PDA

View Full Version : Updated post 1* Berney Bros Saddles, Anyone have one? Opinions?

Mtn trails
Jun. 29, 2012, 04:27 PM
I've got a line on a used BB saddle in very good shape at a very good price. I did a search and found a thread from years ago and most opinions were favorable. I'm not sure of the model of the one I'm looking at, fairly forward flaps and the ad says eventing saddle so draw your own conclusions.

Anyone have one? Likes? Dislikes? I've tried a BB on my mare before and it fit her very well so hoping this will be good too. My current saddle fits okay, not great, just okay.

Update- Rode mare in it yesterday at a XC schooling and love it! I felt very secure and stable and it fits mare to a "T". It definitely isn't the most comfortable saddle as mentioned but who cares. Time to put the Toulouse on the market.

Beam Me Up
Jun. 29, 2012, 04:54 PM
I have 2! Both Dublin Jumpers (maybe what you have--forward flaps, longish flattish seat).

I like the forward flaps, great for xc length, and I like the overall balance (it doesn't force you in position with blocks, etc.) They are also priced very reasonably.

The only real negative I can think of is that the seat is very hard. They also, IME, run narrow in the tree.

Beau's mom
Jun. 29, 2012, 04:59 PM
I have one. Use it to hunt in. Love it. The county rep reflocked it for me.

pook
Jun. 29, 2012, 05:03 PM
Rode in them while I was foxhunting in Ireland and glad I did !

scubed
Jun. 29, 2012, 05:12 PM
evented for several years in one, including a couple of long format CCI*. Really liked it, though now when I sit in them, I find them a little hard in comparison to my current saddle, but I think they can't be beat for the price. Make sure it is a model with a wide enough spine channel. Some of the really old ones are a bit tight.

yellowbritches
Jun. 29, 2012, 05:12 PM
I have loved every one (especially my old one...I died a little when it bit the dust), with the exception of the one I currently have. They are well balanced and tough as nails. My old boss said you will lose interest in your Berney Bros long before it is worn out (with the exception, of course, of my dearly departed one :mad:). The one I have right now is supposed to be a prototype monoflap that was as forward as my old one (a TW- very similar to the Dublin Jumper but a little less knee roll/block). Well, it is pretty much exactly like the Olympic (I think that's what the monoflap is called, but don't quote me), which I have always hated. This one is OK, but has just never felt 100% right to me. Every other one I have ridden in (lots of DJs and TWs and whatever they call the less forward show jumping one) have been GREAT.

yellowbritches
Jun. 29, 2012, 05:14 PM
Ahh, yes. Scubed reminded me of something. They are not soft and squishy like the trendier saddles. The leather is tough as nails and they aren't exactly squishy on your tush. My butt definitely gets a little tired on long hacks or if sitting around a lot (ala jumper shows). Just know that going into them. If you are all about soft, French leather and squishy, cushy seats, you will not like it at all. My argument for this complaint is that they are CROSS COUNTRY saddles. They are meant for galloping and hunting and jumping at speed. Your butt really is meant to spend a lot of time in it!!! :lol:

FlightCheck
Jun. 29, 2012, 05:22 PM
Love my DJ, but like others have written, it isn't a "soft and squishy" saddle.

It is, however a RockStarSaddle with the forward knee rolls for jumping down banks or over something into water, etc.

