:20 AM
Just received and email from Leslie @ USEA and the new NEH entry forms are available to download on the YEH page.

Great work Leslie and fast!