PDA

View Full Version : OMG OMG I don't "DO" possums!!!

ManyDogs
Jun. 29, 2012, 10:25 PM
I lived in Alaska. Bears were OK. I had a gun-not that I used it. :eek: Moose in the yard or on the road. Caribou on the highway. Even saw an ermine once.
I can handle wildlife. We live in the country-black snakes, foxes, turkeys, snapping turtles, raccoons, possums. But NOT IN MY LAUNDRY ROOM. :eek::no::eek: I turn into GIRLY GIRL!
AAGGGGHHH I go to put clothes in the dryer and a POSSUM is crawling over my washing machine and goes down the back. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Where is DH because I ain't goin back in there. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. So now the side door is open so IT can leave and go back to its tree or whatever.
I'm going to go get the Coke Classic out of the fridge and put some nice smooth bourbon in it. No, wait-that is too close to the laundry room. Time for DH to man up again.

alabama
Jun. 29, 2012, 11:02 PM
Ummmm... How in the hell did it get in there???

I have possums. I hate them. I have a 10' 2x2 that I'll knock them off the porch with. They watch me coming and then...BOOM... off they go ten feet down. They don't like it much. ;)

ManyDogs
Jun. 29, 2012, 11:12 PM
We haven't a clue how it got in. At least 3 dogs are in the house just about all of the time. Don't know of any openings such as chimney, open window.
I don't think possums are cute. I think they're creepy. Blech. I'd drop kick it out of the house if I wasn't so disgusted.

alabama
Jun. 29, 2012, 11:16 PM
Don't go putting your limbs near them! I was trying to poke one off the back porch (two story drop) with a shorter poke stick and he bit the stick. I picked him up about 2' off the porch before he let go! Those teeth are deadly!

I'd just kill the damn things but they are always right up against the house when I see them. I'm not a bad shot but I really don't want to miss and shoot the house.

bits619
Jun. 29, 2012, 11:17 PM
Ooooh no thank you! I wouldn't have handled that very well! Thankfully all our dogs keep all but the most suicidal birds out of our yard. I've seen one squirrel and one snake in our 3 fenced in acres so far in 2.5 years. Certainly no vermin, not counting the Chihuahua fosters ;) of course a pack of 18 dogs brings about its own set of considerations (ha), but wildlife deterrant is a perk.

I remember being really little and seeing a possum destroy out trash bag on the porch right next to the screen door. All I saw were its claws and eyes and i will NEVER forget hauling a** to my parents in the basement, screaming. No thanks!

Alagirl
Jun. 29, 2012, 11:18 PM
roflmao!

read the OH SH*T IT'S ALIVE!!! :lol:

welcome to the club!

ManyDogs
Jun. 29, 2012, 11:30 PM
Well, let's see-we have a poodle, a yorkie poo, and and a hound/beagle mix in the house. Guess I should open the back door and let the Big Guns in-terrier, ACD, puggle (oh yes, she'd go for it) and a couple dachshunds. LOL
I'm hoping IT has waddled out the door and into the night, and I do hope I managed to close the dryer door before I hit warp speed exiting the laundry room.

bits619
Jun. 29, 2012, 11:33 PM
OK had to add this picture from bad rap pit rescue. Any guess on the name of the dog on the left?? Muuuch cuter mental image of a 'Possum' to me!!

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/248082_10150886447427399_63807786_n.jpg

dangerbunny
Jun. 29, 2012, 11:40 PM
oh! my husband just killed one when he went to shut the chickens up, it kicked broody hen off her nest and was going to eat the eggs. So glad he got it, possums freak me out.

Calvincrowe
Jun. 30, 2012, 12:22 AM
Oh...well...after you scream and run, you tug up your panties, arm yourself with gloves and go shoo it out the door. Mr. CC is also an Alaska boy (Juneau), but he's pretty handy with critters. I am a softy (thankfully, all the nasty diseases ya'll have on that side of the country..we don't!) and would just wait or shoo Mr. Possum on his way. I can't kill things. Even though I'm Catholic, Mr. CC insists that I'm a buddhist at heart;)

Remember, possums are terribly nearsighted and the open mouth hissing thing is their only defense really.

ManyDogs
Jun. 30, 2012, 12:24 AM
bits-yes, that sort of possum I can live with. What sweeties! Much much better mental image-thanks!

ManyDogs
Jun. 30, 2012, 12:26 AM
Ha ha Calvin tell your hubby I had the pleasure of landing at the Juneau airport once-I was on a milk run--Anchorage, Yakutat (sp?), Cordova, Juneau, Sitka.

Calvincrowe
Jun. 30, 2012, 12:35 AM
Mr. CC has only been back once since he left at age 24, following his graduation from UAJ (go Whales!). I would love to visit...but oh, those teeny planes scare me spitless! Juneau being what it is, it's a plane or boat to get out of town!

I hope your possum has a vacated the premises and your evening is once again peacefully free of our only marsupial.

Bravestrom
Jun. 30, 2012, 07:56 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned how dangerous they are to horses. If they poop on your hay and your hay is consumed by horses they can die.

