PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Arena - open or closed?

Sparky Boy
Jun. 30, 2012, 08:55 AM
Do you generally leave the end doors open or closed?

If left open -
Footing dries out faster.
Bats and birds may move in.

On the upside, stays cooler and there's generally a nice breeze rolling through.

I already have a few bats. Going to get a bat house and encourage them to to move. Have a few sparrows in the barn now, which I HATE, but none in indoor yet because I normally leave it shut. Rarely used it before now. Footing was just fixed so I think it will see more use.

Alianna
Jun. 30, 2012, 08:57 AM
Open unless it is raining hard. The birds will move in regardless...they are pretty smart and will find a way in no matter what you do.

clanter
Jun. 30, 2012, 09:07 AM
Greenhouse shade screens can be used, they allow light and air but keep the birds out.

Several companies will custom make the nets in specific sizes to fill any area you have.

We have used this product in place of fiberglass panels to let light and air in the main barn. Driving rain will not go through the fabric

Equibrit
Jun. 30, 2012, 09:41 AM
http://www.strip-curtains.com/proCat/pvcMeshDoors.php

Eleanor
Jun. 30, 2012, 11:09 AM
In the summer I left the door open just the one as the other end didn't have gates on it.

If I had big fans on the ceiling I think I would have keep it closed.

Zu Zu
Jun. 30, 2012, 05:42 PM
OPEN ~ unless expecting a snow storm ``which sounds "good' today ! :lol::lol::lol:

CHT
Jun. 30, 2012, 05:54 PM
I keep my arena door closed. Zero birds, and it stays pretty cool that way (arena is heavily insulated). We tried leaving it open a couple years ago, and had some issues:
1) lots of tree and weed "fluff" blew in...and then tried to grow in the corners. Thistles love rubber crumb!
2) footing dried out quickly. Arena got warmer if we had a heat wave and/or had frequent night storms so the door had to be shut at night.
3) Things (deer, dog, people) going past the open door would sometimes spook my lesson horses.
4) Created a bit of a wind tunnel with the barn and things in the barn would be blown about.

Calvincrowe
Jun. 30, 2012, 06:24 PM
I think it depends on where you live (weather/temps), what you use the arena for (lessons, daily personal use, public) and what your footing consists of.

I prefer an open wall or open doors--light, breeze, view, realistic expectations of sudden movement (teaches you what to do if your horse spooks). Unless you can guarantee that every show your kids/students/you go to has an enclosed box to ride in, an open door/wall allows for the unexpected to be dealt with.

If you have a dry climate, with hot summers, then closed doors may help retain footing moisture. Here, opening a door allows the footing to dry where it got rained on;). Plant growth? pull it up.

2DogsFarm
Jun. 30, 2012, 08:55 PM
I have 12' sliders all around my indoor which attaches to the barn.

All of them are left open partway or more unless there's a truly bad storm. Although both sides and back were open about 12/way last night when a thunderstorm blew through with 40mph winds.
It started at midnight, no way I was trudging through that to close them!

I always close the one that connects to the barn at night except for a barncat-width.
Same for the front slider to the barn.

Both barn & indoor face North/South so I get nice cross ventilation in good weather.

All doors are shut up tight in my Midwest Winter.

The Shadow
Jul. 2, 2012, 12:32 PM
We keep them closed in the spring when birds are looking for nesting sites. Since our biggest problem area is door tracks, we open the sliding doors daily (sometimes more for those persistent ones) to knock down nests before they get very far. Closed in winter, some doors open in summer. So far have not had a big problem with birds in the arena. Hate the sparrows and starlings, welcome the barn swallows. Discrimination, I know. Swallows stay in the barn - have never had any in the arena.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jul. 2, 2012, 04:11 PM
Insulated or not? Like someone said, that will probably make a huge difference in what you decide.

I love my friend's arena--it has roll up sides (like a dairy) above the kick boards.

Sparky Boy
Jul. 2, 2012, 07:13 PM
With this horrible heat, I've answered my own question - open.