PDA

View Full Version : any updates on the Pollard case?

pegasus209
Jun. 27, 2012, 11:41 AM
hello all,
hope this isn't reopening the wound but I was wondering if there have been any updates on the case and/or sentencing?
I'm asking because someone on another board suggested something for a similar case.
Basically, they said you can "file a suit in small claims court against the country the alien came from for their negligence in not providing their citizens proper documentation to enter the USA legally" and sue for damages resulting from said person's actions. Apparently you can sieze assets (coming into the country) if you win the case?

Is this possible? Any lawyers care to jump in? thanks

findeight
Jun. 27, 2012, 11:53 AM
How on earth would you file a case in small claims when the "defendent" is the government of a foreign country? How could you even enforce a judgement when they default by not showing up (and that country is not going to send an official representitive to small claims court)? And who would sieze what assets and where?

Logic and a whole lot of details seem to be missing there.

pegasus209
Jun. 27, 2012, 11:58 AM
No idea. Thats why I asked :D
I guess I'm just secretly hoping they can get justice somehow.

Equibrit
Jun. 27, 2012, 12:00 PM
By that logic you could sue ICE and the border patrol for "letting" them through. Faulty logic and wishful thinking. Sovereign immunity would be a consideration too.
One would hope that the Pollards carried insurance for uninsured drivers; http://www.sbsalaw.com/CM/Articles/UM_Seminar_Paper.pdf

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 27, 2012, 12:10 PM
the answer is no. That wouldn't work and isn't worth the legal battle and costs to lose.

The pollards could have protected themselves w/insurance.

For example, I have the max of uninsured/underinsured insurance on my cars and trailer. Horse may also be insured. These are costs you can incure to give some protection from just such accidents and are highly recommended. It sounds like they unfortunately didn't have such protections...and it is a tragic and expensive lesson.

It sucks...but going after the country of the other driver is unfortnately no solution. Soveriegn Immunity would eliminate any such liability even if a "negligenece" claim could be won.

findeight
Jun. 27, 2012, 12:20 PM
The OPs question was specific to small claims court.

In most states that's a 5k cap even if you do prevail. But doubt even filing a civil suit in regular court would be successful even if you could prove the court had the jurisdiction to hear the case and prove that immigration status was in any way part of the cause of the accident. Failure to carry insurance is a state matter anyway.

Derby Lyn Farms
Jun. 27, 2012, 04:16 PM
Not sure if this was talked about, sorry if it was but here is the press release that I received in an email. To me, it sounds like they may recoup something from the other driver, but with the other driver having limited coverage I guess this could mean little or no money at all.

"Additionally, in response to many requests Pollard Eventing is establishing a Road to Recovery fund on its website where supporters can donate to help cover veterinary and equipment expenses incurred as a result of the trailer accident in which three horses lost their lives, and for which no coverage existed. "We were self insured with the horses and unfortunately a clerical error left our trailer without insurance. The driver of the vehicle that caused the accident had very limited coverage and it has put us in a very difficult situation. While we are very fortunate in many ways we were not properly prepared for this type of accident. We have received incredible support since this tragedy from people offering to help so we decided to establish this fund where donations will be used to rebuild Pollard Eventing. It is our focus to become a contender for future U.S. teams with the goal of making the 2014 World Equestrian Games in Normandy and 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janiero," said Pollard."

FrittSkritt
Jun. 27, 2012, 04:27 PM
"We were self insured with the horses and unfortunately a clerical error left our trailer without insurance."

Wait a sec, I thought they originally said none of their horses were insured? (I'm presuming by "self insured" they meant medical/mortality.)

deltawave
Jun. 27, 2012, 04:30 PM
They said the TRAILER was left off the insurance policy. Self insured means "I keep money in the bank in case of emergencies".

Appsolute
Jun. 27, 2012, 04:33 PM
Wait a sec, I thought they originally said none of their horses were insured? (I'm presuming by "self insured" they meant medical/mortality.)

"self insured" means that there wasn't an insurance company in the mix.

Lets say you set aside $10,000 for unforeseen medical expenses. Your horse would then be "self insured" for $10,000.

Honestly, its a fancy way of saying the horses were not insured, but a rainy day fund was set aside.

