PDA

View Full Version : Dumb newbie question.

Mukluk
Jun. 30, 2012, 10:31 AM
Doing our first event tomorrow- casual schooling show. I suppose we are supposed to wear our hair up for dressage (like hunter hair?). How about xc and show jumping- still up or is a pony tail OK? In case you haven't guessed, I prefer to not wear my hair up if I can avoid it but I will if it's the "right" thing to do.

Cruiser12
Jun. 30, 2012, 10:36 AM
Pony tails are fine! If you want to look a little neater, braid your pony tail (YOUR pony tail- not your Pony's tail- LOL couldn't resist that corny pun)
have fun and come back and let us know how it went!

Mukluk
Jun. 30, 2012, 11:03 AM
Another question. I have a fitted white show pad and also a "gasp" Purple square pad. Does it matter if I use the purple one for dressage? The fitted pad tends to slip a bit even though I use a rug pad under it. Planning to use the purple square pad for jumping but can I get away with that one for dressage too?

Mukluk
Jun. 30, 2012, 11:04 AM
Pony tails are fine! If you want to look a little neater, braid your pony tail (YOUR pony tail- not your Pony's tail- LOL couldn't resist that corny pun)
have fun and come back and let us know how it went!

If that's the case, I think I will french braid my hair. I can do that real quick with wet hair in the am!!!

Eleanor
Jun. 30, 2012, 11:13 AM
If that's the case, I think I will french braid my hair. I can do that real quick with wet hair in the am!!!

This is what I always did for showing. then I would just roll the end under and band it like a horse braid. That way it was neat and out of the way. It also stayed put all day.

Far_North_Equestrian
Jun. 30, 2012, 11:15 AM
I would have your hair up and neat for Dressage/SJ. Anything goes for XC but neat and tidy is still good.

If you're going to french braid, just tuck the tail up/make a little bun with the braid. Easy. "hunter hair" not needed, but neat and tidy is more appropriate.

PLEASE don't use the purple pad for dressage :) if you can get away with just the white fitted pad just for dressage that would work - or just go buy a cheapie white square pad for $20?

Tucked_Away
Jun. 30, 2012, 11:18 AM
Just a reminder re anything going for xc that you don't want to obscure your pinney number. Dunno if you hair is long enough for that to be an issue, but just in case! :)

Mukluk
Jun. 30, 2012, 12:08 PM
Thanks all, I might get a white square pad for dressage- or not. I can loop up the end of the french braid for dressage, and either leave it up or tuck it under number for jumping. So excited to do very first event!!!!!!!!!

JFCeventer
Jun. 30, 2012, 01:09 PM
While you *can* leave your hair in a ponytail or braid down your back (as long as it doesn't obscure your pinny), please please don't! I'm begging you! If you tuck it under into a bun that sticks out your helmet that's fine, its what I do. I just cringe when I see someones ponytail/braid boucing around while they're out on cross country. I don't really know why, it's just always bothered me!

Also, please suffer through dressage with the white pad. Even at a schooling show, purple will stand out a little too much. Do you have a black or tan pad you can use?

Good luck and have fun! :)

MeghanDACVA
Jun. 30, 2012, 01:24 PM
If I did my hair in a french braid, which I do for other reasons, it would never work.
1) it is so thick the braid on the back on my head increases my helmet size several sizes
2) it is so long that tucking the end up into the braid is not even remotely possible due to the length. Even if length wasn't the probllem, the thickness would be even more.

I have very long, and thick, hair. I braid it into a pony tail then put it into a bun at the base of my neck for dressage. I leave the pony tail down for cross country and usually for stadium unless I am feeling the need to be extra formal for stadium.

But if your hair will go "up" easily and neatly, do it.

RedxHandedxJill
Jun. 30, 2012, 02:42 PM
Go ahead and braid/french braid it and then tuck it up. As everyone else the most important thing is to make sure it doesn't cover up your number! I usually braid mine and then wrap it into a low bun for all three phases (stays up better that way. flyaways drive me nuts!!) And I've gotten several "best turnout" awards.

Have fun! You'll remember your first event all your life. I still smile when I think of mine!

retreadeventer
Jun. 30, 2012, 02:52 PM
Any color pad you want; just make sure it's clean, and it fits well, is not sliding about, and doesn't clash too bad with what you are wearing! Don't go out and think you need to buy anything. Clean and fits well - most important. Shiny horse that is obedient and does a great dressage test for a competent rider -- that is what the judge wants to see. I guarantee you when I judge I cannot tell you the color of the pad; th!at's not what I'm looking for!

Tying your hair back so that it doesn't bounce around is best, and for your own safety, a hair net is a good accessory; it prevents hair from distracting you in your face and presents a neat appearance. It would be nice if you didn't cover up your back number with a long, fluffy ponytail (jump judgers don't like to have to guess), but if a braid is annoying, by all means, do what is comfortable for YOU.

It's an unrecognized event. The important thing is to be comfortable, without distractions, so that you can RIDE WELL, which is, of course the POINT!!!! :)))

Mukluk
Jun. 30, 2012, 04:24 PM
I tried the french braid with bottom flipped up (wearing my helmet) and it looks fine, + easy to do. Will probably use a white pad of some sort for dressage. I just hope the girl behaves herself! She is an OTTB and can be exuberant.... though she was very good in her lesson yesterday in which we rode through the dressage test and popped over a few fences.

phoebetrainer
Jun. 30, 2012, 05:41 PM
Doesn't a french braid under your helmet give you a headache? I used to have long hair and tried the french braid a few times - it was fine for lessons and rides at home, but when I got to competitions and was wearing my helmet for so much longer, I ended up with headaches from the pressure. Took me a while to work out what the cause was. Went back to a braid, doubled and tied with hairnet over for dressage, without hairnet for the rest of the day.

wildlifer
Jun. 30, 2012, 06:08 PM
Is it a schooling show or a recognized show? I do wear a hairnet for recognized show but I don't do that embarrassing hunter hair, I think that looks ridiculous. I just contain the mad frizz.

As for your pad, if it's solid coloured and dark, you are fine. I show in a navy blue *gasp* pad with *gasp* gold braid piping at recognized shows with no compalints. I have a navy jacket and am philosophically opposed to putting white fabric around horses unless you are just a masochistic laundry ho.

VicariousRider
Jun. 30, 2012, 08:06 PM
Hunter hair really is not that hard if your hair is shoulder length or longer an you have a hair net and I find it much more comfortable than a braid tucked up because that creates a big 'ole lump at the back of my helmet. Ouch!

Here are some hunter hair tutorials:
Number 1 (http://showringready.blogspot.com/2011/04/hunter-hair-explained.html)
Number 2: COTH Video with Jennifer Bliss (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX-rIk9zzFk)

I also think that a white pad is a better plan than purple in dressage. If you have no other choice you will be fine but it is not traditional. Here are some really affordable ones:
Smartpak 1 (http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartpak-medium-diamond-dressage-saddle-pad-9497p.aspx?cm_vc=Search)
Smartpak 2 (http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartpak-small-diamond-dressage-saddle-pad-9498p.aspx?cm_vc=Search)

Mukluk
Jul. 2, 2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks everyone!!! We went with the french braid wrapped up and treated horsey (who am I kidding) me to a new white pad with 2 strands of white cording around the edges (classy but subtle). I'll post how we did separately.