Mtn trails
Jun. 29, 2012, 05:31 PM
Ahh, yes. Scubed reminded me of something. They are not soft and squishy like the trendier saddles. The leather is tough as nails and they aren't exactly squishy on your tush. My butt definitely gets a little tired on long hacks or if sitting around a lot (ala jumper shows). Just know that going into them. If you are all about soft, French leather and squishy, cushy seats, you will not like it at all. My argument for this complaint is that they are CROSS COUNTRY saddles. They are meant for galloping and hunting and jumping at speed. Your butt really is meant to spend a lot of time in it!!! :lol:

Butt comfort is not at the top of the list as far as requirements. I don't plan to spend a lot of time on my butt as it's going to be used for all jumping activities including cross country. Plus, I've got a fair amount of "padding" of my own. :)

rthonor
Jun. 29, 2012, 06:41 PM
My friend just got one last week and he loves it. The price was great and the customer service was excellent. He got the Dublin jumper.

deltawave
Jun. 29, 2012, 06:47 PM
Hard as a rock, flat as a board, nicely forward and kept my feet slightly on the dashboard, which I love. Rode Gwen in one the whole time I had her, and sadly sold it when I realized it wouldn't fit anyone else. :sigh:

If they made a wide gullet, wide tree I would seriously buy another one in a heartbeat. But I am not looking for any more saddles, thankyouverymuch! :lol:

It's very much a preference thing, but I adored mine. :yes:

IFG
Jun. 29, 2012, 07:43 PM
I had a Tom Waters. On my horse, it put me in a chair seat, but maybe it just didn't work on him. It was nicely made, and I sold it for about what I had paid. So, if you can get it for a reasonable price, you can probably re-sell it for about what you pay.

tle
Jun. 29, 2012, 08:08 PM
Have had a Dublin Jumper for over 10 years now. LOVE It!!

cindywilson
Jun. 29, 2012, 09:20 PM
I have one - don't know the model - I bought from a friend for $100. It does have a narrow tree, which I like as I've used it to start OTTBs & lots of them could go thru the eye of a needle. It's not very soft, but it wears like iron and keeps you pretty safe. I like it a lot, but it doesn't fit the horse I'm showing now.

Dale Area 1
Jun. 29, 2012, 09:29 PM
Learned about Berney Bros on this very BB a few years back. Had one custom made for my horse, got it in about 4 weeks. That is faster than any Dover order LOL! Great to work with, sent pictures, tracings, measurements, etc. Fits perfect. Price wasn't too bad either at the time.

vineyridge
Jun. 29, 2012, 11:04 PM
Berney Bros contact information again, please. :) How can you do better than a custom made saddle for less than 1500 that is actually made in Ireland and well loved by so many event riders?

I'd like to order one for me. Suggest a model. TB with withers, compact build, and has been out of work for quite a while. Araby looking build. I'm long in the femur but short in the leg. I also have a huge butt. Looking for a XC saddle primarily. Loved the balance of a Roxane S, which put me in the "right" position.

Here's the horse:

Creaghgal
Jun. 29, 2012, 11:20 PM
I've spent 99.9% of my riding life in a Berney. Currently, I have both the GP & Dressage saddles.

Fab quality, fair price, matches well with my Bartville bridle & breastplate.
All my tack is “workman” like! Made to last in all weather, year in year out. :yes:

Long Shadow Farm
Jun. 30, 2012, 10:24 AM
I have a wide tree International that I have jumped in for over 10 years now. If something ever happened to this saddle, I would just roll over and die!! I also got a wide tree dressage saddle made by BB. Love it........ it's like butt chocolate. Doesn't have all the bric-brac alot of dressage saddles have but I like that as I need to be able to move more in it. One of these days, if I find the right one, I am going to buy the close contact model for stadium jumping as my International gets alittle deep at times if jumping over like 3'6". Also I have found that with the wide tree saddle, if I am riding someone who needs something alittle narrower, I can just add a half pad or a shim and it fits great. I loooooooovvvvveeee these saddles!!!!

Bobbi

Aussie08
Jun. 30, 2012, 11:50 AM
I have an all purpose that I've ridden in for some time, both stadium and CC and I love this saddle. Everyone is right, it has a 'firm' seat but that never worried me and since I got it for a 'song' on ebay several years ago and it actually fit my hard to fit TB....well... bonus.

I would seriously consider, when the time is right, ordering a custom from them. Both Dressage and a non-all purpose jumping model.