McGurk
Jun. 27, 2012, 04:33 PM
"Self-insured" usually means that the company or business accepts the liability. Common for very large companied with good cash flow.

"Self-insured" is the opposite of "Fully-insured" which means an insurance company or underwriter accepts the liaility in return for premium payments.

In this case, I think it means Pollard Eventing has to eat the loss.

kerlin
Jun. 27, 2012, 04:38 PM
I was under the impression that high-dollar & high-level horses were all insured. Does anyone know how common it is to carry insurance on an upper-level horse? I also had the impression that medical insurance automatically meant loss of use/mortality insurance. I can't imagine handling the vet bills on an upper-level horse without some kind of insurance.

SnicklefritzG
Jun. 27, 2012, 04:48 PM
@kerlin: That's what I thought too. I was surprised to hear that the horses were not insured. I would have assumed they would be based on the level at which they are competing. That is unless they are over a certain age like 15/16 when insurance companies no longer offer policies.

faybe
Jun. 27, 2012, 04:50 PM
I was under the impression that high-dollar & high-level horses were all insured. Does anyone know how common it is to carry insurance on an upper-level horse? I also had the impression that medical insurance automatically meant loss of use/mortality insurance. I can't imagine handling the vet bills on an upper-level horse without some kind of insurance.

I know of very few, if any, upper level event horses with loss of use policies. Many insurance companies won't even offer them to eventers, and if they do the cost is exorbitant. As far as major medical- for some people it is more cost effective to "self insure" (have a rainy day fund or what have you) and they carry no policy. And many people will get mortality coverage, but not for the horse's true worth. Our upper level horse could be sold for MUCH more than what he is insured for, but the premium for that coverage is more than we are able to afford right now. If something were to happen to him, we would get enough from the insurance company to go out and buy an eventing prospect, NOT to replace him with a horse of equal training/experience. That said, we carry insurance on him for the major medical, not for the mortality, because, you're right, the vet bills on an UL horse are staggering.

joiedevie99
Jun. 27, 2012, 04:51 PM

Many upper level horses are insured, but certainly not all. Yes, you almost always must carry a mortality policy on the horse in order to purchase medical, surgical or loss-of-use insurance.

Honestly, medical/surgical insurance isn't quite as helpful as you might think. It doesn't pay for maintenance - - i.e. no coverage for Adequan, Legend, joint injections, swimming, massages, chiro, etc. There are also usually exclusions for pre-existing conditions, so a horse that is prone to injuries could end up with exclusions on 3 of 4 legs after a year or two and then you have to decide whether the premium you pay is worth it to cover that 1 leg (or whether you want to suck it up for the year in hopes that you can get the exclusions removed in future years).

It is very helpful with medically necessary surgery, diagnostics (MRI, x-rays, ultrasounds, nuclear scans, etc.), and most companies cover PRP, IRAP, shockwave and the like after an injury.

wanderlust
Jun. 27, 2012, 04:54 PM
Literally just saw it pop up on my facebook news feed that Michael and team have purchased Ballingowan Pizazz via a syndicate! He was Shannon Lilley's horse she rode in the last Pan Ams, and she has been laid up due to back surgery.

Congrats guys! He is a lovely, lovely horse!

faybe
Jun. 27, 2012, 04:56 PM
Honestly, medical/surgical insurance isn't quite as helpful as you might think. It doesn't pay for maintenance - - i.e. no coverage for Adequan, Legend, joint injections, swimming, massages, chiro, etc. There are also usually exclusions for pre-existing conditions, so a horse that is prone to injuries could end up with exclusions on 3 of 4 legs after a year or two and then you have to decide whether the premium you pay is worth it to cover that 1 leg (or whether you want to suck it up for the year in hopes that you can get the exclusions removed in future years).

It is very helpful with medically necessary surgery, diagnostics (MRI, x-rays, ultrasounds, nuclear scans, etc.), and most companies cover PRP, IRAP, shockwave and the like after an injury.

Ain't this the truth! We carry it in case of colic needing surgery or some other serious injury requiring major therapy/rehab or hospitalization. We pay "maintenance" medicine costs out of pocket (joint injections, Adequan/Legend, mesotherapy, any fluids at events, regular vet jog ups, etc etc)... and boy does it add up :eek:.

