PDA

View Full Version : Assuage my black snake guilt please...

MediaMD
Jun. 27, 2012, 09:53 AM
Stuck a pitchfork into the manure pile to turn and accidentally speared a black snake that was hiding inside the pile. I thought it would be way too hot in summer under a black plastic sheet AND inside the pile for a snake but apparently not.

I know, mock me if you must, but once I recovered from my initial shock and shook him off the fork-- he slithered away into the woods--I felt really awful and am hoping someone can tell me he won't die a miserable death alone in the forest but will live to fight another day.

Yes, it's "only a snake" but I still feel guilty and hopeful the puncture wound is not a mortal injury. :-(

Nezzy
Jun. 27, 2012, 10:31 AM
i think it depends on where he got stabbed, if you got any internal organs, etc.. i think otherwise he might recover. you did not mean to hurt him, don't feel too badly. Many reptiles can get thru worse, hopefully it's just a flesh wound.

Coyoteco
Jun. 27, 2012, 10:38 AM
I know how you feel. We cut and bale hay, and the hardest thing is avoiding the snakes. We try everything we know to keep them from getting hurt. I'd like to know more about snake "first aid" and am very interested in the answers to your post.

MediaMD
Jun. 27, 2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks for not ridiculing me like Mr. MediaMD did...although the "it's only a flesh wound" comment did make me think of Monty Python.

According to the snake anatomy chart I just found based on Nezzy's comment about the internal organs I would guess I impaled him in the lung or the liver.

I have to think if I'd gotten the vena cava or the aorta which are nearby he would not have shimmyed away with as much vigor and was certainly not trailing blood.

OK...maybe he/she will indeed survive the attack of the killer pitchfork.

Burbank
Jun. 27, 2012, 11:36 AM
I'm sorry hopefuly he will be okay but its not like you meant to

leaf
Jun. 27, 2012, 11:45 AM
That's right, it was an accident.
I'm glad you feel bad about it. I'm not trying to be mean, just glad that there are people out there who feel bad about hurting a snake. I know many who would have done it deliberately.

Nezzy
Jun. 27, 2012, 02:26 PM
it is possible the prong on the fork pushed aside the liver or whatever and he just got stabbed beside it. You never know. if he could get away, he might make it.

HPFarmette
Jun. 27, 2012, 03:34 PM
I hope he makes it. Since he got away that sounds like he might. Imagine my guilt at accidently digging into a rabbit nest....

ReSomething
Jun. 27, 2012, 07:10 PM
DH shoveled a brown and yellow fat looking snake and at first blow thought it was a copperhead so he finished it off. He looked closer and now he thinks it was a corn snake, and felt bad about it. Let's hope your snake makes a full recovery.

RedmondDressage
Jun. 27, 2012, 07:24 PM
Ugh, I hate that feeling. At least there is hope that he survived and it seems like him slithering off is a good sign.... Last week I went up to the loft to drop hay and just HAD to take a picture of the baby swallows. They all jumped out of the nest and one dropped into my chicken stall... One of my hens grabbed him before I could get down there and killed him right in front of me. I was horrified and felt SO awful :(

Guin
Jun. 27, 2012, 07:40 PM
That's right, it was an accident.
I'm glad you feel bad about it. I'm not trying to be mean, just glad that there are people out there who feel bad about hurting a snake. I know many who would have done it deliberately.

:yes::yes:

RiverBendPol
Jun. 28, 2012, 07:44 AM
I bet he'll be OK...Snakes have remarkable healing skills...

I have the same feeling going on here-Yesterday I found a teeny fawn sleeping in my hay field. When it got up, I saw that the LF was dangling from a swollen knee. It gimped away, alone, across my field to goodness knows where. I am so sad and worried about the poor little thing. If only I could catch it, there is a fantastic wildlife rehab center right up the road from me........Booo.

MediaMD
Jun. 28, 2012, 06:05 PM
My black-snake-guilt is easing now thanks to the COTH community--thanks for the kind, ridicule-free responses.

Can't imagine how dreadful I'd feel if the stabee had been a bunny or another feathered or furry animal. My sympathies to all who have witnessed or inadvertently caused the demise of a living creature..

We can't always prevent or ease suffering in the wild, but clearly many on this board do everything in their power to preserve and protect them and I'm grateful for you.

Bacardi1
Jun. 28, 2012, 08:05 PM
Don't feel guilty at all!!!!! It was an accident.

Think of all the idiots here who kill them on purpose. THOSE are the ones who should feel guilty.

Zu Zu
Jun. 28, 2012, 09:08 PM
I NEVER FEEL 'GUILTY' ~ IT'S ALWAYS AN ACCIDENT !

Don't feel guilty at all!!!!! It was an accident.

Think of all the idiots here who kill them on purpose. THOSE are the ones who should feel guilty.

Bacardi1
Jun. 28, 2012, 09:27 PM
WHATEVER, ZU ZU.:rolleyes:

jcotton
Jun. 28, 2012, 09:45 PM
My favorite kind of snake is a DEAD one. I kill snakes that are near or on my porch/house. Lawnmower or sharpshooter shovel are my favorite weapons. Then I look them up in my snake book if I don't recognize the markings.

Go play in the pastures not where I live. They have 300+ other acres to live on--not my 5 acres of where I reside. The same goes for raccoons, possums, skunks, armadillos, feral pigs,....

wildlifer
Jun. 28, 2012, 09:47 PM
It was an accident, no avoiding it. He might not make it, but I think of it this way -- if he does not, other wildlife will eat him, helping them along with an easier meal. Perhaps an owl or a hawk or a fox somewhere says thank you.

I would feel terrible too -- I slam on my brakes for sticks on dirt roads if they look snakey. But there's only so much you can do -- when we are working and some of our fish that we have sampled expire (we do our best do prevent it, but some species just don't like nets. Or touching. Or whatever.), I feed bad for them, but I know that a water snake or a muskrat or a heron will make good use of them and their energy.