Maybe you could find someone in your area that has one you could try or sit/ride in.

Dale Area 1
Jun. 30, 2012, 05:52 PM
http://www.berneybrossaddles.com

When I purchased mine, we did everything by e-mail. They were Awesome!

Another saddle I love for dressage is the Spirig. Found mine on E-Bay, fit my young horse like a glove. Doesn't fit the horse I am leasing now :(
http://www.pelham-saddlery.com/saddles/Used12975.html

Hilary
Jun. 30, 2012, 06:23 PM
A friend of mine has one for her muttonwithered wide mare and she got it custom for a good price several years ago. However, "hard" does not begin to describe the torture it is for me to ride in the thing. It feels like sitting on a bowling ball. It's hard and it has to have the widest twist I have ever sat on. Now, the mare is wide, so it may have something to do with it, but it is one seriously uncomfortable saddle. My friend prefers a fairly wide twist (I do not) and she also thinks its not very comfortable. I do not remember the model she got but jumping/all purpose.

My Ainsley Chester and Roosli dressage saddles also fall into the "hard" category - but the shape is comfortable so the hardness is less of a problem.

Heels_Down
Jul. 1, 2012, 06:12 PM
I have The Prix (http://www.berneybrossaddles.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_69&product_id=54), which seems more rare than some of the other models. I love it.

I previously rode in a Pessoa A/O (from back when they were made in France), and I don't find the Berney Bros to be much harder than the A/o, but it does have wider twist, which took some getting used to. It is super secure - I didn't even realize how insecure I was in the A/O until I started trying different saddles.

The BB fits my new horse perfect, so that was the main reason I bought it. He's so happy and moves 100x better than in the A/O, which we had padded up in order to make it work until we found something that fit him, but still wasn't perfect.

The best part for me is that I paid just $400 for the BB, which was about $1000 less than I was willing to spend - major, major plus in my book!

yellowbritches
Jul. 1, 2012, 06:24 PM
I love the Prix! It is definitely a bit more show jumpy than xc, but a great saddle, nonetheless. I have ridden many a xc course in a Prix. :yes:

*Trinity*
Jul. 1, 2012, 07:45 PM
Looks like I may be the first to give a bad report. I ordered a Dublin Jumper new in 2005-ish. Sent tracings, measurements, etc. They sent me a saddle that I'm SURE was off the rack. I ordered a 17", they sent an 18" that didn't even come close to fitting my horse. If you could have made a saddle that was opposite fit, this would be it. It also had a slice on the leather seat (and no, not from us opening the box - we were very careful). We sent it back and double checked all tracings/measurements. They sent us another saddle that was 17", but again didn't fit very well. Because I initially liked the saddle, we gave up and had it reflocked. The guy who did it told us that it was the worst quality wool he's come across.

When I moved up to Prelim, I was having a heck of a time balancing myself at a gallop and good luck trying to hold a position through a grid. When I started looking for a new saddle, my mom compared the saddle to their online photos discovered that it actually looked more like another model. We complained and sent it back. They were very good to us, took it back, and resold it quickly.

The saddle DID have incredible leather. I have yet to see another saddle that had such durable, yet soft leather. However, the company messed up big time, several times in a row, and the saddle just wasn't well balanced.

RacetrackReject
Jul. 2, 2012, 10:19 AM
I have a BB monoflap that I really like and it fits the TB boys well. I'm not sure how old it since I bought it used but it looks practically brand new. I have heard many times that the flocking is crud in BBs, but until my horses say they don't like and it needs to be reflocked, it's working just fine for us.

Mtn trails
Jul. 2, 2012, 11:58 AM
I went ahead and bought it and am awaiting shipment. Can't wait to get it and try it on my girl. Husband will probably want to shoot me as I have 4 saddles and one horse, 5 if you count my western. I bought it on ebay and for some reason, the seller had it under Pet Supplies instead of Equestrian, which I found odd and probably why I was the only bidder.