PDA

View Full Version : TSC Crappy Crappy Fans

SLR
Jun. 28, 2012, 07:26 PM
With the predicted heat of 104 degrees today, I bought 2 fans at TSC. They are beyond crappy. I have purchased their sealed motor fans before for the barn and have been quite satisfied. I liked the fact that they were heavy duty and made for barn applications. The new ones are very cheaply made, the motors are not vented, and when we took down the one we had running for a few hours in order to change the position, the motor was burning HOT:mad: Really can't see how that would be safe. Back they go!! Please be careful.

SLR
Jun. 28, 2012, 07:33 PM
These are the County Line brand. The wall mounted fan has a pull cord to turn it on.

LauraKY
Jun. 28, 2012, 07:54 PM
I'm glad I bought mine a couple of years ago. Maybe order from Graingers?

tangledweb
Jun. 28, 2012, 08:43 PM
Not that I doubt they are generally crappy, but how can a sealed motor also be vented?

DiablosHalo
Jun. 28, 2012, 09:45 PM
I just got the high velocity 20" metal circle fans from walmart. $46. They push a lot of air through the stalls.

LookmaNohands
Jun. 28, 2012, 11:51 PM
Has anyone tried any fans from Farmtek? They have some that look interesting.

Fans scare me

Bloody hot here though!

KrazyTBMare
Jun. 29, 2012, 12:00 AM
I have 3 of the 20" fans from Home Depot - $45 each. Its like a cyclone in there! LOVE them.

trubandloki
Jun. 29, 2012, 07:33 AM
Not that I doubt they are generally crappy, but how can a sealed motor also be vented?

I was wondering that myself.

My sealed motor fans are not vented.

HydroPHILE
Jun. 29, 2012, 07:36 AM
We get all of our fans and farm supplies through Harbor Freight. They are exponentially less expensive than TSC and better quality.

SLR
Jun. 29, 2012, 08:03 AM
I misspoke or miswrote, or whatever. They have the motor enclosed, but with vents. They are not waterproof. But seriously, that's what you took away from my warning? And yes, I would normally order from a place like Farmtec or other. I was in a hurry. Sorry.

trubandloki
Jun. 29, 2012, 08:53 AM
Well yes, because the thing you complained about is not accurate.

If it has vents it is not a sealed motor. And you want a sealed motor in the barn. Getting dust and debris into the motor in the quantity that you find in a barn can cause the motor to over heat. All of tractor supplies fans are not a sealed motor.

I do think this is a good warning for people to make sure they pay attention to what they buy for their barn fans.

I found a good deal on a large floor fan at Lowes once.

pds
Jun. 29, 2012, 09:25 AM
Is this the fan from TSC you talking about?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/countyline-reg-omni-directional-floor-fan-20-in--3240853#BVRRWidgetID

I have several that I bought earlier this year for stall fans and have pleased with them. They are really going to get a workout from today on through the weekend. Temps are suposed to be in excess of 102f every day.:eek:

SLR
Jun. 29, 2012, 09:46 AM
Is this the fan from TSC you talking about?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/countyline-reg-omni-directional-floor-fan-20-in--3240853#BVRRWidgetID

I have several that I bought earlier this year for stall fans and have pleased with them. They are really going to get a workout from today on through the weekend. Temps are suposed to be in excess of 102f every day.:eek:

Yes that is the one. Also the wall mounted one.

And Trubandloki what I complained about was not the sealed or vented part, think I retracted that, but that the fan motor was so hot you could not touch it for more than a few seconds as in grill hot. Take it as you will.

pds
Jun. 29, 2012, 10:58 AM
Yikes. I'm going to check mine this eve. when I get home.

o0rxkxrox0o
Jun. 29, 2012, 11:43 AM
Yes that is the one. Also the wall mounted one.

And Trubandloki what I complained about was not the sealed or vented part, think I retracted that, but that the fan motor was so hot you could not touch it for more than a few seconds as in grill hot. Take it as you will.

I think Trubandloki's point was that a fan with vents in the motor can get dust and debris in the motor, thus making it run hot, which may be why yours are running hot.

I don't think they were trying to start an argument, I think that they were trying to give relevant information about fan motors. At least I found it relevant, I didn't know that about fans. My barn doesn't have electricity so I'll be heading over there in the afternoon to do some hosing down of horses.

hosspuller
Jun. 29, 2012, 12:13 PM
With the predicted heat of 104 degrees today, I bought 2 fans at TSC. They are beyond crappy. I have purchased their sealed motor fans before for the barn and have been quite satisfied. I liked the fact that they were heavy duty and made for barn applications. The new ones are very cheaply made, the motors are not vented, and when we took down the one we had running for a few hours in order to change the position, the motor was burning HOT:mad: Really can't see how that would be safe. Back they go!! Please be careful.

