PDA

View Full Version : BM issues. WWYD?

runNjump86
Jun. 27, 2012, 06:36 PM
I keep my horse at a homeowner's association owned self-care barn. Handy, convenient, I love it. Horses are kept in 24x24 pipe corrals.

When my gelding first arrived, he had neighbors on all sides except the gate front (naturally). This was back in March, so pre-fly season. The horse behind his corral left in April. I've never had a problem with keeping fly masks on my horse in the eight years I've had him, even when he was on pasture with other horses. He had his mask removed by a neighboring horse once, but it was my back-up mask that has single velcro lock and doesn't fit very well, so it didn't surprise me.

Last week, the same horse that was behind my corral in March came back. Since then I have had three fly masks completely destroyed, all by this horse. I know because they were in his pen every time except one, and the mask was on my horse's side of the corral but along their shared panel. The first time it was a long-nose Cashel, and the nose was ripped off. A friend repaired it, and a day later it was ripped off and the entire mask shredded. Two days after that (last night) the single-velcro mask was ripped right up the middle, from end to end.

There are two different panel heights. The two on the sides are tall, and the one behind is significantly shorter, enabling my gelding (15.1) and the bay (15h ish) to hang their heads over the top rail and play back and forth. The bay also hangs his head between the rails and plays that way. I asked the BM if they could switch out the back panel for the larger height and that I would put stud wire up after they did it to keep the horses separated. They came out yesterday and looked at it, and gave me a lame-ass excuse of "well, my Haflinger has her mask pulled off and she's in a corral with larger panels and stud wire all the way around". Um, ok, not what I asked.

I sent her an email last night saying my third mask was destroyed when I went out to feed, and I got an email back today that suggested I [B[ spray it with no-chew[/B] that they conveniently sell in the tack store for $12. UM, no. Not spraying my horse's mask with chemicals. Sorry. AND has the audacity to send me a picture of her pony "climbing" her fence. There is a maintenance crew that can replace these panels in about twenty minutes. I know because they replaced one on the side of my horse's pen because the stud wire panels that were attached to it were bending and poking out. So instead of just removing the wire, they replaced the entire panel.

I reply asking for them to please just replace the panel as I feel the taller height and addition of stud wire will solve the problem because neither horse is that motivated to "climb". I got a snarky reply back saying some of their maintenance crew is on vacation and that they really don't replace panels unless they are rusty or unsafe. :mad: Ok, then why the hell did they replace the perfectly-fine panel last month when all they had to do was cut the zip ties holding the stud wire on?!

UGH. I am so frustrated. My horse's eyes are very sensitive to dust and flies, so I *need* to keep a mask on him, but I can't afford to replace the damn thing every other day. The BM is not liked by most boarders because the rules vary from person to person and when someone has a valid complaint nothing seems to happen.

I could move to another corral, but I am next to a good friend and have wire fencing in place, plus have my tack box and hay storage right in front of my corral. Also it's in a good location as far as getting shade and a breeze. The other corral I could move to would require me to purchase/make a shade screen (because neutral colored tarps are forbidden:mad:). The biggest deterrent from switching corrals is I JUST put a load of sand in my corral, by hand/wheelbarrow.

UGH. Sorry. Just need to vent. WWYD?

Simkie
Jun. 27, 2012, 06:57 PM
Step in posts about 2' in, with hot tape? Just keep your horse away from the other horse? Sucks that you have to lose some space, but it may save your sanity and the relationship.

ReSomething
Jun. 27, 2012, 07:06 PM
I can think of lots of things I could do but they would be making improvements on the landlord's property and might not go over well with your BM.
I am not familiar with stud wire. Is that something like a wire panel or more like diamond mesh?
Anyway, If the side panels are firmly secured and you are looking to add height I might run a couple of double stranded wires across the space and use them as a base for a couple of cut down wire cattle panels. They are what, 12 or 16 feet and about 4 foot high, and should be less than $20 apiece. You say they use zip ties so I'd secure the panels with that to the wire and the existing pipe panels. That'll get your height up and stop the halter tag.

Or, I might lose some of my own square footage by running wire a foot inside the panels. Obviously a little electric wire on top of the panel would work the best but plain wire set off the panel will make it just that much harder to get close enough for the halter games.

And another option might be a more organic nasty tasting flymask coating. Problem with that is the other horse has to get a good bite on the flymask to taste it, and like they say about sharks spitting you out after one bite, it's a little too late for your flymask!

Just tossing out ideas. Replacing fly masks adds up, even the cheapest ones are $10.

runNjump86
Jun. 27, 2012, 07:15 PM
Hot wire is a no-go. Stud wire is basically heavy-duty wire fence panels. I have a roll of 2x2 wire fencing that I was going to use since it's already paid for, and the stud wire panels are about $75 a piece, and I would need two or three.

I did think of getting a couple of the heavy-duty panels and securing them so they are above the top rail of the corral panel, but my luck they would fall.

Gah. It's just frustrating because it's such a simple fix!!