They are shot on site at our farm and they are not indigenious to canada but have been migrating up here.

Calvincrowe
Jun. 30, 2012, 10:20 AM
Bravestorm--they are not the only vector for EPM transmission. Possums don't regularly go strolling through your barn, crapping on your hay...birds, on the other hand, do. You simply can't sanitize your horse's world, and killing everything that could, possibly, make your horse ill is unrealistic.

Tom King
Jun. 30, 2012, 11:32 AM
Just use a broom handle to encourage it out the door. It will hiss, and try to look menacing, but it will go the other way.

nashfad
Jun. 30, 2012, 01:05 PM
I hate possums! Nasty and creepy and mean and they carry EPM protozoa!! A dead possum is a dead possum IMO. Few yrs ago my Aussie Tuffy went after one and it had Tuffy by the nose (!) and I beat it with an umbrella to make it let go then tuffy got it.

Bravestrom
Jun. 30, 2012, 02:55 PM
Bravestorm--they are not the only vector for EPM transmission. Possums don't regularly go strolling through your barn, crapping on your hay...birds, on the other hand, do. You simply can't sanitize your horse's world, and killing everything that could, possibly, make your horse ill is unrealistic.

well - I never said they were the only thing - but if you like - I will trap them and send them to you.

Sonesta
Jul. 2, 2012, 07:42 PM
<ducking head in embarrassment>.......I think they are cute. We live and let live. But I'd shoo one out of the house.

Alagirl
Jul. 2, 2012, 08:01 PM
<ducking head in embarrassment>.......I think they are cute. We live and let live. But I'd shoo one out of the house.

LOL, cute in a way only a mother can appreciate....:winkgrin:

Saw a squished on on our street today, wondered if it was 'my' possum that scared the bejesus out of me a few weeks back....:(

ManyDogs
Jul. 2, 2012, 09:33 PM
OK, I blocked out the basement window (unfinished basement) where I thought possum was entering the house. Gaack! Saw it again last night in the house! Only now I'm getting PO'ed. DH had to contend with a fridge/freezer conking out today so we'll take care of THE POSSUM tomorrow.
Wondering if a townhouse/condo would allow dogs, cats, and horses in the miniscule back yard they all have. :-o

Alagirl
Jul. 2, 2012, 09:49 PM
OK, I blocked out the basement window (unfinished basement) where I thought possum was entering the house. Gaack! Saw it again last night in the house! Only now I'm getting PO'ed. DH had to contend with a fridge/freezer conking out today so we'll take care of THE POSSUM tomorrow.
Wondering if a townhouse/condo would allow dogs, cats, and horses in the miniscule back yard they all have. :-o

LOL, MANY dogs? :lol:

But there are possums in the city, too! :yes:

Frank B
Jul. 2, 2012, 10:07 PM
Check your dryer vent ASAP! If he came in that way he's ripped it from the dryer or torn up the hose, which could start a fire!

little_bay
Jul. 9, 2012, 04:55 AM
Usually I lurk, but I had to tell this story- so after resetting my password, I'm back... :D

My grandmother (99 next month!) has been in an assisted living facility for the last few years. Closer to the beginning of this year, my family began to clean out her house. When everything anyone wanted was gone, my older brother, anticipating intensive renovations to make it livable for his large family, began demo in the bathroom. He quickly realized how much time and work it was going to take to expand the very old and very tiny two bedroom house enough to accommodate six kids and abandoned the bathroom with a hole in the floor where the toilet had been. The house sat in that state of repair (or lack of it) for a month or two before I finally made it out to the house to pick through what was left at my dad's request, as he was worried that my refusing to even look for something I might want would result in a cherished childhood item being thrown out...

I made it out at around 11PM and began to check in dresser drawers and at the bottom of trash piles- don't laugh, I found a very nice professional portrait of my Grandmother that way that had never made it out of the studio's shipping sleeve. Eventually I made it into the kitchen and opened a drawer.

There, on top of Grandma's ice cream scoop, was a long pink tail and furry little foot.

I honestly thought it was a big rat. And I've had rats as pets, so I wasn't afraid- just leaned down talking to him, sort of like, "Well hi there little gu-... waaait a minute."

It was a baby possum, alive, totally unafraid and peering back at me from the back of the drawer. :lol:

I took a photo and texted it around to my brother and dad at 11:30PM with a forum-inappropriate caption (suffice to say there were plenty of Snakes On A Plane quotes over the next week). :winkgrin: We assume it came up through the hole in the bathroom floor to escape the property's many terrier-type dogs. It wouldn't have been hard to make it into a kitchen drawer from there, considering the shape of the cabinets, which are original to the house.

lolita1
Jul. 9, 2012, 06:50 AM
Sorry I feel so sad for your possums. In Aust they don't carry any deadly viruses so they are actually reasonably well liked except if in your roof or dancing on your roof at night and protected by law.

BTW I do understand as I know I would look at the poor little thing differently if I thought it was going to give my horse EPM but I don't kill the venomous snakes so ...