HorseLuvr
Jun. 27, 2012, 05:41 PM
Trying to figure out why he is asking people to donate money to help him but then goes and purchases a new (expensive) horse.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 27, 2012, 05:43 PM
Trying to figure out why he is asking people to donate money to help him but then goes and purchases a new (expensive) horse.

A syndicate of supporters bought one horse....he lost 3 (and vet bills), a trailer and truck. If supporters want to help and he is making it easier for them...I see no issue.

retreadeventer
Jun. 27, 2012, 05:52 PM
God forbid that anyone who has EVER lost a horse through such a terrible accident (let alone THREE horses, let alone THREE UPPER LEVEL horses, let alone a truck and a 6-horse trailer!!!!) would have the balls to post here criticizing the poor guy who experienced these losses. There but for the grace of God goes thou and I. Do ALL of you have your trailers and your horses insured to the max? If not, why not? Well, there's your answer. Go back to the Troll Bridge, but stop and call your insurance agent on the way and price such coverage if you can even get it. As far as I am concerned he can fund his replacement horses and vehicles any darn way he wants to, and bless him for even considering going forward in the sport after such a tough loss. He had an Olympic team berth literally evaporate as a result of this, something riders work their entire lives to accomplish. It is very hard for me to read some of these comments sometimes, they make me mad as they are so rude and inconsiderate. I just wish you NEVER have a trailer accident with your horse, it is so scary and so nerve-wracking. I cannot imagine pulling a trailer and having a horse die as a result. I just cannot imagine it.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 27, 2012, 06:08 PM
I just want to be clear...I'm not criticizing the Pollards at all..in any of my posts.

Just the only "protection" one has in this situation is really insurance. I also understand why people do not always have everything insured to the nines. There really isn't a right or wrong here.

I do carry extensive under/uninsured motorist insurance on my cars, truck and trailer (I also carry high personal liability policies too). I do not have all my horses insured. I have in the past and see pros and cons. I would never have an UL horse insured to the maximum/replacement value and don't know many folks that do.

My point was more that litigation is not a way for them to get any recovery....and shouldn't be a way people think they will be covered. I personally didn't know much about things like under/uninsured insurance beyond what I was required by law until I saw what happened to some close friends. That caused me to learn from what happened to them...it can at least be one positive thing to come out such a tragic accident.

And I too think that they have handled the situation with grace and class....and am very excited to cheer them on to success in the future.

Retropony
Jun. 27, 2012, 06:09 PM
I totally agree with Retreadeventer! What amazes me is how the Pollard's have moved forward and handled a horrific situation with such grace. It doesnt sound like he's asking for handouts, just streamlining the process for those who have indicated a desire to help them financially.

SnicklefritzG
Jun. 27, 2012, 06:35 PM
In defense of Horseluvr, there are a lot of people who have lost more and suffered greatly, much more so than M.P., through no fault of their own. Some of these folks (maybe most) don't have thd benefit of being famous or having the specialized talents to attract supporters who can help them get back on their feet.

I think it's a fair question, and there are certainly ways to answers it without the snark.

deltawave
Jun. 27, 2012, 06:35 PM

Some are, but certainly not all. The premium to insure a six-figure horse competing at the Advanced level would be GIGANTIC.

Loss of use insurance is entirely separate from mortality insurance and is even MORE expensive. Between a mortality policy and loss of use on a hundred thousand dollar horse, the premium would be MANY thousands per year.

Insurance is not there for routine vet bills, but rather for catastrophes.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 27, 2012, 06:40 PM
In defense of Horseluvr, there are a lot of people who have lost more and suffered greatly, much more so than M.P., through no fault of their own. Some of these folks (maybe most) don't have thd benefit of being famous or having the specialized talents to attract supporters who can help them get back on their feet.

I think it's a fair question, and there are certainly ways to answers it without the snark.

you can say that about anything though. For some people, money should be sent to those suffering in Haiti or name your disaster of the week. Others will think none of us should spend what we spend on any of our horses. I don't think it is a fair question nor asked in any manner other than put down. It is clear the Pollards are moving forward, pulling together sydicates but also have supportors willing to contribute to their goals. There is nothing crass or wrong with that.

