View Full Version : 1 doe and 3 fawns?

Jun. 29, 2012, 10:34 PM
Anyone else see this? I'm used to seeing a lot of twins with the does but I've never seen triples. My initial guess is that one is an orphan and the doe is allowing it to join her twins.

Any thoughts? Misty Blue-any thoughts?

Jun. 29, 2012, 10:53 PM
If feed is plentiful, the odd one will have a litter.....er triplets. Not commong but certainly not unheard of either

Jun. 29, 2012, 11:03 PM
Our property has plenty of deer, as it has several nice streams, wooded areas, and hay fields-and we don't allow hunting. There is one doe that I see quite a bit, who I call "Ears". Of course, all whitetails have big ears, but hers are ginormous:eek:! She is also very big for a doe, she has a massive chest and body, like a mature buck.

For two years running, she's had triplets, and both times, one is noticeably smaller than the other two. She only had twins this year....And that's OK, because there are plenty of other deer around here!

Jun. 30, 2012, 09:04 AM
Well, food has been very plentiful with a mild winter and early spring. Much as I love to see the deer, I really wish the does would just have a single fawn or be barren for a yr or so.

We have way too many deer around. I listen to a morning radio station that has the traffic update every 15 minutes and lately most mornings he reports at least 2 deer struck accidents. Come mating season, about every day there is at least one dead deer on the road in front of my farm. :(

I gave a bow hunter permission to put up a deer stand and hunt on my property because of the deer. Now don't get me wrong, I've named the deer. Jane (doe obviously) usually has a single fawn whereas Janie usually has twins. Then there's Bucky and what a rack he has. :yes: My bow hunter has been trying to get him for yrs and I keep telling him to please take out a couple of does. I'd rather see them leaving the farm on the top of his van than having the highway dept come and pick up the carcasses.

Frank B
Jun. 30, 2012, 09:35 AM
This month's issue of Whitetails Unlimited had a picture article of two does sharing three fawns. One photo showed the three nursing a very non-plussed doe.

Jun. 30, 2012, 11:21 AM
"My" girls have twins. But last year, the hbc crooked- legged doe's twins had grown to where their spots were fading, and one morning there was a little bitty youngster with them! We called him the foster child as crooked-legged mom took care of him as well.

Jun. 30, 2012, 11:43 AM
Last night, a friend told me that she had seen a doe with triplets near her apartment. Her apartment has woodsey areas nearby but so is a major shopping center area. It's unusual to see a deer, let alone one with three babies trailing after her!

Jun. 30, 2012, 06:40 PM
We've had triplets here every year for about 10 years. None yet this year. The big doe, mother of the trips, hasn't shown her face here this spring.....:-(

Jun. 30, 2012, 09:17 PM
Same here we have a doe who has triplets every year and this year no sign of her...

Jul. 3, 2012, 11:54 AM
I was bringing the dog back to the house and looked up when she stopped and looked toward the hedgerow. There I saw the butt end of a doe going through the hedgerow and 4, yes 4 fawns looking back at me and the dog.

Now I do realize that another doe COULD have gone into the hedgerow before I looked over and therefore 2 does with the 4 fawns. I also wonder if I don't have a 'super momma doe' that is taking in all the orphans. Bless her if that's the case.

I think the fawns thought my dog was another fawn as she is colored similarly. I call the dog pumpkin cause she's pumpkin colored, blonde to orange. :)

Jul. 4, 2012, 09:08 PM
Yes - it does happen. Last year we had a doe here with a HUGE belly, & a couple of days later she appeared with 3 little fawns - one smaller than the other two.

Jul. 4, 2012, 09:17 PM
I have a picture of a doe with triplets. Of course now I have to go find it...........

Jul. 5, 2012, 02:28 PM
Yep, it happens for all the reasons others have said... We get LOTS of deer in the back pasture and there was a doe last year who did indeed have triplets. All three very healthy and growing like crazy!

Jul. 6, 2012, 08:54 PM
Saw all 4 fawns again this evening playing in my outdoor ring. It's almost as though their mother(s?) put them in the indoor like humans would a playpen. :) One seemed intent on munching on the daylilies, or at least exploring that area. This time no sign of any adult does and one of the fawns was quite small compared the rest. Two were significantly larger as well.

I have a feeling I'm going to be seeing a lot more of them through the summer. They really are darling. :D