Just a bit of info .. Small motors are not very energy effective. So they run hot. Insulation systems for motors are capable of much higher temps than past. Motors can be too hot to hold in a bare hand, but normal.

See here >> http://www.motorsanddrives.com/cowern/motorterms4.html

Keeping hay and dust off the motor is always a good practice. The cooler a motor runs the longer its life.

tallyho392
Jun. 29, 2012, 12:21 PM
yikes, i just bought 2 of those wall mounted ones last week, only have one up and going............better check it.......
BUT for those of you who are saying fns from wlamart and home depot................these are not enclosed motors are they?........i thought only the enclosd ones were safe to use in the barn...................

Beam Me Up
Jun. 29, 2012, 12:26 PM
I bought enclosed motor fans from Home Depot last year:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202351117/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=enclosed+motor+fan&storeId=10051

So far they are great. But I agree the majority of fans at places like Walmart/Home Depot are not, unlike the Ag stores.

SLR
Jun. 29, 2012, 12:28 PM
The NEW ones, CountyLine brand are totally enclosed motors. I mistakenly called them sealed. Sorry. I Assumed incorrectly that the reason they were so hot was because they were not vented. The old ones have vents in the back. My OLD ones are cleaned regularly, thank you very much.The NEW ones CountyLine brand are VERY hot to the touch after having run a few hours. Thank you hosspuller for saying that is normal, but I'm not gonna use them. I also Assumed that others would think they were safe to use in barn applications. Maybe they are. It scared me to feel how hot they were. Just wanted to give a heads up. :rolleyes:

spacehorse
Jun. 29, 2012, 12:48 PM
Just as I was going to pick one of the TSC fans up on the way home! :eek:

Poor horse standing in his stall sweating needs something to replace the one I checked last night after running for 5 minutes and the motor was HOT! Freaked me out, a lot!

trubandloki
Jun. 29, 2012, 02:21 PM
I think Trubandloki's point was that a fan with vents in the motor can get dust and debris in the motor, thus making it run hot, which may be why yours are running hot.

I don't think they were trying to start an argument, I think that they were trying to give relevant information about fan motors. At least I found it relevant, I didn't know that about fans.
You are correct. Thank you.
Simply trying to clarify. (I gave up when it was clear the OP would rather get angry than anything else.)

BUT for those of you who are saying fns from wlamart and home depot................these are not enclosed motors are they?........i thought only the enclosd ones were safe to use in the barn...................

The fan I bought at Lowes is very similar to what Beam Me Up linked to. It is totally enclosed motor. It is for indoor or outdoor use. I was shocked to find it there and the price was very reasonable. I bought it many years ago so I do not know if they still carry this fan.

clanter
Jun. 30, 2012, 08:45 AM

the motor would be a "TEFC"... totally enclosed fan cooled; we use this style motor on many high cycle industrial operators

What is important is "duty cyle rating" for any thing that is expected to run all the time you need 100% duty cycle or it may be stated as "Continuous Duty"

clanter
Jun. 30, 2012, 08:50 AM
I misspoke or miswrote, or whatever. They have the motor enclosed, but with vents. They are not waterproof. But seriously, that's what you took away from my warning? And yes, I would normally order from a place like Farmtec or other. I was in a hurry. Sorry.

NEMA 4 is rated for direct spray .... NEMA 3R is damp environment... NEMA 7 & 9 are explosion proof ratings which should be used in grain elevators or areas of fine explosive dust

clanter
Jun. 30, 2012, 08:59 AM
any complants regarding a "Countyline" products needs to go back to TSC as they own the trademark

COUNTYLINE | US Trademark No.85258173 by Tractor Supply Co.

if you receive less than satisfactory results contact the Consumer Protection Agency

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

Trevelyan96
Jul. 2, 2012, 05:55 PM
Nice to know I didn't make a mistake in buying the more expensive ones from FarmTek. I was kicking myself when I saw the price of the Tractor Supply ones at the store last week.

BarnField
Jul. 3, 2012, 03:21 PM
I just received my DuraFan that I ordered online from QC Supply.
I have never ordered from there before, but other COTHers recommended it.
I have been happy with the quality, nice fan. Sealed motor.
Super easy to install.
$80 for the 14 inch fan:

http://www.qcsupply.com/commercial-industrial/fans-ventilation-controls/basket-fans/durafan-indoor-outdoor-high-velocity-wall-mount-fan-non-oscillating.html

the_other_mother
Jul. 3, 2012, 09:17 PM
I have the wall/ceiling mount fans from Farmtek. Motor is completely sealed, and they are really nice. Previously used high velocity floor fans (commercial grade) which were also nice but the motor wasnt sealed and although they did move alot of air, it blew shavings around and the horses didnt rally appreciate having all that air blowing around. I should add that the Farmtek fans *are* hot to the touch and it concerns me alot. Grumble Grumble!!