SnicklefritzG
Jun. 27, 2012, 06:56 PM
I think it is a fair question - for all we know the person who asked it might not be familiar with the details, which when provided , could help explain what is really going on. So in that sense the question can be answered without people flaming that person

subk
Jun. 27, 2012, 07:05 PM
And I too think that they have handled the situation with grace and class....and am very excited to cheer them on to success in the future.
I don't think it can be said enough as to how dignified and classy the Pollards have handled this situation.

I would also say it can be a completely reasonable and prudent finacial decision to not buy equine insurance for expensive horses. A few years of putting premiums aside (or leaving that money in growth fund/investment of some sort) on multiple upper level horses would go very, very far in providing replacement costs on an upper level horse. In many, many (if not most cases) IF you have the finacial where withall it is a better move to carry the risk yourself.

I would bet fewer upper level horses are insured than many of you think.

faybe
Jun. 27, 2012, 07:14 PM
I just want to be clear...I'm not criticizing the Pollards at all..in any of my posts.

Just the only "protection" one has in this situation is really insurance. I also understand why people do not always have everything insured to the nines. There really isn't a right or wrong here.

I do carry extensive under/uninsured motorist insurance on my cars, truck and trailer (I also carry high personal liability policies too). I do not have all my horses insured. I have in the past and see pros and cons. I would never have an UL horse insured to the maximum/replacement value and don't know many folks that do.

My point was more that litigation is not a way for them to get any recovery....and shouldn't be a way people think they will be covered. I personally didn't know much about things like under/uninsured insurance beyond what I was required by law until I saw what happened to some close friends. That caused me to learn from what happened to them...it can at least be one positive thing to come out such a tragic accident.

+1

faybe
Jun. 27, 2012, 07:19 PM

The money being donated was for that exact purpose- to help rebuild what was lost. He received so many offers of aid that he set up a streamlined process to help field all of those offers, he is not going around asking for handouts and crying "woe is me"! Good grief, what a thing to say. Have you followed the situation at all?

columbus
Jun. 27, 2012, 09:32 PM
They are being very open about what is a horrible process. I would imagine more than a little of the openness is so we can all learn second hand what they are learning first hand. I thank them for that as there are bound to be those who damn them openly...not learning a thing from the process...or recognizing it as a lesson. This is a lesson folks. Look at your own insurance. Plan as if you had a similar accident, protect yourself as best you can. Mentally, walk through the whole of an accident what would you do, who would you turn to. Take from this experience all you can. Thanks to the Pollards for sharing the process. PatO

gold2012
Jun. 27, 2012, 09:55 PM
I am a bit confused. Boyd Martin has a fire, asks for help, and many gush to help him. He gets donated money, tack, horses, and the list goes on. And nothing personal, he isnt American, Mr. pollard, thru o fault of his, loses all THREE of his horses in a horrific manner, and a trailer, and we are being snarky over insurance? Or lack? Couldnt the same be true of the dire situation?

As an aside, you all might be very shocked at the number of horses NOT insured, or way UNDER insured.

Michael Pollard is a very sweet man. He will say Hi, he will lend a hand, etc. etc. never once has he ignored a request for help, not signed an autograph, or been too busy to talk to a fan. Can the same be said of others we have deemed worthy of our help on this board?

deltawave
Jun. 27, 2012, 10:02 PM
Only one person raised a question about the donations. It's not like everyone is piling on here and I didn't detect any snark at all, really.

monstrpony
Jun. 28, 2012, 08:54 AM
I don't believe they ever asked for donations, other than saying that they would be attempting to set up some syndicates. I believe they have set up a process to receive donations only because they have received numerous unsolicited offers.

Read the fine print, folks--what this has been is a case study in how to publicly handle extreme loss with grace and dignity.

flutie1
Jun. 28, 2012, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=gold2012;6400487]I am a bit confused. Boyd Martin has a fire, asks for help, and many gush to help him. He gets donated money, tack, horses, and the list goes on. And nothing personal, he isnt American

Huh? Isn't American? What is he then?