Hampton Bay
Jun. 27, 2012, 07:26 PM
Ask them to move the other horse and start billing the barn for your replacement masks if they are unwilling to remedy the situation. I would tell them that you plan to deduct the cost of each destroyed mask from your board before you do it, unless of course they can separate the two horses without you having to move.

mkevent
Jun. 27, 2012, 07:46 PM
Can the other horse get your horses fly mask off if your horse is wearing a halter? Maybe a cheap leather halter that would break easily if caught on something and could withstand some equine teeth marks?

I know it's not the ideal solution but maybe it can be a temporary fix?

lorilu
Jun. 27, 2012, 08:52 PM
Maybe I missed it, but have you talked to the other horse's owner? HER horse is the issue!
L

Crockpot
Jun. 27, 2012, 09:01 PM
Ask them to move the other horse and start billing the barn for your replacement masks if they are unwilling to remedy the situation. I would tell them that you plan to deduct the cost of each destroyed mask from your board before you do it, unless of course they can separate the two horses without you having to move.

Are you serious. She has a choice can move to different t/o but doesn't wanna.

I could move to another corral, but I am next to a good friend and have wire fencing in place, plus have my tack box and hay storage right in front of my corral. Also it's in a good location as far as getting shade and a breeze.

Change t/os or move to another stable.

fordtraktor
Jun. 27, 2012, 09:28 PM
Change locations or take the mask off and use fly spray on the face if you want to stay.

There are just certain horses that will rip masks off. There is nothing the owner can do, it's the cost of doing business with horses. I keep mine at home. I have one horse that sees a mask on another horse and runs over to yank on it. He LOVES ruining masks and has shredded a brand new one in minutes. So his pasture buddy doesn't wear a mask and gets extra face fly spray/SWAT.

See if you can get the entire barn to chip in and do Solitude next year. I don't need masks any more because I don't have flies.

runNjump86
Jun. 28, 2012, 12:40 AM
The BM likes to stir the pot. She told me "Well I'll just ask them to move their horse", and I know it will come out "Michelle is complaining about your horse bothering hers, and I told her they will be fine but she is insisting its your horse causing the problem, so will you move it?" Another friend of mine has heard those conversations and received one recently.

I tried Swat...his face was caked in dust when I went back to feed. :(

No way of getting the barn to do a feed-thru program...too many boarders, huge hassle, and some are absentee owners who don't really care about anything/anyone else.

He doesn't just pull the masks off...he chews on them while they're still on my horse's face. He grabs whatever piece of it he can and goes to town. A halter won't stop him, especially since he likes to grab the middle of the mask.

I had words with the BM again tonight, so I'm hoping the panel will be switched out. If not I'm moving to a different pen and having the maintenance guys load that pen up with sand.

trubandloki
Jun. 28, 2012, 08:24 AM
He could not pull the mask off it your horse was not standing there letting him. So it is not the complete fault of the other horse.

I assume that since this property is owned by the HOA that there is a board some where that has the actual control over what is going on there? Why not write a polite letter to them asking for permission to have the maintenance workers change out the panel because YOUR horse is having a problem (not blaming the other horse).

Valentina_32926
Jun. 28, 2012, 09:44 AM
Buy solar powered hot box and put a wire inside you horses pen so he can't get near that side of the fence. Problem solved - plus YOU own the components so if you ever need to move it you can. :D

BarbB
Jun. 28, 2012, 09:59 AM
Mix some cayenne pepper into some vaseline and smear it on likely grabbing spots on the mask. Make sure where ever you put it that it can't be rubbed onto your horse's skin, eyes etc. A mouthful of that will cure most horses.

Also hog fencing is rigid welded wire fencing, usually only 4 feet high but it is light weight enough to attached to existing sturdy fencing and make the fence as tall and anti-reach-through as any other.

atlatl
Jun. 28, 2012, 10:05 AM
I know it will come out "Michelle is complaining about your horse bothering hers, and I told her they will be fine but she is insisting its your horse causing the problem, so will you move it?"

Well, this is kinda what is going on isn't it?

As was pointed out, it takes two to tango and your horse is part of the dance couple.

I had a 17.2 gelding that could basically reach over any panel. There was a little mare next to him that just hated him. He would hang his head over the panel (no biting, no snarking, just looking) and she would stand there and kick the rail. Pretty much the horsey equivalent of "QUIT LOOKING AT ME!!" I swear he did it just to irritate her.

Another boarder insisted on putting a little rubbermaid type shed next to my horse's pen (he was on the end of the row) and then put a pretty nice hay net on top where, you guessed it, he could easily reach it. It lasted two days and he had a merry time playing with it ripping it to shreds and eating the contents. She bought another one and that one lasted one day as he'd learned how much fun it was. She came close to asking me to pay for it, but probably figured that as I was cracking up while she was telling me the story that it would not be happening. Note she had been warned that he could and would reach over the panel.

Next, he decided that it was really fun to knock the lid of the thing down on her head when she opened it. He literally would wait until her head was under it. She was not happy when she complained and I suggested she move her crap where he couldn't reach since the pen wasn't going to move. Then she decided to get back at him by teasing him with hay. When I caught her doing that, I was not laughing and she stayed away from him from then on.

Such is life at boarding stables. If you really want everything your way, you probably should get your own place. That's what I'd love to do, but can't afford it so I've learned to choose my battles.