PDA

View Full Version : sorry, more RB questions

buck22
Jun. 27, 2012, 03:41 PM
I went to check out some rounds today and might go back tomorrow with an f250 to pick up one and see how I manage it and if its deal-able (I was able to roll one around, its not easy but it can be done).

Main guy wasn't there today though, so talked with a hand and couldn't get a straight answer out of him as to the size or weight of the rounds [sigh]. All I could get was that the bale is a #5 and one "will squat a 150".

Since I don't know how to calculate many pounds it takes to squat the suspension of a F150, I need your help :lol:

The bale measures 5' diameter and is just shy of 4' wide (41" to be exact :D if you think me that anal I only measured because I want to know if it'll fit through a doorway I have in mind.. and it will by .5" :D). Does that make it a 5x4?

A 5x4 (t/o) should be in the 650-750 lb range right?

thank you!!!!

sk_pacer
Jun. 27, 2012, 04:52 PM
The bales I get are 6X6 and weigh anywhere from 1300 to just over a ton, depending what they are; alfalfa can go to 2400 in those bales while some native grasses will be 1300 or less and tame hay ranges from 1300-1800. Size doesn't mean much for bale weight but forage crop sure does. So your #5 bale (should be 5X4 to 5X5) can really weigh anything between 400 and 800 and a shade more if alfalfa.

JackSprats Mom
Jun. 27, 2012, 05:07 PM
Think the ones I get are 5x4 and a good 650-700lbs

JB
Jun. 27, 2012, 05:23 PM
I agree on that weight range, though of course it depends on how tightly packed it is. If it's pretty well "hard", then probably the upper range. A very loose one could be closer to 600

Hampton Bay
Jun. 27, 2012, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE=buck22;6399786...

Since I don't know how to calculate many pounds it takes to squat the suspension of a F150, I need your help :lol:...[/QUOTE]

Not very many. Not very many at all. The newer F150s have THE WORST suspension known to man. I am having to put air shocks on my 2011 truck that's rated to pull 9500lb because the dealership won't even look at it, and the truck isn't safe to drive with anything even close to what it's rated to pull or carry in the bed.

I don't know for sure, but I would say 500 to 600 lb in the bed of mine will squat it.

buck22
Jun. 27, 2012, 10:33 PM
Thank you guys so much! I think this one was on the looser side, I was able to wiggle my fingers into the center a bit to check for dampness.

Well, price went up from last year (surprise surprise), at 650# +/- its not the enormous savings I'd hoped, closer to 30-40% savings than 75% savings at last years prices. Closing the gap on being worth the effort.

I do want to try at least one round so I can get a feel for managing it. Debating whether to go get the one I looked at today, first cutting t/o. I bought a small square of beautiful fragrant green first cut O from another field and my spoiled rotten ponies turned their noses up at it :mad:. Its bad enough having a few small squares that you have to force feed the picky crew... the prospect of shoving and entire round bale down their gullets isn't terribly thrilling (they might finally loose weight in their hunger strike though.. hmmmm... )

Then of course I'll have to suffer the never ending parade of "I told you so!" :lol: from all my friends who are convinced this is a horrible idea.

Decisions decisions.

Oh gosh Hampton, thats disappointing. Sadly where I live people mostly drive 150s for "looks" :lol: :sadsmile:. When the hand told me it'd bog a bed down like that I was hoping the bale was in the 800#+ range, but given what you said it makes sense about the weight.

But thank you all!!!! I needed the confidence to give this a try.

katarine
Jun. 27, 2012, 10:51 PM
mine won't look at hay this time of year if there is anything green growing out of the ground to eat.

only alfalfa merits a look.

buck22
Jun. 27, 2012, 10:56 PM
Thats the goofy thing, I turn my guys out on thick pasture each am for 45 min while I get the morning rolling, and they come RUNNING and whickering when I bring out the hay, just plain ol second cut orchard from last July. I leave their access to the pasture open all morning and they just move from hay pile to hay pile. I even have to mow their usual paddock because they're not eating it, just whickering for more hay please!

My friend is experiencing the same thing right now, horse is eating her out of house and home in hay while she has to mow the grass. Same hay source. Really odd.

This is a really weird year as far as nature is concerned.

sk_pacer
Jun. 27, 2012, 11:04 PM
Careful if those are soft core and last year's hay - soft core bales don't winter as well as hard core.

buck22
Jun. 27, 2012, 11:08 PM
Oh no, anything I'm considering buying is this years hay... This RB is only about 4-5 days old. But thank you for the heads up!

My horses are currently still working on what I bought last July, so strange its still retained its crack-like allure :lol: despite acres of thick green grass and clover.

SuckerForHorses
Jun. 28, 2012, 09:24 AM
I have a 2008 F-150 FX4, V8, and 1 round bale approximately 600 lbs didn't make the truck squat at all.

JB
Jun. 28, 2012, 09:37 AM
Yep, just get this bale and see what happens :)

Paddys Mom
Jun. 28, 2012, 11:24 AM
When you put the bale in your barn, leave plenty of space all the way around it!
It needs the air circulation, especially since it is so newly baled, but also so you can peel off the hay.

Good luck!
(Still trying to get rid of my three round bales.)