Equibrit
Jun. 28, 2012, 02:17 PM
I find it really hard to believe that those involved NEED money. (Boyd probably did)
The family business; http://www.blissflooring.com/bliss/about/beaulieu/beaulieu/floor-covering.aspx

Appsolute
Jun. 28, 2012, 02:36 PM
[QUOTE=gold2012;6400487]I am a bit confused. Boyd Martin has a fire, asks for help, and many gush to help him. He gets donated money, tack, horses, and the list goes on. And nothing personal, he isnt American

Huh? Isn't American? What is he then?

He is American.. he has dual citizenship (hence riding for the US). He was born in Australia, and did not move here until a few years ago.

PonyGal08
Jun. 28, 2012, 03:03 PM
I find it really hard to believe that those involved NEED money. (Boyd probably did)
The family business; http://www.blissflooring.com/bliss/about/beaulieu/beaulieu/floor-covering.aspx

That's CB's business NOT NP's and certainly not MP's :rolleyes:

Mouse&Bay
Jun. 28, 2012, 03:08 PM
I think we all need to take the opportunity to hit the pause button and reflect on what we have learned from this.

Insurance is important - whether you are self insured or purchase a policy. The worst case scenario can happen. Plan for it so you can rest easy and know that you have made the decisions that are needed and are confident with the choices/options available to you.

http://www.siskinds.com/Publications/All/-Trailer-Insurance-.aspx

Don't forget the human component. The people also need to be insured. They need to have medical insurance to be able to recover from injuries.

I'm in Ontario where the insurance policies - unknown to most drivers - have decreased the amount of medical/rehabilitation benefits from $100K to $50K. Most people don't know. It is not as if the insurance premiums have been sliced in half. Take the 5 minutes to speak with your insurance broker to make the choices needed so you don't find yourself regretting it after the fact.

http://www.siskinds.com/CMSPages/PortalTemplate.aspx?aliaspath=%2fPublications%2fAl l%2fontario-car-insurance-tips

Good luck to the Pollards in dealing with all of this. I agree that they have done this with class and grace.

Equibrit
Jun. 28, 2012, 03:14 PM
That's CB's business NOT NP's and certainly not MP's :rolleyes:

NP's mother's and family's. Article on the De Clerck family; http://www.floordaily.net/Flooring-News/de_clerck_family_companies_of_belgium_seek_partner .aspx
CB was asked to step down from Beaulieu Group in 2007 as part of a plea agreement in the wake of a tax evasion scandal. http://www.justice.gov/usao/gan/press/2007/06-15-07.pdf

PonyGal08
Jun. 28, 2012, 03:32 PM
NP's mother's and family's. Article on the De Clerck family; http://www.floordaily.net/Flooring-News/de_clerck_family_companies_of_belgium_seek_partner .aspx
CB was asked to step down from Beaulieu Group in 2007 as part of a plea agreement in the wake of a tax evasion scandal. http://www.justice.gov/usao/gan/press/2007/06-15-07.pdf

Still not NP's and MP's.... I don't know about you, but I'm not subsidized by my parents never mind my in-laws..... nor am I entitled to any of THEIR money until god forbid their estate passes to me.

As it's already be stated, the Pollards haven't asked for handouts, only streamlined the process for those who OFFERED. Goodness, leave them alone! Their finances is just that THEIRS!!! Not anyone's business just as your finances are not anyone else's business.

Neigh-Neigh
Jun. 28, 2012, 10:39 PM
I think the P's were very quick on their feet to set up a great recovery program for themselves. Like it's been said, they didn't beg for help. People wanted to help and they found a way the most of what people are willingly, giving them. If syndication is involved, then they don't 100% own the new horses. They lost more money in assets in 10 days, than many people make in 20yrs, and they aren't crying, they're making the best of it. What were they supposed to do? Throw in the towel, get jobs at McDonalds and start saving for a new horse? :)

I would also like to commend them on their class and grace. I promise you I wouldn't have been so gracious, or underspoken about the man who killed my horses.

MeghanDACVA
Jun. 29, 2012, 04:30 PM
Do ALL of you have your trailers and your horses insured to the max? If not, why not? Well, there's your answer.