AKB
Jul. 9, 2012, 07:08 AM
My daughter rehabbed baby possums when she was in college. They are very shy and sweet. They can carry EPM but the one study I saw said that the presence of cats on a farm was linked to EPM far more frequently than opossums. While I guess I could decrease the chances of EPM by shooting all of the neighborhood cats, I am a believer in live and let live. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Some people like their cats as much as we liked our opossums.

lolita1
Jul. 10, 2012, 05:57 AM
I did see one snake that I would have loved to kill but it was such a big as in huge bad a*** snake that I was to frightened to go near it as it would have been miss and “bite” & hospital if I was lucky for me. Sadly here I would never help a bat as they carry a disease that is very close to rabies that is transferable from horses to people however I wouldn’t and don’t go around shooting them even if they were not protected.

JanM
Jul. 10, 2012, 07:13 AM
Actually, the basement window might be where it came in, but the possum or possums might be hiding in the basement or elsewhere in the house already.

Why do I suspect that after little_bay's story you are opening drawers and cabinets with a bat in hand, and a trusty hunting dog by your side?

And I second what Frank said about checking the dryer vents, including any part in the attic or other accessible areas.

the_other_mother
Jul. 10, 2012, 09:11 PM
Possum question! Do they have a distinct smell? Almost skunk like? I often smell an odd odor around the back of my house and cant figure out what it is. Kind of smells like a skunk but Im pretty sure it isnt. I have seen possum nearby and one walking down my driveway one night and Im wondering if that is what Im smelling. ???

ManyDogs
Jul. 11, 2012, 09:37 AM
I have't notice any odor int he house or on our property, even anything dogs were interested in. The Possum Problem is new to us this year. Let's hope it is past tense now.
Frank-dryer vent was checked and seems to be OK. Our dogs stay out back when we are gone (weather permitting) due to my fear (terror :eek:) of a house fire.
And yes, I flip on lights, look around a room, think I see shadowy things :D and have all sorts of precautions in the house now. Ack!

tarynls
Jul. 11, 2012, 10:10 AM
Possum question! Do they have a distinct smell? Almost skunk like? I often smell an odd odor around the back of my house and cant figure out what it is. Kind of smells like a skunk but Im pretty sure it isnt. I have seen possum nearby and one walking down my driveway one night and Im wondering if that is what Im smelling. ???

I found a possum in a Havahart trap in the barn - the possum himself didn't smell, but his (her?) feces/urine sure did! Sort of a musky-type of smell, not a skunk-like smell.

birdsong
Jul. 11, 2012, 10:29 AM
Well I agree with Live and Let Live! I don't mind them at all....
My hay is in a storage building away from the house...They prefer being closer to the house where they can get mangoes and cat food anyway.
We had a semi-pet one for years.

No need for hysteria over wildlife..that includes snakes too by the way!

Tom King
Jul. 11, 2012, 07:04 PM

That's fox urine.

GraceLikeRain
Jul. 11, 2012, 10:42 PM
I'm not one to kill things (bugs bigger than a nickel get a free trip back outside). That being said, I would have lost my mind if I found a possum inside. Watching one cross the road at night is enough to make the hairs on my arm stand up. They are number one on my gross out list.

Good luck OP! I hope y'all can safely relocate mr vile thing before a dog finds him.

Sempiternal
Jul. 11, 2012, 11:32 PM
A friend of the family has this fancy dog door that opens when one of her dogs is infront of it (via a device on the collar). Well her younger dog seems to have a thing for possums and likes to bring them into the house and slobber on them and then leave it somewhere (like her bedroom!).

It's happened more than a few times this summer and she's getting pretty annoyed, but really likes the convenience of the fancy dog door.

birdsong
Jul. 11, 2012, 11:37 PM
A friend of the family has this fancy dog door that opens when one of her dogs is infront of it (via a device on the collar). Well her younger dog seems to have a thing for possums and likes to bring them into the house and slobber on them and then leave it somewhere (like her bedroom!).

It's happened more than a few times this summer and she's getting pretty annoyed, but really likes the convenience of the fancy dog door.

HaHa love it!! Mine was just a regular pet door in the screen enclosure over the pool area...I eventually blocked it off after the raccoons became too obnoxious nightly!!!

Don't even get me started on the skunk story...the french doors into my bedroom were near the doggy door!!

My son ended up sleeping with the little beggar before it was over....EEEEEEKKKK

Sonesta
Jul. 12, 2012, 10:56 AM
HaHa love it!! Mine was just a regular pet door in the screen enclosure over the pool area...I eventually blocked it off after the raccoons became too obnoxious nightly!!!

Don't even get me started on the skunk story...the french doors into my bedroom were near the doggy door!!

My son ended up sleeping with the little beggar before it was over....EEEEEEKKKK

Now that's funny!

the_other_mother
Jul. 13, 2012, 07:26 PM
Nope, not fox urine. I'd recognize that from living next to a chicken farm growing up, lots of fox around.

That's fox urine.