PDA

View Full Version : Colorado fires

retreadeventer
Jun. 29, 2012, 07:08 PM
Has anyone heard any news from horse or event friends in that neck of the woods? Are all ok?

Gnep
Jun. 29, 2012, 07:57 PM
I have not heard from anybody.
My neck of the woods has been burning since over a week.
All our slurry bombers were diverted to C. Springs.
For the next 10 days we have every day dry lightning warnings,100 F today, 8weeks no rain, ain't a pretty sight.

wishnwell
Jun. 29, 2012, 08:27 PM
There is this discussion on "Off Course" going on.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356785

retreadeventer
Jun. 29, 2012, 09:22 PM
Has anyone heard from Reed?

RAyers
Jun. 29, 2012, 09:32 PM
Oh, I am here. After the initial frustration and panic of the Flagstaff Fire:

View from the roof of my house/barn of one of the slurry bombers Gnep needs:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150977994607622&set=a.10150977994402622.445889.624807621&type=1&theater

things settled down. The fire went north and west rather than south and east (then things would have been frosty).

In the meantime, Gnep, has the Weber Fire to worry about. We have our escape plans in place and I am doing a bit of fire mitigation around the farm.

IFG
Jun. 29, 2012, 09:49 PM
Glad to hear that Reed and Gnep are OK. So sorry for those who have lost property, pets, and those who have died.

Very tragic and scary.

Desert Topaz
Jun. 29, 2012, 11:09 PM
Gnep, it rained here (south of Hesperus) Weds evening. I have never been so happy to do horse chores in the rain. Not enough to make much of a difference, but it cooled things down. Now it's hot again of course.

I could see the glow from the Weber Fire over the ridge, but fortunately am just far enough away that it would have needed to get historically large to get here. I'm more worried about new fires.

As far as I know all the Colorado event venues are fine.

RedxHandedxJill
Jun. 29, 2012, 11:29 PM
Up in Northern Colorado we're still very dry and smokey. But all the horses are okay :)

BEARCAT
Jun. 29, 2012, 11:45 PM
5 day time lapse of the Waldo Canyon fire

http://youtu.be/ZBA7eHY022k

BaroquePony
Jun. 30, 2012, 12:08 AM
Wow. That is stunning footage BEARCAT.

Very scarey indeed.

ksbadger
Jun. 30, 2012, 01:01 AM
Incredible video! Understand Canada will be sending some of their firefighting aircraft - waterbombers like these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMDc5YxqlHY
Hope everyone keeps safe both around CS and up near Boulder.

retreadeventer
Jun. 30, 2012, 08:07 AM
Wow. Epic video.

Kairoshorses
Jun. 30, 2012, 08:48 AM
I agree, EPIC video. SO many fires. I'm hoping and praying everyone stays safe.

Gnep
Jun. 30, 2012, 09:18 AM
The biggest problem will be the dry lightning in the next week or so.
Everyday we had the Thunderheads built up, we had several new fires.

Yesterday the wind blew quiet nicely, good day for sailing on McPhee, Weber had a nice little flare up and combined with the back burning put a decent amount of smoke out.
All tree that have to go are marked, 10,000 gallons stored, Tank on the truck allways full, pump installed with water canon, chainsaws ready, generators at the pumphouses, all weeds wacked.
We need our slurries back, rain and no lightning.

Its going to be 100 again today.

Hawks Nest
Jun. 30, 2012, 10:09 AM
I have a friend in Douglas County just an hour north of colorado springs and she has been sending me updates on the fires, including pictures of her skyline. Very scary. She lives and works on a breeding farm and they have been monitoring the fires and the evac orders, especially once they started to extend up into douglas county.

Halfbroke
Jun. 30, 2012, 07:44 PM
I'm in Colorado Springs and things have calmed down here a bit.. fire is now 30% contained, 346 houses lost, most evacutations lifted and 2 confirmed dead. We have not heard about any animal deaths (except, sadly, of course for the wildlife)

It was an insane week- watching the fires come down over ridge into the city was terrifying. Luckily my horse is east of Colorado Springs so we didn't have to evacuate the horses, but still very scary and way too close for comfort

retreadeventer
Jun. 30, 2012, 08:14 PM
The biggest problem will be the dry lightning in the next week or so.
Everyday we had the Thunderheads built up, we had several new fires.