Has anyone tried any fans from Farmtek? They have some that look interesting.

Fans scare me

Bloody hot here though!

tasia
Jul. 5, 2012, 12:50 PM
I just received my DuraFan that I ordered online from QC Supply.
I have never ordered from there before, but other COTHers recommended it.
I have been happy with the quality, nice fan. Sealed motor.
Super easy to install.
$80 for the 14 inch fan:

http://www.qcsupply.com/commercial-industrial/fans-ventilation-controls/basket-fans/durafan-indoor-outdoor-high-velocity-wall-mount-fan-non-oscillating.html

Love my Durafans!! I just ordered another one!! http://www.qcsupply.com/commercial-industrial/fans-ventilation-controls/basket-fans/durafan-indoor-outdoor-high-velocity-wall-mount-fan-non-oscillating.html

I have both the 14 and 18. The 14 doesn't seem to be quite enough in my barn, so everyone now has the 18 inch. I sweat in the barn but the horses don't :lol:

baylady7
Jul. 5, 2012, 01:33 PM
Does anyone have their fans rigged to a solar panel for a run in shed that has no power?

7HL
Jul. 5, 2012, 01:49 PM

So why did you buy them? What did you expect for "cheap" fans?

quarterhorse4me
Jul. 17, 2012, 10:06 PM
I purchased a TSC drum fan for $199 in may. It has already partially given out as it only operates at the low speed now. I am pretty disappointed but will swing by TSC to see if they will replace as it is barely two months old. Aside from it giving out I was pretty happy with it.

horsepoor
Jul. 18, 2012, 02:39 AM
I just got the Durafan others have linked to. Since the black 14" was sold out for the season, I went with the 18" ... Oh my goodness, that moves some air! I just put up one to try it out and really happy with it, but think the smaller version will be adequate so will wait and do the other stalls next spring. We don't have heat like most of the rest of the country, fortunately!

Checked it this evening after having ran several hours since I'd read what some reported with the hot motors on other brands, but this one felt fine. Our temps are fairly reasonable, however, and I'm only running it on medium, if that makes any diff.

BellaLuna
Jul. 18, 2012, 07:46 AM
Does anyone have their fans rigged to a solar panel for a run in shed that has no power?

I'd like to know this too.

Belg
Jul. 18, 2012, 08:41 AM

No, but complements on a remarkable idea :=) Could check a marine catalog for 12 volt fans & panels, shouldn't be hard at all to rig up.

Belg
Jul. 18, 2012, 08:49 AM
No, but complements on a remarkable idea :=) Could check a marine catalog for 12 volt fans & panels, shouldn't be hard at all to rig up.

A little expensive, but...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=754255&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50523&subdeptNum=50529&classNum=50530 (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=754255&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50523&subdeptNum=50529&classNum=50530)

Aught to be able to power a few of these:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=46781&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50667&subdeptNum=50675&classNum=50676

gailbyrd
Jul. 18, 2012, 09:26 AM
The fan you want from tractor supply for the barn is this one:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/countyline-reg-direct-drive-wall-mounted-fan-18-in-blade-diameter-1025507

Not the other kind.

Win1
Jul. 18, 2012, 01:50 PM
I have several of the TSC 20 inch floor fans hung over stalls and have been very pleased with them. The motor is enclosed, although not water proof for outdoor use. The motor does get hot, but that's normal for the type of motor. They do have an auto safey shut off if they overheat. They've been on 12 hours daily in 95 degree heat for several months and have held up great. They also put out a ton of air.

mom23monkeys
Jul. 18, 2012, 10:17 PM
Anyone else with farmtek fans think they are too loud?

fatappy
Jul. 19, 2012, 12:54 PM
I just got the Durafan others have linked to. Since the black 14" was sold out for the season, I went with the 18" ... Oh my goodness, that moves some air! .

Do you have to scream when you are in the barn with these fans?

horsepoor
Jul. 19, 2012, 02:11 PM
Do you have to scream when you are in the barn with these fans?

I have the one Durafan working side by side with two box fans right now (until I replace those box fans with the 14" Durafan -- but it is sold out in black until next year). The Durafan on low or medium isn't any louder than the box fans which are always on high, but it moves a lot more air. On high, the Durafan is louder, but I doubt I will ever use it on that speed.

I have one horse that is very weird about stuff above him and when he is in the cross ties, the Durafan is up above and behind him (aimed at another stall) -- he doesn't care about it at all when it is on. So that speaks more of how loud it is than anything!

lovetojump2
Jul. 20, 2012, 02:34 PM
I gotone of those big $300 fans to put in the aisle fromTSC and it lasted less than a year.

the_other_mother
Jul. 22, 2012, 07:58 PM
Mine are pretty quiet!

Anyone else with farmtek fans think they are too loud?