Yes. Both trailers, both trucks (one rig is bigger than Pollards, and my salary is chump change for him, and hubby is retired). Upper level horse IS insured, and insured well.

Been there, done it, experienced the losses, thank you very much. And no one bailed me out with a recovery fund. Yes, I feel for him, very much so, esp since I have been in very similar shoes. But I am not the CEO of several companies, I cannot get a syndicate together to buy a PanAm horse, etc. But I also make darned sure I don't have clerical errors happen like this. I, unfortunately, can't afford those kind of clerical errors. So instead I scrape together the monthly insurance payments to be sure I am covered.

Now, back under my bridge with the rest of the normal people who still stand in awe of people like the Pollards.

Equibrit
Jun. 29, 2012, 06:11 PM
Still not NP's and MP's.... I don't know about you, but I'm not subsidized by my parents never mind my in-laws..... nor am I entitled to any of THEIR money until god forbid their estate passes to me.

http://pollardeventing.com/meet-the-team/
In addition to Chatsworth Stud, Michael is also CEO of several carpet and equine related businesses run out of Dalton, GA.

Appsolute
Jun. 29, 2012, 06:58 PM
In addition to Chatsworth Stud, Michael is also CEO of several carpet and equine related businesses run out of Dalton, GA.
I honestly do not know, but does running the stud / facility equate to owning it?

Michael Pollard and his wife Nathalie run Chatsworth Stud

Also, not every CEO earns six figures and up... some make hardly anything. I wonder what the profit margins are on these carpet companies, and how much of the CEO function Michael is able to handle while training and competing full time.

Bottom line is... if you do not want to support him, you do not have to. Same goes for every eventing syndicate. Fact is MOST at the top of this sport are not paupers.

PonyGal08
Jun. 29, 2012, 07:06 PM

Oh goodness gracious and that AUTOMATICALLY means he's worth tons of money? Guess what, I can start a business tomorrow and call myself a CEO. Unless you have access to his or his business's financial records give it a rest. This "stalking" really speaks volumes about you.

Equibrit
Jun. 30, 2012, 12:23 AM
It's common knowledge that the family control the biggest carpet enterprise in the world, plus others. No stalking required.

SnicklefritzG
Jun. 30, 2012, 12:31 AM
Oh goodness gracious and that AUTOMATICALLY means he's worth tons of money? Guess what, I can start a business tomorrow and call myself a CEO. Unless you have access to his or his business's financial records give it a rest. This "stalking" really speaks volumes about you.

And the one finger you pointed at PG...there are three back at yourself.

come on people, some folks asking questions may have no idea what the real situation is, that some people are *offering* to help M.P. and the funding website is mainly for them...There's nothing wrong with asking if you truly don't know.

and when someone states a fact that you happen to disagree with, that doesn't make them a stalker or anything other than someone restating something that is easily available elsewhere if one cares to look.

NStephensUCD
Jun. 30, 2012, 10:14 AM

While they certainly have not cried poverty, I think many of us are thinking, gee, if any family has the resources to rebuild without financial assistance from those less financially secure, it's this one.

PonyGal08
Jun. 30, 2012, 12:48 PM
And the one finger you pointed at PG...there are three back at yourself.

come on people, some folks asking questions may have no idea what the real situation is, that some people are *offering* to help M.P. and the funding website is mainly for them...There's nothing wrong with asking if you truly don't know.

and when someone states a fact that you happen to disagree with, that doesn't make them a stalker or anything other than someone restating something that is easily available elsewhere if one cares to look.

Saying MYOB is not finger pointing. And I never said people can't ask questions, but saying they're undeserving or shouldn't have people want to donate because they may or may not have more money reeks of the green eyed monster. Are they hurting you? No. Geez.

gorebels91
Jun. 30, 2012, 12:58 PM
The Pollards are WONDERFUL people. It'd behoove everyone on here to not gossip about them. Michael grew up in a normal family without tons of wealth. He's worked harder than most to get where he is. He has a family and horses to feed. And for you who point fingers at them for not having their horses insured, news for you, Boyd's Neville wasn't insured either. I can probably count on 2 hands the number of 4* rides, especially those in large programs, who are insured. The Pollards are simply trying to rebuild what was lost. Please keep your negative comments to yourself.