Yesterday the wind blew quiet nicely, good day for sailing on McPhee, Weber had a nice little flare up and combined with the back burning put a decent amount of smoke out.
All tree that have to go are marked, 10,000 gallons stored, Tank on the truck allways full, pump installed with water canon, chainsaws ready, generators at the pumphouses, all weeds wacked.
We need our slurries back, rain and no lightning.

Its going to be 100 again today.

thank goodness we've heard from you, Gnep! As always -- sounds like you are prepared. If I were your wife I'd have the pies and cookies baked, suitcases packed, good jewelry on, important papers in the car, have lots of food made and be cooking the roasts in the freezer in case the electric went out and the generators were needed at the pumphouses! like a good fraulein :)

JP60
Jul. 1, 2012, 09:32 AM
That vedeo was truly amazing, the side show was watching the cloud formations, wind shifts, and the stars.

After reading gnep's posts (and those from round CO, I will be thankful that I only have to deal with 100+ heat and three horses. My prayers and good wishes to all in CO effected by the fires. Please be safe.

Auburn
Jul. 1, 2012, 11:09 AM
I am so saddened by the loss to so many folks out West.

We are very dry here, too, with temps in the 100's and upper 90's. Two days ago, we had a dry front go through with 60 mph wind gusts, lightening and no rain. Fortunately, we did not have any fires started from it. After reading about your fires, I was concerned that we might be fighting some here, too.

You folks are in my prayers and I am jingling for some cooler temps, rain and fire containment. I feel for those poor fire fighters, who must be exhausted.

So many folks do not have a fire evacuation plan ready. It is something that every barn should have available and preferably posted.

Gnep and Reed, please keep letting us know that you are OK?

Gnep
Jul. 1, 2012, 12:08 PM
thank goodness we've heard from you, Gnep! As always -- sounds like you are prepared. If I were your wife I'd have the pies and cookies baked, suitcases packed, good jewelry on, important papers in the car, have lots of food made and be cooking the roasts in the freezer in case the electric went out and the generators were needed at the pumphouses! like a good fraulein :)

I made sure that the generator for the house can run the pump and the fridge at the same time. Can't let that beer get worm..

This is the 3rd time since I live on Granat Messa, that we have a drought like this.
It is not jet as bad as in the 1999-2003 drought. I just have to many horses up here, loading and geting them out would just take to much time and in the end as dangerous as staying.
Since I can't run I prepare.
In 2000 my house was the drop point for the slurries and that lovely horses of mine, with the nice kick, was born during that fire, hence her name, Wildfire.

phoebetrainer
Jul. 2, 2012, 03:24 AM
I've just seen some photos - its really weird to see houses burnt to the ground next to houses untouched. Patches of green surrounded by burnt houses, plants etc.

RAyers
Jul. 2, 2012, 08:34 AM
For those who know upper lever rider Christian Eagles who lives in Laramie, WY, they had to evacuate everything yesterday. Their neighbor's farm has already burned it seems.

Reed

Gnep
Jul. 2, 2012, 05:42 PM
That sucks Reed, I cross my finger and toes for her, she is a rather nice Lady

Sebastian
Jul. 2, 2012, 05:59 PM
For those who know upper lever rider Christian Eagles who lives in Laramie, WY, they had to evacuate everything yesterday. Their neighbor's farm has already burned it seems.

Reed

Saw that on FB, have all fingers and toes crossed for her to be unscathed.

Seb :)

ACMEeventing
Jul. 2, 2012, 07:34 PM
5 day time lapse of the Waldo Canyon fire

http://youtu.be/ZBA7eHY022k

Oh my gosh, unbelievable footage. I am so sorry for everyone struggling with these fires.

Gnep and RAyers - prayers and crossed fingers for your continued safety.

Coyoteco
Jul. 5, 2012, 11:14 AM
I hope her farm and animals are OK. I missed this thread and didn't realize that she was in a danger zone likethat.