PDA

View Full Version : Fire ants..Are their numbers declining or am I just lucky?

bird4416
Jun. 27, 2012, 02:44 PM
I've been battling fire ants on my farm for the past 20 years and never really noticed any headway. I just seem to keep their numbers in check, until this year. There is a marked decrease in the number of mounds around the farm and I'm no longer finding the mega mounds that look like something a termite would build in Africa.

Has anyone else noticed a fire ant population decrease? I'm thrilled but wondering if they are secretly building a giant underground mound that will erupt someday and swallow the farm. Could I possibly be winning my war? I'm not using a new type of ant killer and nothing else has changed except a milder than normal winter.

Aggie4Bar
Jun. 27, 2012, 04:33 PM
Yes and no.

I've noticed a significant decrease in the number of above-ground mounds. However, it appears to be that they're simply staying underground. Areas that previously would have had large mounds only have a minimal signs of ant activity, yet if you disrupt the area, they still swarm out of the ground. This year is the first time I've ever found myself in ants having not stepped in them or anywhere else that remotely looked like fireant habitat.

I'm not sure what changed, but I'm honestly very curious to know now where phorid flies have been released and if they're responsible. Because the fireant behavior is different.

Underthebridge
Jun. 27, 2012, 04:40 PM
I agree, less mounds but they are there, still much less of a problem(for now).

vineyridge
Jun. 27, 2012, 09:43 PM
I know that after winter before last, which was very cold here, the number of fire ant mounds decreased tremendously. Maybe they are changing their habits to better cope with different weather patterns--ie in colder places. Of course, last winter we really didn't have winter to speak of, so I'm expecting an explosion in the ant population. :(

Armadillos like to eat them like candy.

*bj
Jun. 27, 2012, 10:44 PM
Wait until it rains.....

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Jun. 28, 2012, 12:58 AM
You sent the damn things down here didn't you?

wireweiners
Jun. 28, 2012, 01:17 PM
I've noticed a decrease in fire ants in the past several years too. I haven't had to treat any mounds in the yard and there appears to be fewer of them in the pastures also. I confess to wearing crocs or flip flops to feed and in the past, the ants would just swarm on my feet, not so for the past couple of years. I haven't had a problem with them getting in the switch points for the pump either.

ponygirl
Jun. 28, 2012, 02:53 PM
Same amount as always. I wish the damn things would drown with all the rain we have been getting. But nooo, they make "ant boats" and float around on the surface until they get to higher ground (my barn) or the waters subside.

bird4416
Jun. 29, 2012, 04:54 PM
I had never heard of phorid flies so I googled them. I read that they are in Alabama and since I'm in Georgia its conceivable that they have found their way East to my farm. Now if I could just get rid of the ticks.

Underthebridge
Jul. 3, 2012, 09:44 PM
The answer? I am definitely seeing less ants

http://www.businessinsider.com/this-fly-decapitates-ants-2012-7

bird4416
Jul. 4, 2012, 07:34 AM
These phorid flies eat ant brains and create ant zombies. Sounds like a horror movie.

AliO
Jul. 10, 2012, 05:15 PM
Central Texas here, and WAY fewer fire ants than last year.